Archived core rules

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to update my resume and since i have been all over at target (pharmacy cashier, service desk, food avenue, zone the whole store, electronics, and have also watched the front lanes while gsa/gstl is on break or lunch). I was wondering if i can get the core rules so i can update my resume with the work i do at target. Or any suggestions to put on my resume. Thank you

The core rules can be found on Workbench, I think.....but I can't tell you where you'd need to look to find it....and print it out.

Since you've been in multiple areas you might want to think about listing each area with its own "skills" or you can just list your areas of knowledge and write down the skills that are most transferable to other jobs. You can always list the areas and some skills, but you can expand on the other skills in an interview or in your cover letter.

Don't get too wrapped up in listing the skills because your job description (on the resume) can become too long.

The core roles for each position are found on Workbench. See if you can get your HRTM to print them for you, if that person is discreet. A TL or an ETL might clue in to the fact you're updating your résumé, which could be bad. Most core roles overlap in some areas (everyone is expected to provide great guest service and be FFF, and so on). Pick out what's most impactful and keep your résumé to one page.

I would hold off on the core rules for a resume. If you are planning to stay in retail for a while, you can use the core roles to use in a retail CV.

I had an ETL-HR and Clerical help me with my resume and they gave me some wise advice. Basically, they said to list any technical or professional experience (other than Target) for a professional resume. If you don't have a lot of professional experience, then use Target to fill in your resume.

And not to be too wordy with your Target job history. Pick your top qualifications and experiences that you do on a regular basis. If they had you work on a project or cover for a TL during an extended absence, list that. Every company is going to know what you did for cashier, guest/customer service, food service, and salesfloor. If you worked in an area other than that. You may want to mention or summarize it a little bit more.

But Pharmacy Cashier may be a little more worth mentioning than a regular cashier.

Since I had some technical and professional experience outside of Target, I listed Target under an Employment category to explain the gap between my years of professional experiences. Then when I got enough professional experience, I dropped Target completely from my resume.

Another piece of wise advice I got was that mentioning an extensive amount of Target or any retail experience can actually hurt your resume by dulling it down too much. You want your resume to POP and stand out. So I summarized my Target experience in a simple one-line blurb...ex. "Experienced and trainer in customer relations, salesfloor, food services, and cashier functions for a major retail store chain."

And don't use Target lingo or acronyms, employers will not understand what zone, Planogram, ETL, GSTL, or POG mean.

Core roles are pretty general across the board, so you can easily pick and choose what you need just from experience. As far as resume building, only list skills related to the job you are posting for. Money handling, customer resolution skills, and food safety doesn't equate easily to a job concerning computer science, etc. If you are doing another customer service related skills, try prioritizing your abilities concerning that. Something like customer resolution abilities, customer satisfaction priorities, etc.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back