Archived Demoted due to impossible SFS standards

Status
Not open for further replies.

SurefireWolf

Team Member
Before anyone says I'm being dramatic in using the word impossible, SFS at my store is expected to have less than 1% INF and pull SPU batches in under 5 minutes. This is sort of a long story, so I'm going to start from the beginning.

My store has been doing SFS since the summer of 2015, and I was the first person in charge. Not an official TL position, but I was the one doing the lion's share of the SFS background work (filling out the order audit form, keeping the area organized, etc...). In January after our first Christmas, or fulfillment percentage got low. Like, 52% low. That's when I started keeping a list of my INFs and zeroing them out at the end of the shift. It worked. A couple months later, we were over 90% fulfillment; a number we've never fallen below. We eventually had the highest percentage in our group, as well as highest in sales. Our store was so good that my STL told me that at group meetings, my name was brought up because of how good a job I was doing. Our DTL had nearby stores come to my store to train when they were starting SFS. While on a visit once, the Group Leader stopped by to personally tell me what a great job I was doing, and that our store was the best out of all 63 stores.

Then my STL had to take a leave-of-absence, and this is where things went to hell. This was also around when regions and districts got shuffled around, so we went from being #1 out of 63 stores to being #4 out of about 94. For SPUs, I am aware of the difference between goal time and deadline. The deadline is an hour, which seems fair. The only time I missed this was when someone ordered 2 flatbeds of furniture and 47 softlines items. But we get the "Missed Goal Time" notification 5 minutes after every order, and I get talked to whenever I miss it, which is a lot; especially if there's more than 3 items. The STL only cared about the deadline, and agrees that 5 minutes was ridiculous.

Now for the big one: The 1% INF goal. Ever since the STL was gone, I got called into the conference room about once or twice a week. I've been called there by the BRTL, HRTL, and even the sales floor Sr.TL. All of them insist that "If we have counts, the item is in the store." I have my list, where when I'm zeroing out the counts I make note of the on-hands, days ago last sold, and days ago last received. Most of the times it only thought we had 1 on hand. Or it was sold earlier that day. Or that there was exactly one casepack on hand, with the last sold and received dates over 5 months ago, clearly a mispick. But no, I just need to look harder because "The items are in the store."

One time the RFID tracker took me to the stolen tag bin in the fitting room. It was paperclipped to a bunch of other tags with a note saying they were all found in one of the rooms. The LOG-ETL that night told me that I should have gone and looked for the swimsuit on the floor, and it would be missing the tags. One time I had to look for some diaper pins. The last sold date was 14 years ago.

The day I got pulled from SFS was the first day the LOG-ETL went on a 2 week vacation. HR and the BRTL called me into the conference room before I went to lunch. HR had a copy of the last week's SFS report, where our INF was at 6.1%. I told him that a goal of 1% is impossible, and that no store in the company was meeting it. He then told me "You should compare yourself to what you are capable of, not what other stores are doing." He also pointed out that for that fiscal year we had $125,000 in INFs, which he blamed on me for lost sales.

My hours are down from 30-35 to about 15 a week. The person who is replacing me is a girl who I trust to do SFS, and is probably the second best in the store at it after me, but she doesn't want to do it. She is being forced into a position that she doesn't want. Already I can see the stress getting to her, because she also can't meet the expectations.

I know there's nothing anybody here can really do, and now that my hours are so bad I have more time to look for a new job. But this is the most unfair thing I've ever seen at my store. People were telling me that it was affecting my health, and I'd have to agree. Being called into the office multiple times a week to be told I'm not meeting an expectation that NOBODY can meet will do that to anyone. The STL would likely be furious. It feels like the team leads wanted to be "the best" and when we were no longer "the best" that they had to lay the blame somewhere. And, being the main SFS person, that blame fell to me.

I think the worst part of this is seeing everything I worked hard for going to waste. I feel like I built that section up to what it was, so not being allowed to be there anymore hurts. I'm going to be needing a new job soon, but up until this I enjoyed working at Target. I have a lot of good friends here, and as much as I hated getting blamed for everything wrong with SFS, it was always fun when there was 2 or 3 of us working at the packstation listening to Pandora. But right now, that's the only aspect of the job that I'll miss.

I understand at my store our hours have been gutted to the bone and they wonder why we can hardly get things picked on time. Not having anyone scheduled for SPU until 10am when they are due at 9am. Then telling me to pick them when SFS is %150 of forecast when I walk in the door. And batches drop as fast as I can pull them while playing Tetris with our no one doing backstock situation.

