Archived Compliance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electronics Man

Electronics Team Member
So tonight I was working late. I clocked in at 5 and didn't take a meal and my ETL didn't have an LPDA on him. I noticed that it was past 11 and ended up clocking out at 11:10. Another TM was in the same boat.

So am I for sure compliant? I have never had this happen to me before so I don't know exactly how compliance works, and just a little worried.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but yes. You need to be clocked out by the fifth hour and fifty ninth minute of your shift for a meal (or just clock out). Once you hit six hours, you hit compliance.

Although HR recently told us it was now five and a half hours...which I'm not sure how that works when you work 5-10:45...

You'll have to go talk to HR (or another LOD) and have to sign a book. They'll make you feel really bad about it (or at least my store does). I wouldn't say the ETL didn't tell you to leave because of not having an LPDA - I tried that and I got told it was my responsibility, not the LOD's. Best you can do is apologize.

The reason they get really uptight about it is because it's the law. An employer can't withhold you from a meal if you work 6 hours and by going on compliance, that raises red flags for Target - which obviously no one wants. That's why they keep bugging everyone about taking meals on time. :)

I've only run into compliance twice in my (almost) four years at Target and it's not fun. The second time happened a couple weeks ago and HR let me have it. I guess next time just be anal about the time and if the LOD gives you a hard time about leaving, threaten compliance. They should let you go then. :)

Ugh, oh boy. Well like I said, I usually don't have an issue with taking my breaks on time. Hopefully I don't get yelled at too much tomorrow.

Sorry to hear about. Go in & be ready to sign the book, with a coaching. My question is, why wasn't the gstl or other tl's be signed on tlod mode?
At my store, certain etl's makes at least 2 tl's to monitor lunches when they work.

I suppose it varies from state to state. We have to take a lunch before we hit 5 hours. Then we take a second lunch five hours after that if we're working a double or longer shift.

Most states are 6 hours require a lunch. And the lunch has to be taken before the 5th hour. I think Cali is 5 or 5 1/2 require a lunch.

My store viewed it as...if you are scheduled exactly at 6, or closing with the possibility of 6 hours by 11pm.

Lots of times cashiers were scheduled 5:45 hours and ending their shift at 10 (1015 would be their 6th hour). By 5-10 minutes after, they are told to clock out and and other TMs help with the last guests.

Even if the team gets out at 10:55, and you are still 5 minutes shy of 6hours, you are still required to take a lunch.

Wow!!! My store will start "reminding" us at 4:30 if we haven't clocked out! (our state is a 5-hour state)

Yeah, where I am, we're constantly being told that we can't hit our fifth or else we'll be in trouble.

You know what I've seen other TM do? If they past their meal they'll do a punch correction and they get away with it. :facepalm:

I tried that and I got told it was my responsibility, not the LOD's.

Very true. It is the Team Member's responsibility to ensure meal compliance, and avoid any Overtime.

Not the LOD's job to babysit every TM in the store ;)

@OP, if you were scheduled for 6 hours you should have planned on taking a meal, so I don't know what to tell you :/ Yes you will get ***************ed out by HR, since it is a liability for the store.

Careful on doing that punch correction, you can get fired for 'forging documents'. And yes I've seen it happen.

I've heard mixed messages on the meal compliance thing. My HR makes a big deal out of it and acts as though it is the end of the world when someone hits it and the store gets fined when someone hits it, our store set a record 58 days compliance free. Another executive told me that only happens if you are forced to work past 6 hours and you aren't given a lunch and file a complaint to a higher power or outside power.

I've heard mixed messages on the meal compliance thing. My HR makes a big deal out of it and acts as though it is the end of the world when someone hits it and the store gets fined when someone hits it, our store set a record 58 days compliance free. Another executive told me that only happens if you are forced to work past 6 hours and you aren't given a lunch and file a complaint to a higher power or outside power.

That's impressive. Our store has problems going five days! Congrat's!

I hit meal compliance once during my 4th month of work when I took 3 breaks instead of a lunch, first time working a longer then 5 hour shift and I completely forgot about lunch for some reason.

My HR lady was really nice and just told me to watch out for that.

Compliance is nothing to joke about. Target can get fined for everyone that goes into compliance so like others said take note and take it very,very seriously.

I've been with Target for a good while now...I don't get how people go into meal compliance.

It's actually not that difficult in pharmacy...if you're stuck on the phone with a guest or an insurance company, you can't just hang up or say "sorry, I have to go to lunch right now..." Or, the person before you goes on THEIR lunch/break late and you can't leave until they get back. Our ETL-Rx gets TICKED when we don't go on time because it messes everyone else up (then again, it doesn't take much to irritate her lately:rolleyes:)!

Yeah, I take it seriously, have hit it or even gotten close to my 5th hour, always go atleast an 30mins to an hour before my 5th, but just wanted to say that my HR lady didn't chew my head like some people may have gotten :D

Careful on doing that punch correction, you can get fired for 'forging documents'. And yes I've seen it happen.

I've seen it happen, too. Compliance laws are in place to keep you safe and healthy at work. Not clocking out for lunch before six (or five, or whatever your state says) hours implies that you are so busy that you are not able to break away and chill out. That's BAD.

LODs always need to have an LPDA so they can follow up on team members who come within 15 minutes of their 6th hour.

Target may pay a hefty fine (depending on your state) when a meal or minor violation happens, so it's in their best interest to follow the law.

Can anyone explain why it is not called "non-compliance"? I would think that compliance would be a good thing. Just curious...

The term "compliance" is used in reference to Target Corporation's compliance to the Fair Labor Standards Act, which dictates things like minimum wage, overtime pay, recordkeeping, and child labor standards. I think break requirements are part of this, so when you miss your half by the 6th hour, you are making Target non-compliant with the law. Hence the fines and the documentation. People are just using the term wrong, probably because it's easier to say just "compliance".

Yeah, I always wondered that too. The first (and only) time I ever went on 'compliance', my TL told me that I needed to see "ETL-HR", and when I walked into her office, she told me I went into compliance. I honestly thought that was a good thing when I heard that, and instantly my mind thought 'am I getting a raise? did I do something awesome?' and the like...boy was I wrong! LOL! You know, because I thought I complied with something, doing the right thing, etc.:drool:

I just like that Target corp teaches ETLs/STLs to lie to the grunts. In my current state, there is NO law about employers having to give a clocked out break. Yet, all you hear is how much money the gov't is going to fine our store if someone goes over 6 hours without clocking out....such bs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back