Archived Counseling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been counseled before and for good reason. This time however was odd. I was not required to sign anything and there's nothing about two out of the three things I was counseled for today that comes up in the employee handbook to any degree and quite frankly anywhere else in policies that I've found.

The first thing I was counseled for was attendance. That's normal, right? But in this instance I was counseled for a single call out. The call out mentioned in this thread and I did so the day before. I was informed that even one call out for every flow team member would be counseled.
I'm confused.

The second reason for counseling was an instant where I left after my 4 hour shift had ended. I told them I was leaving so it wasn't if I just disappeared with no word and on top of that I was over my scheduled time. But I was counseled for this incident as well and was told "if I verbally agree to stay and finish truck past my scheduled time then I need to do so and if I can't I need to say something". First of all we don't verbally consent to finish the truck. Ever. It's something we just assume do unless we have to leave by a certain time. That was the case the one day. But no one verbally consents to stay and thus technically we have not made any promises to stay until the truck is done. Just like that day I worked up until I needed to leave and as I was leaving I let her know and was informed I would be counseled. I was today.
I have a new question.

The third and final thing I was counseled on was interesting. I have always worked HBA. I'm open to working other departments. I have been working the paper product for a week now officially (4 times). I'm not entirely familiar with it yet and on top of that I'm 5' 2". I have to use extra equipment to stock they way they asked me to (aka overstock on the top shelves). I could barely reach it and was on my own. But I didn't complain about my situation. I simply did my best and was careful as I could be considering in order to lift large packs of toilet paper and paper towels over my head required both hands. What get's me though is half way through working the section I'm informed that I have to be done with in an hour. That is when everything is off the truck. Granted I don't get everything officially until the truck is done. But I figured they were aware of that. They didn't factor in the zoning and the pull of course. I was only 10 minutes short of my time. After asking other co-workers in all different sections if they were timed today and they said they were not. So it was only me that was timed and none of us are ever given time limits (I know this is a common things in other stores so I wanted to add it in).

Still at the end of it all I didn't sign anything to confirm I was counseled and I hate feeling like maybe I have been singled out.

Is sounds like they're mostly having issues with your communication. Never assume anyone "just knows" what you're thinking. Speak up, let them know what's going on. If you don't think you can finish something, say so, or at least say you'll do the best you can. And before you leave, let them know what you were able to do.

That's fair. Usually I'm on point with that though. It was the one occasion my communication was off that they counseled me for.

How is your store doing otherwise? What shape is your backroom in?

The backroom stays pretty well-kept. No real overstock as far as I can tell.
Hmm, I asked because sometimes the pressure of logistics force TLs to over scrutinize tms. Just take it easy work on the points that mentioned during the counseling, and communicate. Good luck

This does sound like your TL is being aggressive in performance management for you.

What I can tell you is that we (my store) counsels for any attendance issues, even if there's a good reason for it. You don't really have to consider yourself 'in trouble', but I do note that it's for the sake of watching for attendance patterns. If I see that I counseled you x amount of times in the last month, I'm probably going to let you know you're trending CCA for attendance. I don't see an issue with that one too much.

For the second thing, I guess we could counsel based on you saying you'll stay until x time, but "until the truck is done" is extremely vague, and your TL should be scrutinizing what hours are used for their process. Unless you verbally agree and the time is changed in the system, I don't really counsel based on 'verbal agreements' alone. This one is a little weird.

For the third, timelines are generally something I'd give out if I find a TM is moving too slowly and I want to hold them accountable to finishing a task. This one is rough to avoid if you're missing your goal time, best advice is to haul ass and finish. If you find your TL is being unfair in goal time, maybe challenge to see the goal time on RWT. It could simply be a case of your TL asking too much of you as well.

Maybe talk to your ETL/ETL-HR if you feel any of these are unfair.

This does sound like your TL is being aggressive in performance management for you.

What I can tell you is that we (my store) counsels for any attendance issues, even if there's a good reason for it. You don't really have to consider yourself 'in trouble', but I do note that it's for the sake of watching for attendance patterns. If I see that I counseled you x amount of times in the last month, I'm probably going to let you know you're trending CCA for attendance. I don't see an issue with that one too much.

