Archived Companywide outage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone work on Friday and notice any strange goings on with returns or myperformance on the zebra? The reason I’m asking is that my store was able to process a return for a $500 tv on a receipt that expired a month ago (no override required; receipt scanned and no flags at all even though it said must be returned by 5/7/2019 refunded back to guests redcard) and at the end of the night all of our stats except for sales and redcards had been wiped out including WTD, MTD, etc. I thought this was just a glitch so I sent it up as usual. But now?

Did anyone work on Friday and notice any strange goings on with returns or myperformance on the zebra? The reason I’m asking is that my store was able to process a return for a $500 tv on a receipt that expired a month ago (no override required; receipt scanned and no flags at all even though it said must be returned by 5/7/2019 refunded back to guests redcard) and at the end of the night all of our stats except for sales and redcards had been wiped out including WTD, MTD, etc. I thought this was just a glitch so I sent it up as usual. But now?
I've noticed many peculiar things, too.

Register kept asking me the price for TVs when I scanned them to sell them today. Then it would throw up all 9s for the dpci after I keyed it. I voided, started over, keyed the price again when asked, and then it showed the correct dpci. 🤷🏽‍♀️

No doubt they will, but it's been a day. And it's Sunday.

Figuring out the root cause(s) takes time, as does implementing proper preventative measures. If there are outages on this scale proper fixes will take weeks, or more likely months, to make sure they do it right and don't make things worse.

No doubt they will, but it's been a day. And it's Sunday.

Figuring out the root cause(s) takes time, as does implementing proper preventative measures. If there are outages on this scale proper fixes will take weeks, or more likely months, to make sure they do it right and don't make things worse.
Better hope not. It's seriously bad PR.

Well its been months at our store after a guests has paid and says processed there receipt don't print. Plus all these updates that they have changed added even more steps to process things at Guest Service and changing things on the POS have made life more difficult and resetting the registers all day is getting quite annoying. My feeling is they want us to make it right for the guests well its there turn to make it right for the employee to give the guests a positive visit.

I'm sure plenty of smaller retailers have been bitten by payment gateway outages when they don't have multiple providers, and those are outside their control. A global POS infrastructure (or perhaps more accurately inventory/pricing infrastructure) outage I'm sure is pretty rare.

I'm just dying to know what caused the service outage at the store level. There's no way a bad update to the service would hit the entire chain at once.

Some ones last day, just one bad day can make a person do things they normally would never even think of, a probe or practice run by some unknown entity.

I saw the GSTL a few times today, she just glared at me, walking around with a really angry face on. I thought she was angry at me specifically the way she looked at me (I didn't know what the reason would be), but it has probably just been hell working there this weekend.

Last edited:
I saw the GSTL a few times today, she just glared at me, walking around with a really angry face on. I thought she was angry at me specifically the way she looked at me (I didn't know what the reason would be), but it has probably just been hell working there this weekend.
def don’t take it personally. The entire front end has had a really bad weekend

Oh man, I was pushing yesterday while that all went on (I know my OTC so could do it zebraless). I kept going out and explaining to people who were coming in that they were selling items one thing at a time. A few people left, a bunch continued shopping. I didn't see anyone get pissy--except for one customer at the pharmacy.

The pharmacy just could NOT sell their drugs while it was down. I felt so bad for the tech and pharmacist who were in there. They kept on doing their sorting/counting/whatever. The system came up for a bit and they got 2 people through, but another one got stuck mid-transaction. The system came back up later and everything was good...and I had to break the second outage to my store, because the tech hit a button and the register...blared. He looked up at me and was all "are the registers down again?" so i asked over the walkie and the store manager was all "Not that I know off...", and one of our cashiers came up a second later with "Uh, GSTL, I think it's happening again." With a moment of silence before "Yeah, they're down again.". I died inside a little bit.

I got off at 2:30 after 8 hours, still had the freight from my u-boat (was doing repacks while helping guests and being the first and almost only GM on the floor). I chose not to backup cashier because I'd have had an anxiety attack and they didn't call all-available. I paid for that today when the only opening cashier called out, and there were only four GMs in the store. I was the only register trained one. I started at six to do signing (I've done it maybe three times now), then got to spend an hour or so being the only cashier. I was thrilled when the gstl finally made it in, and then a bit later the cashier-king lol.

Still didn't finish my push, but at least the monday trucks are usually smaller. But yeah, when I was leaving at 2:30 yesterday, I felt like rat leaving a sinking ship

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back