Archived Closing Lead paygrade and pay, other questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
So essentially this role is no different than a SrTL except that person when in the building is always LOD? Who takes LOD calls when they go on break or lunch since I’m assuming they are hourly?
Just like now an ETL is supposed to Mid only now they’re taking that rule more seriously. Most etls and TLs will be doing more mids to account for guest traffic and no more having your entire leadership team out by 3 everyday leaving a senior to clean up the mess

At my store there’s always an ETL that stays until about 7:30 to cover the Closing Lead’s 45.

Correct.... minimum for seniors in the current paygrades is 17.75
That's so strange considering TL's could negotiate up to around that much and it would be considered reasonable. Depending on the person of course.
Wonder what they offer you if you're going from PG 40 to 45 and you're already at or above the minimum.

Still a huge bump from minimum wage though

That's so strange considering TL's could negotiate up to around that much and it would be considered reasonable. Depending on the person of course.
Wonder what they offer you if you're going from PG 40 to 45 and you're already at or above the minimum.

Still a huge bump from minimum wage though
I have a friend that got promoted from sales floor TL to senior TL and all he got was the minimum. Went from $16 to $17.75. Only reason I know it’s that low... I was shocked to find out.

I have a friend that got promoted from sales floor TL to senior TL and all he got was the minimum. Went from $16 to $17.75. Only reason I know it’s that low... I was shocked to find out.
Also probably depends on where you are in the country too.

Correct.... minimum for seniors in the current paygrades is 17.75
I feel like this is only accurate in your state. The minimum for seniors is higher in my state. It’s $21/hr in my area. It’s really expensive to live here guys.

I feel like this is only accurate in your state. The minimum for seniors is higher in my state. It’s $21/hr in my area. It’s really expensive to live here guys.
Yeah I can’t speak for your state but 17.75 is the company minimum

She’s the only person willing to close but after my stores meeting about the whole modernization process I regret not taking the closing role when it was offered
The amount of effort needed to be a closing TL is laughable compared to a dayside TL. Dayside does so much more for less sometimes. I'd be kicking myself too if I was offered.

Just like now an ETL is supposed to Mid only now they’re taking that rule more seriously. Most etls and TLs will be doing more mids to account for guest traffic and no more having your entire leadership team out by 3 everyday leaving a senior to clean up the mess
Someone mention this to my store please. Never happens, even on weekends.

The amount of effort needed to be a closing TL is laughable compared to a dayside TL. Dayside does so much more for less sometimes. I'd be kicking myself too if I was offered.

They do so much more for less? You mean ...they have an entire team with them all day? Including inbound to help with things and are almost always fully staffed?
Idk what your CL is responsible for but... I make sure whatever truck wasn't completed gets completed. I make sure FDC gets completed... I help push pulls or push SFS... I also pull OOS batches when things are slower to help with CAFS. Oh did I mention that now when the doors don't lock or the coolers go down we're the ones stuck there to wait until 3 a.m for a vendor? Yeahh....

They do so much more for less? You mean ...they have an entire team with them all day? Including inbound to help with things and are almost always fully staffed?
Idk what your CL is responsible for but... I make sure whatever truck wasn't completed gets completed. I make sure FDC gets completed... I help push pulls or push SFS... I also pull OOS batches when things are slower to help with CAFS. Oh did I mention that now when the doors don't lock or the coolers go down we're the ones stuck there to wait until 3 a.m for a vendor? Yeahh....
You don't have to train, staff, schedule, and coach any team members whatsoever.

You aren't responsible for any metric in the store. There's no "closing time" metric, Front end has red cards, Beauty and Tech has attachment rates, hell the entire store has planograms and revisions they have to make sure don't show up in the not tied report.

You don't have to drop everything and prep for a visit because no DTL is just walking in the store at 4pm, at least usually. Even then by the time you walk in everything's done.

The workload you just described to me sounds like a glorified team member. I do everything you just said and I don't get paid 17.75 an hour, so get off that pedestal lol.

I wasn't trying to say ya'll do nothing it's just a lot less to worry about. You aren't responsible for any of those metrics.

You don't have to train, staff, schedule, and coach any team members whatsoever.

You aren't responsible for any metric in the store. There's no "closing time" metric, Front end has red cards, Beauty and Tech has attachment rates, hell the entire store has planograms and revisions they have to make sure don't show up in the not tied report.