For the second thing, I guess we could counsel based on you saying you'll stay until x time, but "until the truck is done" is extremely vague, and your TL should be scrutinizing what hours are used for their process. Unless you verbally agree and the time is changed in the system, I don't really counsel based on 'verbal agreements' alone. This one is a little weird.

For the third, timelines are generally something I'd give out if I find a TM is moving too slowly and I want to hold them accountable to finishing a task. This one is rough to avoid if you're missing your goal time, best advice is to haul ass and finish. If you find your TL is being unfair in goal time, maybe challenge to see the goal time on RWT. It could simply be a case of your TL asking too much of you as well.

Maybe talk to your ETL/ETL-HR if you feel any of these are unfair.
Is there any idea on how the time is suppose to be calculated via boxes per hour? What they calculate for repacks, zoning time, and reshop, etc?
Our TL tend to make us squeeze all the little details but I assume that's normal.

Sounds like they are nitpicking which is a sign of managing someone out. I would talk to your leader and ask them bluntly what changes they would like to see in you.

They counseled me because within the first hour of my shift I was sick with food poisoning and straight up vomited in front of guests because I couldn't make it to a bathroom/garbage can in time. LOD said she "gave me an option" on whether or not I wanted to finish my shift or go home. What do you think I did after violently puking? I went home.

She told me later it counted as an absence and I asked her why she didn't point that out in the first place, and she just repeated herself about "the options."

Edit: to be clear, I stuck the shift out for an hour and a half but made frequent bathroom trips, basically being useless. She told me during the lecture I was making the team look bad for my attendance.

Girl, really?

Sounds like they are nitpicking which is a sign of managing someone out. I would talk to your leader and ask them bluntly what changes they would like to see in you.

I'm with HRZone on this one...... it does sound like they're "looking for a concrete reason" to manage you out. But, before you talk w/ your Leader, consider the following:

PERHAPS... (and this is PURELY a guess ) you are doing something ELSE that is drawing attention to you that is "unfavorable". PERHAPS .... you're a bare-minimalist, and lax about your own personal goals/results. PERHAPS..... you're a talker and distract those around you. PERHAPS...... you're into everyone else's business/work but your own (gossiper, shit-starter, etc). I have absolutely no idea what could be at the bottom of all this...... but if I were you, I'd take a gooooood loooooong look at yourself to see if you are TRULY giving your best everyday.

Like I said in one of your other threads, they are trying to push back on you for leaving on time. Just keep working hard and try to meet whatever time goals they set (there really is a system generated list of how long it should take to push each truck, broken down by department). It should eventually blow over and they'll stop giving you a hard time

However, if you are asked to sign something, I would go to HR at that point and tell them your concerns about being singled out for needing to leave on time.

Edit: To everyone saying the OP isn't working hard enough, take a look at the other threads that are linked in the first post. I have been on a flow team like the one they described. I can say from experience that when you are the one person who leaves on time instead of just grinding through until the truck is done, you WILL get singled out over stupid shit. It has nothing to do with how hard you work. They just want you to work past schedule until it's done, making up for poor leadership and other lazy workers dragging out the process in the first place.

Last edited:
They counseled me because within the first hour of my shift I was sick with food poisoning and straight up vomited in front of guests because I couldn't make it to a bathroom/garbage can in time. LOD said she "gave me an option" on whether or not I wanted to finish my shift or go home. What do you think I did after violently puking? I went home.

She told me later it counted as an absence and I asked her why she didn't point that out in the first place, and she just repeated herself about "the options."

Edit: to be clear, I stuck the shift out for an hour and a half but made frequent bathroom trips, basically being useless. She told me during the lecture I was making the team look bad for my attendance.

Girl, really?
That is ridiculous. I'd talk to the HR ETL. You were throwing up multiple times and going home is an "option"?
Hell no. I'd want you to go home to take care of yourself but also so you don't spread whatever is making you sick to everyone else.
That LOD made a horrible call.

That is ridiculous. I'd talk to the HR ETL. You were throwing up multiple times and going home is an "option"?
Hell no. I'd want you to go home to take care of yourself but also so you don't spread whatever is making you sick to everyone else.
That LOD made a horrible call.