Set up to fail is our working mantra. Along with looking for another job.

Ugh. That sucks. There are so many legit reasons why SFS can't find items.

Stolen, tags ripped off items, switched tags, cashier rang it out incorrectly, MSPK, baffle in the backroom, bad zone, untied POGs and SPs, carts of reshop, or unpushed Freight/repacks, backstock not completed (sitting on tubs.)

Before anyone says I'm being dramatic in using the word impossible, SFS at my store is expected to have less than 1% INF and pull SPU batches in under 5 minutes. This is sort of a long story, so I'm going to start from the beginning.

My store has been doing SFS since the summer of 2015, and I was the first person in charge. Not an official TL position, but I was the one doing the lion's share of the SFS background work (filling out the order audit form, keeping the area organized, etc...). In January after our first Christmas, or fulfillment percentage got low. Like, 52% low. That's when I started keeping a list of my INFs and zeroing them out at the end of the shift. It worked. A couple months later, we were over 90% fulfillment; a number we've never fallen below. We eventually had the highest percentage in our group, as well as highest in sales. Our store was so good that my STL told me that at group meetings, my name was brought up because of how good a job I was doing. Our DTL had nearby stores come to my store to train when they were starting SFS. While on a visit once, the Group Leader stopped by to personally tell me what a great job I was doing, and that our store was the best out of all 63 stores.

Then my STL had to take a leave-of-absence, and this is where things went to hell. This was also around when regions and districts got shuffled around, so we went from being #1 out of 63 stores to being #4 out of about 94. For SPUs, I am aware of the difference between goal time and deadline. The deadline is an hour, which seems fair. The only time I missed this was when someone ordered 2 flatbeds of furniture and 47 softlines items. But we get the "Missed Goal Time" notification 5 minutes after every order, and I get talked to whenever I miss it, which is a lot; especially if there's more than 3 items. The STL only cared about the deadline, and agrees that 5 minutes was ridiculous.

Now for the big one: The 1% INF goal. Ever since the STL was gone, I got called into the conference room about once or twice a week. I've been called there by the BRTL, HRTL, and even the sales floor Sr.TL. All of them insist that "If we have counts, the item is in the store." I have my list, where when I'm zeroing out the counts I make note of the on-hands, days ago last sold, and days ago last received. Most of the times it only thought we had 1 on hand. Or it was sold earlier that day. Or that there was exactly one casepack on hand, with the last sold and received dates over 5 months ago, clearly a mispick. But no, I just need to look harder because "The items are in the store."

One time the RFID tracker took me to the stolen tag bin in the fitting room. It was paperclipped to a bunch of other tags with a note saying they were all found in one of the rooms. The LOG-ETL that night told me that I should have gone and looked for the swimsuit on the floor, and it would be missing the tags. One time I had to look for some diaper pins. The last sold date was 14 years ago.

The day I got pulled from SFS was the first day the LOG-ETL went on a 2 week vacation. HR and the BRTL called me into the conference room before I went to lunch. HR had a copy of the last week's SFS report, where our INF was at 6.1%. I told him that a goal of 1% is impossible, and that no store in the company was meeting it. He then told me "You should compare yourself to what you are capable of, not what other stores are doing." He also pointed out that for that fiscal year we had $125,000 in INFs, which he blamed on me for lost sales.

My hours are down from 30-35 to about 15 a week. The person who is replacing me is a girl who I trust to do SFS, and is probably the second best in the store at it after me, but she doesn't want to do it. She is being forced into a position that she doesn't want. Already I can see the stress getting to her, because she also can't meet the expectations.

I know there's nothing anybody here can really do, and now that my hours are so bad I have more time to look for a new job. But this is the most unfair thing I've ever seen at my store. People were telling me that it was affecting my health, and I'd have to agree. Being called into the office multiple times a week to be told I'm not meeting an expectation that NOBODY can meet will do that to anyone. The STL would likely be furious. It feels like the team leads wanted to be "the best" and when we were no longer "the best" that they had to lay the blame somewhere. And, being the main SFS person, that blame fell to me.

I think the worst part of this is seeing everything I worked hard for going to waste. I feel like I built that section up to what it was, so not being allowed to be there anymore hurts. I'm going to be needing a new job soon, but up until this I enjoyed working at Target. I have a lot of good friends here, and as much as I hated getting blamed for everything wrong with SFS, it was always fun when there was 2 or 3 of us working at the packstation listening to Pandora. But right now, that's the only aspect of the job that I'll miss.

