COVID-19 CoVID Vaccine side effects

Has she talked to her doctor about getting a valium pill or something for when she needs shots? I know of people with needle phobias who have done something similar. A phobia shouldn't prevent you from getting important care when there are options to mitigate the fear.

My sister-in-law straight passes out at the sight of a needle.

They aren't fun but I've never had a phobia about them. I just turn my head and prepare for the pinch. I am more concerned about side effects. You could give me shots every day as long as I knew I'd only have at most a sore arm.

I hate shots because the stuff in them hurt. Blood draws, I've never had the courage to actually look at the needle going into my skin but once it's there I've no issues. I've had so many blood draws that the cumulative scars on the preferred vein look like a single scar measuring ½ inch by ¼ inch. (I sometimes wonder if people looking at my arm think I'm a drug user.)

While my daughter was too young to have a conscious memory, one of the doctors she saw did confirm that this almost certainly triggered the phobia. She was a year old, got sick, got dehydrated and it was determined she needed IV fluids. Between the doctor and the emergency room they missed the vein 12 times. When trying for the 13th IV stick they told me if that missed they would have to insert it in her jugular and that meant admittance to the hospital. Well lucky #13 worked.

I had one missed IV in my site and that was horrifically painful. I can't imagine what pain my little baby endured. But while she's gotten a lot better (imagine a 3-5 year old child successfully fighting off three grown adults when blood needed to be drawn) her phobia tells her "this immediate horror is much worse than the theoretical risk of what's being warded off."

I got my first COVID shot, Pfizer, on 12/23 (I work in a hospital as an office worker but they gave all our frontline workers them with lightning speed and I was very willing to get it.)

Had a very sore and heavy arm for about two days. Felt like I had an ear infection for a few days. Nothing really else.

My boss felt extreme fatigue but that's it.

Get my 2nd dose in about 2 weeks!

Although counter to my experience, my "work wife" got hers yesterday and got tons of chills and dizzy spells and she called out today. So it's different for "every body."

...aaaannd to round the corner. Got my 2nd shot on Wednesday. That night I felt horrible. The chills were real bad and kept me up all night. The aches and headache were especially unbearable. Called out and basically stayed in bed until now. Yesterday was a bit better although still felt like crap. Right now, 48 hours after, am finally feeling semi-normal.

1st and 2nd dose have the same exact stuff in them, but the reaction may be different due to the body's response. But having symptoms like these show that the vaccine works.

Apparently near the area I work a lot of the "first group" people who qualify for the vaccine aren't getting it. They said that's going to delay lower groups getting it, apparently they have to get a certain number of the first group vaccinated before they can offer it to other people. One area had only 30% of eligible people getting it, which was health care workers and emergency services like police and fire. Seriously front line folks???

Back