The team member health policy now states you should notify the LOd and go home if you are vomiting. That is rather odd

she said anything under 3 hours is an absence, as well as being 5 minutes late. Which I was once. When my god damn car battery needed a jump. I even called to let her know and that I was coming in one way or another and that i'd be there but i'd be late.

And I left early for work too. 15ish min early. Even though my job is like 5 min away.

She's... Unique.

and to mention re: notifying the lod about leaving, she was walking up to the operator's station (where i work) as this happened and she literally saw my actions in full effect.

I have social anxiety. There are times I question my own efficiency on the floor when the TL approaches me with this sort of thing I'm bound to have some self doubt. At the same time my co-workers don't understand why there would be a problem in the first place with me. I'm one of the more efficient team members. I've been there for almost three years now and my sole focus on the floor is finding a way to make my job more effective for myself and the people I work alongside. I hate gossip. It's a waste of time. Like I said. Social anxiety. Socializing is not my forte. On another note this job has brought out a better side of me. Through it I've gained more self-confidence too. I'm no longer scared of guests, and I'm confident that I do make an impact on the company with my energy and upbeat attitude.

When we use to have our huddles after our break we would have recognition. We haven't done recognition in six months. It was just something the team could pass along to give each other. Just a pat on the back. All that positivity is gone but that doesn't stop me from acknowledging when a co-worker and friend has done good. I compliment them as I work to keep them going because we all know the atmosphere has seen better days. I really miss our old team. The one that actually enjoyed what they were doing because they weren't doing it to because a TL wanted to use scare tactics. It was because we appreciated each other and the hard work we could bust out. We're not the best in our district because we chit-chat and take our sweet time complaining either. We care about people because we understand. We are people. And you can bowl out a tuck and show kindness all in the same breath.

I have social anxiety. There are times I question my own efficiency on the floor when the TL approaches me with this sort of thing I'm bound to have some self doubt. At the same time my co-workers don't understand why there would be a problem in the first place with me. I'm one of the more efficient team members. I've been there for almost three years now and my sole focus on the floor is finding a way to make my job more effective for myself and the people I work alongside. I hate gossip. It's a waste of time. Like I said. Social anxiety. Socializing is not my forte. On another note this job has brought out a better side of me. Through it I've gained more self-confidence too. I'm no longer scared of guests, and I'm confident that I do make an impact on the company with my energy and upbeat attitude.

When we use to have our huddles after our break we would have recognition. We haven't done recognition in six months. It was just something the team could pass along to give each other. Just a pat on the back. All that positivity is gone but that doesn't stop me from acknowledging when a co-worker and friend has done good. I compliment them as I work to keep them going because we all know the atmosphere has seen better days. I really miss our old team. The one that actually enjoyed what they were doing because they weren't doing it to because a TL wanted to use scare tactics. It was because we appreciated each other and the hard work we could bust out. We're not the best in our district because we chit-chat and take our sweet time complaining either. We care about people because we understand. We are people. And you can bowl out a tuck and show kindness all in the same breath.

Noted !!!! And, very well said, I might add. :) Now that the "perhaps...." possibilities are a non-issue; I would definitely ask for a sit-down w/ your Leader to get a crystal clear expectation from them...... and set your sights on achieving it everyday. Communicate often when you complete the tasks specified, especially over the walkie so all Leadership can hear that you've been efficient during your assigned shift. Good luck :).

I can say from experience that when you are the one person who leaves on time instead of just grinding through until the truck is done, you WILL get singled out over stupid shit. It has nothing to do with how hard you work. They just want you to work past schedule until it's done, making up for poor leadership and other lazy workers dragging out the process in the first place.

Here's the funny thing with that. I only left the one day. Half an hour past my scheduled time. So it wasn't on time. There's another TM who leaves on time every day due to the fact he has to take care of a sick family member and be there for them to cook and give them medicine. While I understand the importance of family and the fact that he's not harassed like I am or so it seems it's just that. He was counseled same day as me for a single call out because his car broke down on the way to work. Not for leaving on time every day. But he leaves on time EVERY DAY. For the one day I leave half an hour past my scheduled time I was counseled. So I'm trying to understand where they draw the line on this or if there is a line and I'm it personally at this point.

PS. Thank you for the previous advice in other threads it has seemed to ease the situation at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back