This is why you should have never cared in the first place. Yes, do your job. But management will always find a way to take any personal care you have and use it against you for their perceived benefit of the company. That's harsh.

that stinks, glad you're not waiting for Target to hold up it's end after everything you've done for them.

That really sucks. Your store sucks and isn't going to change, but other retail establishments will likely appreciate you far more than your shitty store.

Apparently, with the new two-day shipping with a redcard, if something gets INF'd the guest won't receive it by the date they were supposed to, as opposed to before where they'd send it UPS Ground instead of smartpost and it'd still make it on time, so the DTLs are putting more pressure on stores to not INF anything. So rather than fixing the problems that are actually causing INFs (out-of-stocks/count issues, freight not being pushed, unlocated backroom stock, endless backstock that hasn't been backstocked, non-tied endcaps, tied but not set pogs, etc), the ETLs are trying to pressure FFTMs to meet impossible standards since they have little to no experience picking and searching for items that can't be located.

I think STLs need to be harder on cashiers with the whole "No barcode" thing and ringing up everything, even if it's the same price. If SFS is going to work to maximum efficiency, there needs to be things done to the other departments that directly affect inventory and accurate counts.

Can't even begin to tell you back when I did SFS for a solid month straight how many counts were like "13 on floor, 0 in back, 5 on hand" with nothing in it's home spot or secondary location or anything near it. Maybe that's just a bad zone or research was done, but damn lol

I'm really sorry to hear that they treated you like this.
As others have said, I suspect there are many other places that will respect your skills and dedication.
I'm sure you will have a great future.

I think the worst part of this is seeing everything I worked hard for going to waste.

Something similar happened to me and I felt the same way. The job market is a lot better than it was for many of the (almost 8 years) I was at Target. Hopefully it is good where you are. Use the time with less hours to look around and see what's available, it took me 3-4 months but I found a great job. I was able to find something NOT retail and am really enjoying that. If you have non-retail experience or are willing to try something new that might be a good idea. I feel that retail jobs everywhere are going to keep getting worse, less hours and more and more unreasonable expectations. Sometimes the best revenge is to smile and move on.

Management is oblivious beyond the reports. They don't understand "reality" when the reports say otherwise.

We're in an under 3% INF goal at my store. That's 3 missed items for ever 10o. We are being tasked to partner with a leader to sign off when we can't find said item. It hit the team hard because it made it feel like we weren't trusted at doing our due diligence towards finding those items. I can understand your frustration.

Find a new job. You did well at Target, but the folks that took notice to your accomplishments aren't there anymore. Move on to better things, for your health and prosperity.

It hit the team hard because it made it feel like we weren't trusted at doing our due diligence towards finding those items. I can understand your frustration.
See, this is my thing. My ETL acts like I'm not even looking for the items and just tells me "look harder" and "you can't cancel it" when I tell him I spent 40 minutes looking for a single package of fake eyelashes because we have "0 on floor + 0 in back (1 on hand)". But, looking at the INF reports, he has a higher INF percentage when he tries to pick than I do lol. One day I got yelled at because we were red on INFs but then I pulled up the hourly report and he had INF'd like 10 items in the single batch he did. My personal goal tends to be INFing a max of 1 item per batch unless it's been a particularly bad day. It's like "picked on time", "packed on time", and "low INFs" are three mutually exclusive things.

Sometimes I feel like SFS and FF are just the compilation of everything that goes wrong in the store - mistakes that are happening in every department that would go unnoticed are now extremely unfortunate because SFS team can’t find items. It really sucks, I think you should just jump ship ASAP as you deserve better. It’s not worth the stress.

I think that corporate has shuffled the deck chairs for the final time. 2018 is going to be an interesting year. To those who gave their all, you did the right thing. It will come back around.

stolen, obviously
Right? Or getting shorted a repack by the DC, I'd go with either one, honestly. We've had similar things happen with PHARM stuff and with that I'm 100% sure we were shorted repacks. It's been happening a ton lately.

Right? Or getting shorted a repack by the DC, I'd go with either one, honestly. We've had similar things happen with PHARM stuff and with that I'm 100% sure we were shorted repacks. It's been happening a ton lately.

I wish my store would get shorted repacks :(

But a package of fake eyelashes is like a Winzip license (nobody in history has ever paid for one)

The ETLs trying to pressure FFTMs to meet impossible standards since they have little to no experience picking and searching for items that can't be located.

I challenge all ETLs and the STL to pick. I then include any of their times as long as they are under 9%. So far only the STL has made it on the recognition board.

