COVID-19 Coronavirus...

Kind surprised this topic hasn't resulted in a... topic.

What are your stores doing for Coronavirus prevention?

I only work a couple days a week, so I haven't been in recently, but I'm feeling a tickle in my throat, and I know if I show up and cough/sneeze, guests (and team members) are gonna feel uncomfortable.

It should probably go without saying that I live in... an area where Coronavirus is potent and driving national news.

What's happening at your stores? I imagine management would be all right with call outs, since, they don't want to be known as the store that's ground zero for Coronavirus... but, also, since my area is an area where doomsday preppers are prepping for doomsday, seems like it might be an awkward convo.

(I am planning on calling out when I'm scheduled on Sunday)

Last edited:
It is pretty much business as usual at my store. We have always had Lysol wipes and spray by the equipment, at the boats, GS, FR. Hand sanitizer too. I am not in a Coronavirus area, and the only thing we are out of is masks. I filled a SFS order with hand sanitizer today, and that was the end of that.

Personally, I am washing my hands, leaving my face alone, using common sense. Consensus among normal people seems to be to stock up on about 2 weeks of supplies--just like for an ice storm etc. That's what I have done.

stay away from team members who come back from a cruise.
yes a flex fill team member is on a cruise right now, when she comes back ill be far away from her.

Same here. I asked if Target had communicated anything to stores and our closing TL said they had not.

I poked into the coronavirus hub page, but it seemed more focused on corporate and generics, not so much on "hey, here's what we're doing to protect those in contact with the unwashed masses."

Comforting.

All I can say is, now everyone else knows what it's like to be a germaphobe. Every cough, every sneeze, every close talker gives us pause. Everything they are telling people to do I already practice on a daily basis.

Exactly, which is why all these gross people who have just discovered washing their freaking hands are idiots.

My father spent a week in the hospital with the flu in January, scared the crap out of us. For the elderly, that is no joke. People need to take better care of themselves, get flu shots if needed and practice good hygiene on the regular, not just when the latest health scare saturates the media. And cover your damn mouths when you cough and sneeze you animals!

Last edited:
The mortality rate of coronavirus is 20x (or more) that of the flu (at least). Mortality rate from the flu is .1%. Coronavirus is around 2%, but could be higher.

Even among younger populations, those for whom it's "mild", it's .2%, double that of the flu in the overall population.

Once this thing spreads in the US (and it will) it could be very, very bad. Especially since we have a gov't more interested in denying reality to protect its own money than doing their best to mitigate and prepare for the outbreak.

The mortality rate of coronavirus is 20x (or more) that of the flu (at least). Mortality rate from the flu is .1%. Coronavirus is around 2%, but could be higher.

Even among younger populations, those for whom it's "mild", it's .2%, double that of the flu in the overall population.

Once this thing spreads in the US (and it will) it could be very, very bad. Especially since we have a gov't more interested in denying reality to protect its own money than doing their best to mitigate and prepare for the outbreak.

exactly, thank you. i think ppl who are claiming it's only as bad as the flu don't realize how many immunocompromised and elderly people we have in the united states lol. a lot of people are susceptible to this virus that currently has no vaccine. being flippant about it is as bad if not worse than panicking.

Last edited:
This is ridiculous! Far more people die every year from the flu. This isn't Ebola where the death rate was 90%! The only deaths from the Coronavirus have been the very old or people with underlying health conditions. Everyone else has recovered. This is all just fake news media hysteria! Exactly like all the BS hysteria they manufacture every single day! It's pathetic that people still fall for it!

This is ridiculous! Far more people die every year from the flu. This isn't Ebola where the death rate was 90%! The only deaths from the Coronavirus have been the very old or people with underlying health conditions. Everyone else has recovered. This is all just fake news media hysteria! Exactly like all the BS hysteria they manufacture every single day! It's pathetic that people still fall for it!

i cannot tell if you're being serious or joking since your entire post is like a caricature. is 60 very old to you? my parents are around that age and i certainly don't want them to catch this virus from people who are being careless and suffer the consequences for it. again, we have a lot of immunocompromised people in the united states - people with diabetes and other diseases. their lives are just as important as yours and mine, wtf lol. i'm a healthy individual in my twenties, but a lot of people are not and i don't want to be an unknowing carrier for this virus who will pass it on to people who are more vulnerable than myself. think beyond yourself.

I too am extremely dumb and use a whole year of statistics against something that does not have a whole year of statistics.

Comparing these two things is apples to oranges.

The flu has been around for a very long time. The novel coronavirus COVID-19, has been around in human populations around 4 months.

The 1918 influenza was mild, too, until it wrapped back around and killed between 20 and 50 million people. The projections for coronvirus are similar, as it stands today, without coming back as a more virulent strain, as it did in 1918.

The crazy thing about epidemiology is it is an actual science, and the people who study this are very concerned about this virus, and these are people who are actually pretty hard to scare. And even if the spread & death rates and whatnot don't pan out, China's manufacturing has pretty much been shut down for the last 6 weeks, and is just starting to come back online. The global supply chain is far too dependent on China, so even if the disease itself doesn't cause problems, the supply chain disruptions will have their own effects.

Same here. I asked if Target had communicated anything to stores and our closing TL said they had not.

I poked into the coronavirus hub page, but it seemed more focused on corporate and generics, not so much on "hey, here's what we're doing to protect those in contact with the unwashed masses."

Comforting.
Your closing TL must not be reading their emails as there was an email that went out to everyone two days ago regarding this topic and what Target is doing.

Back