Archived Designated Business Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

15 Sec. Remain

Anyone getting that call?
So my ETL approached me and asked if I was interested in being in this position of Hardlines. She said it would entail being in more of dayside and be focused on one area in particular. Looking for more insight and if anyone else is doing this?

From another thread:
Well based on the confusion it might be terminology that my district is using. We were the first ones to start E2E/MODERNIZATION.
For us a DBO is in charge of everything for a particular area. Its not just pushing, setting, filling, and zoning. You are to know your sales for the year, month, previous day, and today. You are to be an expert and "own" your area so that you can help guests with their needs and meet sales goals.

Hardlines doesn't get a pay bump its more hours to your assigned area. I was assigned Stationary and Kitchen in summer/early fall I had 8 hours everyday.

Yeah no pay bump, but as my old STL put it, target wants team members to be at the level of leads for that specific area, leads at the level of etl, and so forth, and it makes enough sense when we get to 15 an hour that target will want team members to basically be leads for that pay

The way I see it, if you want to advance or be guaranteed hours; say yes. Sure it is more work but it is the future of the company. If you say ‘no’ someone else will be asked and the opportunity will be gone and you may not be asked again and left out in the cold. If you decide to change to ‘no’ as least you gave it a try first.

Yeah no pay bump, but as my old STL put it, target wants team members to be at the level of leads for that specific area, leads at the level of etl, and so forth, and it makes enough sense when we get to 15 an hour that target will want team members to basically be leads for that pay

Except that you have warehouse workers (ala Amazon) and cashiers (Whole Foods) making that now. And as upward wage pressure continues the $15 that Target is advertising/promising may not be that much above market rates by late 2020. Only time will tell. Target needs to be mindful that at this point in time the $12/hr it pays NOW is only $2 and change more than what the cashier at McDonald's earns.

While there is certainly a lot of weight to be given to your point, the fact is that that rate is 2 years away and who knows what other unskilled positions will be paying.

But to be fair, TMs won't be getting TL hours or benefits and TLs won't be getting ETL hours or benefits. Just the responsibilities. Meanwhile ETLs seem to get off pretty easy. Not that it was easy before, but they have to deal with much less scope than they used to.
With TLs taking on ETL responsibilities, SR-TLs and Closing TLs also doing LOD shifts and running the store for considerably less money than ETLs make between their salaries and bonuses, Spot could save a fortune by eliminating the expensive and soon-to-be superfluous ETL level of management, which may well be the next step in their cost cutting rampage.

Several years ago, I worked for another retailer that would pay commission on top of the base pay. Eventually, they did away with the commission and paid employees a straight wage. Those that were making commission had their wages averaged to what they were making before the change. There were employees that were making $10 to $14 an hour ten years ago. Retail pay has not kept up with the passage of time. When I started working 20 years ago my starting pay was $7.50 and it has only inched higher very slowly.

Target is always wanting something for nothing.
Target has gone past thrift and parsimony into unbridled greed. Slow on the uptake as they are, even corporate will eventually understand that there is no such thing as a free lunch, and with staffing, as in all things, you get what you pay for.🙄

From another thread:
Well based on the confusion it might be terminology that my district is using. We were the first ones to start E2E/MODERNIZATION.
For us a DBO is in charge of everything for a particular area. Its not just pushing, setting, filling, and zoning. You are to know your sales for the year, month, previous day, and today. You are to be an expert and "own" your area so that you can help guests with their needs and meet sales goals.
This is an expectation for all of us on the salesfloor at our store and has been since we started E2E/modernization.

Several years ago, I worked for another retailer that would pay commission on top of the base pay. Eventually, they did away with the commission and paid employees a straight wage. Those that were making commission had their wages averaged to what they were making before the change. There were employees that were making $10 to $14 an hour ten years ago. Retail pay has not kept up with the passage of time. When I started working 20 years ago my starting pay was $7.50 and it has only inched higher very slowly.
I worked in retail 12 or so years ago and started at $9.25 I believe. I was at $10.65 a year or so later. This was all base pay. We also got (sort of) commissions on any warranties sold or cell phone activations so it worked out to be much better than that typically.
In the same market, I made less than my old base pay when I started at Target 2-3 years ago and still make less than what I actually made per hour now even with the higher minimums.
Retail pay has definitely not kept up at all.

I was the one who originally posted #2 and I understand everyone's worries about these changes. I was very sceptical at first, but knew from experience that I needed to be prepared and open to these changes. Yes this system isn't perfect, but having a " We Are a Team" mentality and being able to adapt is essential to carry it out. Unfortunately, not everyone at my store were able to adapt. There were people who had been with the company 20+ years, but decided to take an "early retirement" or were performanced out. Yes, it was not pleasent seeing people struggle, but for the most part those who are currently DBOs at my store are flourishing.

Now for some advice for the originator of this thread. Just know that unless your store has unlimited payroll you won't be in just your area. There will be days where you might have to help an adjacent dept. who has a large transition.

Be on top of your sales. Our DTL doesn't have the expectation that you must have every number memorized, but have it at least written down with you. For sure know if you are making sales. If not then have a game plan with how to get it back up by focusing on selling what is on sale that week. That last part can be hard depending on the dept. you are in and type of sale, but be on top of what's going on in your dept.

I understand you have no control in this, but having a good TL is the key. Realistically, you dont have time to look at what new sets are coming and planning your week around them. If there isn't one already, try to establish a routine with your TL. I feel at first we wasted a lot of time because tms were not prepared on where and how to get the paper work they needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back