COVID-19 Coronavirus...

I heard a rumor today that someone from guest services got it at my store. The story is her husband brought in a doctors note to confirm it. Sounds incredible fishy to me for multiple reasons, but still scares me shitless. If any of my family members get sick and die because I work at target, I don't know what I will do.

I wish they would cordon off the sections of the store that are non-essential. If they do this, i think people will stay home because they can’t just go hang out at Target for the day.

How would they possibly enforce that? You can rope off all you want but if you're not going to have someone guard it, anyone could just go around it.

In a perfect world they could enforce it simply by having the register not ring up items that have a dpci starting with certain three numbers (whatever it's called). Judging non-essential though gets tricky - I'd say underwear and socks are essential but the rest of the clothing isn't, but there are the poor souls who legit had a lot of damage to their clothes, and there are people who would say that socks aren't essential. People mentioned toys to keep themselves and kids entertained, but that's still a lot of square footage browsing for just a few items. I'd say yes to motor oil because people with old cars leak oil, but no to Armor-all, but other people may say that motor oil isn't essential, or maybe there's no way to block car cleaning supplies without blocking car maintenance.

Seasons are changing, and as someone with fast-growing kids, I would say clothing can definitely be necessary. And whether it's underwear or underwear and other things, you're still allowing people into the middle of the store.

And what about things like kitchenware? Could be necessity, same with bath, bedding etc. and since they're all on the same side of the store (at my store, anyway) it doesn't make sense to try to corral people since they'll be all over the store, anyway.

By cordoning off areas of the store you also enforce people being closer together, which is probably not super wise at this point.

In a perfect world they could enforce it simply by having the register not ring up items that have a dpci starting with certain three numbers (whatever it's called). Judging non-essential though gets tricky - I'd say underwear and socks are essential but the rest of the clothing isn't, but there are the poor souls who legit had a lot of damage to their clothes, and there are people who would say that socks aren't essential. People mentioned toys to keep themselves and kids entertained, but that's still a lot of square footage browsing for just a few items. I'd say yes to motor oil because people with old cars leak oil, but no to Armor-all, but other people may say that motor oil isn't essential, or maybe there's no way to block car cleaning supplies without blocking car maintenance.
Toys and kitchen are pretty deserted now. Probably the best place to be working during this. I will be scheduled for those areas but they move me into something more important for this situation which just means I don't know what I will be doing everyday. Not ideal at all.

Yes, I was about to suggest this. But the Karens of the world would whine until they get their way anyway. But it would at least deter a lot of people probably.

Last edited:
Back