Archived Designing Planograms

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always been curious who designs the planograms for Target and how one might get into that line of work. Anyone know?

A lot of Spot's pogs are also designed by vendor category management companies who work between Spot and it's national brands. My husband works for one of these companies and uses a software program called JDA to design pogs. They also build actual pogs using samples from the brands to "real world" test them. Most of these companies expect possible employees to have some experience using Planogram software to be hired.

A lot of Spot's pogs are also designed by vendor category management companies who work between Spot and it's national brands. My husband works for one of these companies and uses a software program called JDA to design pogs. They also build actual pogs using samples from the brands to "real world" test them. Most of these companies expect possible employees to have some experience using Planogram software to be hired.

What if I have no experience with this Software, but 3D Graphics Software, as well as experience setting, said aweful planograms?

It's hard to believe some of these pogs and revisions are even looked at by human eyes.

Two examples: a toaster aisle pog from a few years actually had car seats displays to be set in the 5th and 6th section. It was clearly evident just looking over the pog that something was wrong much less setting it.

The coffee maker revision from about two months ago. The cover page had +19 9" pegs on it. Yet called for zero peghooks anywhere in the aisle. Plus, said peghooks were to be set at -21" in each section. Get a trencher! We're digging this aisle up bitches.

So yeah, it seems you need zero experience in actually doing the work to create the work.

What if I have no experience with this Software, but 3D Graphics Software, as well as experience setting, said aweful planograms?

I think it would depend on the company. Some might be more flexible than others. My husband always tell me I should look into that kind of job but I have no desire to design a Planogram on a computer (and I have no experience with it); I like playing around with actual products.

Last edited:
It's hard to believe some of these pogs and revisions are even looked at by human eyes.

Two examples: a toaster aisle pog from a few years actually had car seats displays to be set in the 5th and 6th section. It was clearly evident just looking over the pog that something was wrong much less setting it.

The coffee maker revision from about two months ago. The cover page had +19 9" pegs on it. Yet called for zero peghooks anywhere in the aisle. Plus, said peghooks were to be set at -21" in each section. Get a trencher! We're digging this aisle up bitches.

So yeah, it seems you need zero experience in actually doing the work to create the work.

I've been told by more than one person that they do not really edit or check the mistakes that are made on Planograms because they assume it will just be fixed at the store level. My husband knows I think this is dumb so when I question his pogs, he double checks them now.

All the mistakes that pop up on Planograms are why I would never want to design them on a computer, I'd keep it old school.

I did planograms for another retailer and got the position by having an architectural CAD background and some luck with a temp agency. Once my store realized it, they threw me on the pog team like it would make a difference. The only thing I saw was how little of a shit the people doing Target's drawings gave.

Bonus: CADCAT

qyALcpz.jpg

Last edited:
Without a doubt there are significant issues with pogs. I've seen my fair share. My understanding is that one or two layouts are created in a test section. Measuresments are taken of the layout and the products. Everything is keyed in and then the computer adjusts the layouts with the known measuresments for every type of store layout. Since no two stores are the same, some layouts are std. Some rev. Some 48". Some 36". Some 56" high and others 76" high. So the automatic process creates pogs with every known scenario and then sent to the stores with those known setups. The time to look at each Pog would be ridiculous. However, what would make sense is if Target at least made it easy to communicate between stores with similar layouts to compare and share solutions for the problems that arise.

With the use of these new my devices and the Zebras that are coming. This would be a very achievable possibility.

But that's all a guess and a wish. I actually don't know how they plan and create pogs.

When my husband's categories have revisions, he has to go into each individual revision to make the changes on the pog. Usually he has about a couple hundred to go thru. Takes him a day or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back