Archived Compliance

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think its a misnomer so much as it is a case of collective bad grammar. I've had heard a few people say something along the lines of "You were non-compliant" which would be the proper thing to say. I've never read anything HQ-issued that used the term "in compliance". I think its just the easy term that stores came up with. Who knows though, Target's never been one for grammar, have they?

Make Summer Funner (I cringed every time I read this sign)
Can I Help You Find Something? (this one doesn't really bother me)

I agree that the word compliance is used incorrectly - my peeve was when we were using the term safeness.I just doesn't sound grammatically correct.

@OP, if you were scheduled for 6 hours you should have planned on taking a meal, so I don't know what to tell you :/ Yes you will get ***************ed out by HR, since it is a liability for the store.

I wasn't schelduled for a full 6 hours though, which is why I didn't think about taking a meal. Though since that incident, all ETL's/TL's want TM's that punch in at 5 or 5:30 to take a meal as we have been getting out late as of late.

I didn't get chewed out at all though really. The ETL-HR didn't say anything to me, and the ETL-HL (Who was the LOD at the time) handled the whole thing. Since then I haven't had any issues, so it was an isolated incident really.

this varies by state, you'll have to talk to you HR to find out what the policy is in your specific state, some states it's 5 hours others 6, if you went over 6 hours, you are going to be out of compliance, you'll very likely have a counseling over the matter, so youll be better off addressing the issues before your TL even reaches out to you about it.
So tonight I was working late. I clocked in at 5 and didn't take a meal and my ETL didn't have an LPDA on him. I noticed that it was past 11 and ended up clocking out at 11:10. Another TM was in the same boat.

So am I for sure compliant? I have never had this happen to me before so I don't know exactly how compliance works, and just a little worried.

Just to clarify, Target's compliance guidelines are one hour sooner than the actually state regulations, which sees to it that Target doesn't actually get near being out of the official state requirement, but Target won't be any less strict on the person who is out of compliance who makes that argument.
I've seen it happen, too. Compliance laws are in place to keep you safe and healthy at work. Not clocking out for lunch before six (or five, or whatever your state says) hours implies that you are so busy that you are not able to break away and chill out. That's BAD.

LODs always need to have an LPDA so they can follow up on team members who come within 15 minutes of their 6th hour.

Target may pay a hefty fine (depending on your state) when a meal or minor violation happens, so it's in their best interest to follow the law.

Yes, it depends on what state your are in, but regardless of the state you are in, Target policy is stricker than the state requirements by an hour to avoid any chance of being out of compliance.
It depends on your state.

Hope you were able to resolve this situation, best to luck to you with it.
this varies by state, you'll have to talk to you HR to find out what the policy is in your specific state, some states it's 5 hours others 6, if you went over 6 hours, you are going to be out of compliance, you'll very likely have a counseling over the matter, so youll be better off addressing the issues before your TL even reaches out to you about it.

I've been with Target for a good while now...I don't get how people go into meal compliance.

Easy to do. I get focused on a task, and the time just slips away. I set my phone alarm to remind me or I would hit compliance weekly! Target requires us to take our lunch by the 5th hour because most state requirement is 6 hours. They are making double sure we don't get anywhere near that time.

The whole "compliance" (should be "non-compliance") thing is crap - at least in our state. This is what my state statute says:

"It is recommended that each employer allow each employee, 18 years of age or over, at least 30 minutes for each meal period reasonably close to the usual meal period time (6:00 a.m., 12:00 noon, 6:00 p.m. or 12:00 midnight) or near the middle of a shift. Shifts of more than 6 consecutive hours without a meal period should be avoided. Note: The above meal period requirements are mandatory for minors under 18 years of age. "

It is NOT required, 6 hours is NOT the law (recommended, yes - law? NO) and I wish they would STOP saying that it is. It IS Target's requirement and that should be enough. You do what your employer says to do. Saying it is state law when it isn't just pushes my buttons, passes along misinformation and makes management look stupid!

The whole "compliance" (should be "non-compliance") thing is crap - at least in our state. This is what my state statute says:

"It is recommended that each employer allow each employee, 18 years of age or over, at least 30 minutes for each meal period reasonably close to the usual meal period time (6:00 a.m., 12:00 noon, 6:00 p.m. or 12:00 midnight) or near the middle of a shift. Shifts of more than 6 consecutive hours without a meal period should be avoided. Note: The above meal period requirements are mandatory for minors under 18 years of age. "

It is NOT required, 6 hours is NOT the law (recommended, yes - law? NO) and I wish they would STOP saying that it is. It IS Target's requirement and that should be enough. You do what your employer says to do. Saying it is state law when it isn't just pushes my buttons, passes along misinformation and makes management look stupid!

They probably just use a general rule in every state to be sure their asses are covered. Many states do have such requirements, though not necessarily as strict as Target's.

They probably just use a general rule in every state to be sure their asses are covered. Many states do have such requirements, though not necessarily as strict as Target's.

I get that. I just want them to quit saying it's the law when it is not.

The shame of it is that if everyone would just unionize, employees wouldn't have to do what the employer wants, because the union would fight on the employees behalf over these types of things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back