Archived Coaching quotas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have the ETLs at any of your stores had coaching quotas that they had to meet? Because the rumor going around my store is that our ETLs need to coach at least one person a day to satisfy the regional leader. Even if it is something subjective like not getting their assigned work done quick enough even if they still have a lot of time left to complete said work before they have to leave. It hasn't happened to me yet, but it has happened to a few of my fellow team members who I know work hard every day and aren't slacking, there's just a lot of work to do. And this only seems to be happening to TMs who work in the mornings, so flow, presentation, instocks, signing, etc.

They should be coaching their teams anyways. People always see coaching as a bad thing, but its not. It is meant to develop your team.

There is coaching for success (good coaching), this is for your development and the ETLs development to become a better leader. Then there is coaching for improvement (write up), this is a behavior a TM is displaying that needs to change and is impacting target, guests, or other TM.

I can see a quota being set for the good coachings. If there was ever a quota set for write ups, that would be HR madness.

They should be coaching their teams anyways. People always see coaching as a bad thing, but its not. It is meant to develop your team.

I disagree. A lot. "Coaching" is Target's perky, passive aggressive renaming of the term "Write-up". Plain and simple. They want a paper trail when they fire you so they don't have to pay unemployment. There is no other way to spin this.

Correct, Coaching is the stupid Target Sports talk for write up. I think relating everything to a sports team makes the job seem childish. Team Members, coaching, The Playbook...ect

Every LOD shift I have to send my STL and dtl an email with 5 team members I coached throughout the day

Every LOD shift I have to send my STL and dtl an email with 5 team members I coached throughout the day

Sounds like a district thing then? Or is this a corporate directive, and some districts 'forget' to do it?

Your DTL must have quite the list of names if he requires that every day, from every LOD in the district...

I disagree. A lot. "Coaching" is Target's perky, passive aggressive renaming of the term "Write-up". Plain and simple. They want a paper trail when they fire you so they don't have to pay unemployment. There is no other way to spin this.

I'm not sure if you are in a team leader position, but until you are you won't understand the value behind a good coaching. Keep in mind a good employee is a coachable employee. Maybe I'm different and my retail environment embraces coaching.

Also, you will always mostly likely win unemployment if you are termed for performance and attendance. Documentation has really no standing in the unemployment hearing.

After giving it some thought, the few target vibe boards I've seen in my district are always empty. Connecting the dots, you draw the conclusion that there's a lack of recognition being given by team leaders and above, so naturally there's a lack of interest in developing employees. Quotas would force people in a leadership position to somewhat recognize and enhance team members.

In my store specifically, you'll find team members who are unsure of themselves and bitter because of the lack of recognition they receive. It's amazing what a little one on one time will produce, even if it's just with peers and not superiors.

In your stores, maybe. We still have them. We also have new ones, but not many. It's a complete lack of trying on all parts. HR doesn't bother informing, leadership doesn't bother filling them out, and we're left with a depressing, empty board reminding everyone of how awful they are in comparison to the two cashiers who got a couple of Red Cards.

Fuck coaching. It's retail, not sports. We aren't playing a game and are not a team. It's sweat shop work. Nothing more. Nothing less. I can't stand it when people say "coaching" and "team" at Target. It's so fake and insincere. There is no team.

After giving it some thought, the few target vibe boards I've seen in my district are always empty. Connecting the dots, you draw the conclusion that there's a lack of recognition being given by team leaders and above, so naturally there's a lack of interest in developing employees. Quotas would force people in a leadership position to somewhat recognize and enhance team members.

In my store specifically, you'll find team members who are unsure of themselves and bitter because of the lack of recognition they receive. It's amazing what a little one on one time will produce, even if it's just with peers and not superiors.
I was a TL, and documented coachings were a way to start a paper trail on a potential problem in your work center (at least in my last store). It was known as "starting the process". It is petty to document for the smallest mistakes a team member makes, but my last store wanted it that way.

Being formerly in HR, people who were fired for attendance never got a dime of unemployment while I was there. People who were fired for performance had a better chance, but still had to fight hard.

SickofSpot pretty much sums up what I was gonna say. My store will coach for bullshit reasons just to get a trail started.

Last edited:
I was a TL, and documented coachings were a way to start a paper trail on a potential problem in your work center (at least in my last store). It was known as "starting the process". It is petty to document for the smallest mistakes a team member makes, but my last store wanted it that way.

Being formerly in HR, people who were fired for attendance never got a dime of unemployment while I was there. People who were fired for performance had a better chance, but still had to fight hard.

This is wide spread and exactly why the only 'vibe' Target is fostering is the sickofspot culture.

I'm starting to wonder of anyone still works at Target because they want to.

As a TL I only document a conversation I had with a TM if it's something that needs to be addressed. If a TM makes a simple mistake, I just talk to them as a person and show them how I learned and the mistakes I have made. If you speak to people as human beings and not as "disposable" employees, then it truly becomes a "coaching" because you want them to improve.

I got PDDed by my TL last week for attendance (I've been late a bit recently because I'm not used to my new commute). He didn't say that it was a PDD, but he was using Target speak instead of "Hey! Show up on time or I have to write you up." which would be acceptable between us.
It has been mentioned that our ETL wants him to do at least two PDDs a week. Some of the other TMs under his leadership would flip out if he did that.

We don't have a quota that I know of but i can honestly say good coaching needs to happen more. That's why most TM's see it as a bad thing because when it's spoken about its always in a negative light. I had a girl at my last store I would coach regularly because she suffered from anxiety and I wanted to help her feel more comfortable speaking to guests. I would ask her how she goes about talking to guests and try to give her tips to make her feel at ease so yeah there is good coaching, but it's rare considering almost every leader at Target is on a massive power trip.

I like working at Target very much and tomorrow is my one year anniversary. I have been coached and it helped me a lot, my TL is a very positive person. I am nerdy i guess, i liked school too. :eek::eek::eek:
I'm very glad that Target didnt give up on me, and I'm not going to give up on them.
Signed,
Proud Target Tesm Member

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back