You have to have the store perfect to get 1%. Under 5% is a reasonable challenge, but the entire store has to be on board. I don't hold anyone to a standard I can't meet myself. I'm not going to find an untagged black swimsuit in a see of black clothing in anything close to a reasonable length of time, but after everything else is done I can spend a little more time on it. The point should be speaking to issues not setting unrealistic expectations. I can do something correctly in 7 min, I'll give you 10, but if you can't do it in 10 you need to explain why. INF is a balance of pick speed and store accuracy. No guest in their right mind is going to spend 20 min looking for one item, but at least SFS can correct on floor on hands, get what appear to be stolen item tags to AP, or research items out make sure that the parts are working together. I have two items from tonight that don't have DCPIs, yesterday I found one of them improperly labeled by price change zoned in an area it didn't belong. Doing that take time, knowing the area, and knowing the products and this week I have to balance that with being significantly over forecast. So the only way to balance that is with bodies that know SFS, you don't consistently get breakneck speed and accuracy.

ETLs are trying to pressure FFTMs to meet impossible standards since they have little to no experience picking and searching for items that can't be located.
Our former ETL would pick with us when we’re behind. He understands trying to locate items with hanging softlines in every section of the backroom with softlines being behind nearly 80% of the time. We used to have only 1 opener but he told the STL we need 2 people at all times and it was stable for a bit. Our new ETL has never done SFS and expects us to check locations it would never be at. Something received 30+ days won’t be in the casepack we received recently. Her green expectations the ETL wants for INF is impossible with the hot mess of a store.

Last edited:
Our former ETL would pick with us when we’re behind. He understand trying to locate items with hanging softlines in every section of the backroom with softlines being behind nearly 80% of the time. We used to have only 1 opener but he told the STL we need 2 people at all times and it was stable for a bit. Our new ETL has never done SFS and expects us to check locations it would never be at. Something received 30+ days won’t be in the casepack we received recently. Her green expectations for INF is impossible with the hot mess of a store.
We get told to check every waco in the HBA aisles in the backroom for things like a single bottle of nail polish. :rolleyes: Oh, and they just installed hanging bars for softlines in our fixture room, which you can barely get the wave into most of the time, so I'm not sure just how that's gonna work out.

We get told to check every waco in the HBA aisles in the backroom for things like a single bottle of nail polish.
THIS!!
Your want me to go through the 3 HBA aisles with 8 letter sections on both sides of each aisle while still being able to pick-on time for 2pm? Our aisles are suppose to be separated by the first 3 of the DPCI so I check that aisle but no they want all 3 HBA aisles. Out of this entire year I’ve found 2 items unlocated in the aisles, both of which were in HBA/COSMETICS aisles.
ETLs shouldn’t listen what Corporate says for recommendations. They forecast-to-payroll is somewhat inaccurate for coverage especially with this over-forecast. The supply audit says order only below 3 pallets of 439 or 1 pallet of 454? Those are the boxes we use 80% of the time.

THIS!!
Your want me to go through the 3 HBA aisles with 8 letter sections while still being able to pick-on time for 2pm? Our aisles are suppose to be separated by the first 3 of the DPCI so I check that aisle but no they want all 3 HBA aisles. Out of this entire year I’ve found 2 items unlocated in the aisles, both of which were in HBA/COSMETICS aisles.
ETLs shouldn’t listen what Corporate says for recommendations. They forecast-to-payroll is somewhat inaccurate for coverage especially with this over-forecast. The supply audit says order only below 3 pallets of 439 or 1 pallet of 454? Those are the boxes we use 80% of the time.
My ETL said that we're expected to be picked and packed by 2:00 and I almost died trying not to laugh. My tactic for "looking" in the wacos has been pulling them out quickly and shining a flashlight into them, I actually have found things a couple times but it's still a massive waste of time. The focus at corporate really needs to be on having a more efficient way to handle INFs. If you INF before 1pm, it really should just drop into another store immediately instead of taking 1-2 days. I feel like that would take a lot of the sting out of having to cancel something if the guest still got it on time, plus then they aren't spending more in payroll for me to spend 40min looking for an item than they made from the sale. I also almost feel like INFs should be calculated differently for high-value merchandise versus cheap stuff. It's more reasonable to spend a long time searching for, say, a Nintendo Switch than it is to spend a long time looking for a single bag of beef jerky (another thing I've been told to spend 30+min looking for in the BR). The only place I regularly find unlocated items in the BR is in the lockup, and that's because we have BRTMs who try to burn batches but don't actually stow the item back into the location. Actually, I occasionally find them in the HOME/DOMS aisles too for the same reason, but that's pretty rare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back