You don't have to drop everything and prep for a visit because no DTL is just walking in the store at 4pm, at least usually. Even then by the time you walk in everything's done.

The workload you just described to me sounds like a glorified team member. I do everything you just said and I don't get paid 17.75 an hour, so get off that pedestal lol.

I wasn't trying to say ya'll do nothing it's just a lot less to worry about. You aren't responsible for any of those metrics.

I get what your saying but working as the closing lead in my store. We do all that has been brought up already. Plus run the entire store. Every LOD call, every vendor comes to me. We might not be in charge of those metrics but we are in charge of the team members in those areas. I have to make sure OPUs are being picked on time, that we are finding everything so INF is down. I will tell you locking up the store is worth the amount of money the Closing Lead is paid. One missed entry way door and you can be fired. It is a lot of pressure. I have a lot of respect for those who have been SrTLs with areas of their own plus closing LOD. I have been doing that for the last few months in prep for switching roles.

Like the other said closing leads aren’t directly responsible for a single metric but dayside TLs have only their metrics to worry about with all the other TLs there during the day. The closing lead had to worry about ALL the metrics since they’re typially the only leader in the building when they are there. I don’t know about your store but if I was closing and we missed goal on 6 OPUs because “well it’s not my metrics” I would probably be close to losing my job. The closing lead doesn’t have a work center BECAUSE they’re dealing with so much when they close that they physically couldn’t support a work center and run the store

i think it's a more accurate comparison if you look at the Closing TL as the Store Director when they aren't in the building

i've spent many extra hours at night after store close with my Closing TL prepping the store for a DTL visit the next morning. you'll notice the difference between a good close and a bad close immediately.

It really depends on the other leaders in the store. I stepped down from SrTL because I couldn't handle the expectation of having a flawless looking store at the end of the night. I may not have been responsible for metrics, but I was responsible for the team getting red cards and making sure everything was perfect just in case there was a visit the next day; I might not be there for the visit, but I'd get ripped apart if the store didn't look good for it and I had closed the previous night.

I did have to train new people. I didn't have to write the schedule, but I had to do interviews, so you could count that as staffing to some degree. I was absolutely expected to coach team members (both in the positive sense of training, and in the negative sense). I was pretty much expected to yell at the team to get them to work harder , which was not ok with me, especially regarding workcenters that I knew nothing about. I decided it wasn't worth the extra money and went back to just being a regular TL.

And that was only closing 1 night per week!

i think it's a more accurate comparison if you look at the Closing TL as the Store Director when they aren't in the building

i've spent many extra hours at night after store close with my Closing TL prepping the store for a DTL visit the next morning. you'll notice the difference between a good close and a bad close immediately.

I still have to disagree. I don't see any store leadership pointing to the closing TL saying "this is why my metric is bad". That leader would get laughed out of the room lol.

You are running a former closing LOD shift basically, but without the need to worry about metrics, team members (in terms of being their direct supervisor), and there's less to be held accountable for. I argue that's easier

Making sure the team is zoning correctly the night before a visit, sure. That is something that could be noticeable if not done right

I welcome the different viewpoints, but the way my store operates, I would definitely choose closing in a heartbeat, if I wanted the easier job. I wouldn't, just because I don't like closing.

Last edited:
I'm currently a srtl & when I close, I am most definently coaching TMs often when they dont meet expectations for their zone/reshop/goal times etc.

Closing leads aren't expected to do this? Asants?
I would think they should be coaching TMs for performance when warranted. If I was responsible for closing the store, I would make sure to drive accountability with the closing team. After all, it would be my ass if things don’t get done.

For the one or two team members that are actually closing, sure. Most of the time the TL's are present until like 8 or 9 and there's barely anyone present that's a closer

And even then, you're only really supposed to coach your own team members under the new OP model. TL's often follow up in the morning

Last edited:
I decided it wasn't worth the extra money and went back to just being a regular TL.

Did they let you stay at your store when you stepped down? We had someone try to do this and she was told she would have to transfer.

For the one or two team members that are actually closing, sure. Most of the time the TL's are present until like 8 or 9 and there's barely anyone present that's a closer

And even then, you're only really supposed to coach your own team members under the new OP model. TL's often follow up in the morning

Ok, makes more sense now. Half my peers suck at holding their team accountable so I'll be disappointed when I can't do the coachings for them lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back