Archived Close Talkers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just posting to see if anyone relates. Does anyone deal with a lot of close talking guests that usually have bad breath? I feel my sanity peeling away thread by thread each time I'm persistently approached by a close talker that has a lot of questions.

47114222_10155887653207997_6203796039611187200_n.jpg

Years ago there was an Hr in our store who was tall and imposing and when we had conversations he all but stepped on my feet.
I had to tell him “Stop that! Step back.” He was surprised. It was stupid, sophomoric intimidation shit but it ended after that.

I 90% can't smell. It's mostly a useless superpower, but it does protect me from most B O and bad breath. Do people really smell things all day? Or just if it's particularly strong?

Sometimes, I'll just turn around and blast a gnarley fart at them. As they wipe their eyes, I mosy off...

Like everyone else said, just step back. If you have a vehicle by you, go around to the other side of it as you talk to them so you have something to keep between you and said offender of personal space.

It does creep me out though, people who get that close. I don't know you, dude, back the fuck off.

Welcome to retail.

Make a fake call on the walkie saying you just did the bathroom check while wiping your hands excessively.

Turn your head and act like your coughing or sneezing with a BAD COLD. Extra phlegmy.

Pull out a roll of Mentos and pop one for yourself.

Last edited:
Is it mostly foreigners?
I know many overseas countries don't have a problem being real close to you when conversing.
The whole 3-feet apart rule is very much an American thing.

Not to defend them. Could just be social unawareness on their part. It is creepy when our norm is otherwise.

But yes, just step back.

Maybe you should look at yourself to see why so many step so close. Are you soft spoken? Are you taking into account that if they are stepping close then maybe you should raise the volume? I have the opposite problem, so damn many people mumble or speak so soft that I would need to read lips to tell what they want. When I say "I can't hear you, you're very soft" they don't raise the volume. I step forward in hopes that closing the distance will enable me to hear and they step back and keep mumbling/whispering. Indoor voice isn't library or movie theater voice, so really look at how loud you normally talk and try talking as loud as if you were standing next to a diesel engine and needed to be heard over it.

Maybe you should look at yourself to see why so many step so close. Are you soft spoken? Are you taking into account that if they are stepping close then maybe you should raise the volume? I have the opposite problem, so damn many people mumble or speak so soft that I would need to read lips to tell what they want. When I say "I can't hear you, you're very soft" they don't raise the volume. I step forward in hopes that closing the distance will enable me to hear and they step back and keep mumbling/whispering. Indoor voice isn't library or movie theater voice, so really look at how loud you normally talk and try talking as loud as if you were standing next to a diesel engine and needed to be heard over it.

I'll keep that in mind. My general self assessment is that I speak in a rather clear, easy to understand manner at a moderate volume. Usually a guest approaches as close as they can get as they are explaining what they need. Typically I defensively step back as they approach, which may be encouraging them to get closer for whatever their reasons may be. I'll speak louder to see if it helps though.

HOWEVER, bad hygene usually is detectable in taking distances. I'm just generally surprised by these bad stenches.

Is it mostly foreigners?
I know many overseas countries don't have a problem being real close to you when conversing.
The whole 3-feet apart rule is very much an American thing.

Not to defend them. Could just be social unawareness on their part. It is creepy when our norm is otherwise.

But yes, just step back.

Unfortunately yeah, a lot of it comes from foreigners however, there is a good mix of locals in the mix of "Surprise! I STINK!!" Category. Women and men too.

I have 2 coworkers with bad breath. One of them is also a close talker. Step back, you say? I did that the other day and stepped back from the fitting room all the way to SL clearance during our short conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back