Archived Disgruntled GSA post

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoTasking

Home TL
My last two shifts I’ve spent more time off stage planning for the week, calling CSC/troubleshooting, and pulling from backroom that it feels like there is literally no one watching the lanes for half the day. I’m always a walkie away, but it really feels like I can’t effectively do my job

With regard to the "no one watching the lanes" portion, my GSTL/GSAs hand off to a trusted experienced cashier when they have to step away, and calls out to LOD that "I'm stepping away and Goody is watching the front."

When I'm the one tagged, I'm off a lane, or maybe on SCO if we're tight on staff. I don't have supervisor numbers, so if something comes up that requires an override (a price change or coupon over limit, for example), then I still have to call out for help. But because LOD has been warned that a cashier is overseeing the front, they're usually fairly close.

With regard to the "no one watching the lanes" portion, my GSTL/GSAs hand off to a trusted experienced cashier when they have to step away, and calls out to LOD that "I'm stepping away and Goody is watching the front."

When I'm the one tagged, I'm off a lane, or maybe on SCO if we're tight on staff. I don't have supervisor numbers, so if something comes up that requires an override (a price change or coupon over limit, for example), then I still have to call out for help. But because LOD has been warned that a cashier is overseeing the front, they're usually fairly close.
Man I wish we had the numbers or experience for that. I’ve been having to get TLs/ETLs to cover my lunches and skipping 15s because we have so many minors and incompetent cashiers

Man I wish we had the numbers or experience for that. I’ve been having to get TLs/ETLs to cover my lunches and skipping 15s because we have so many minors and incompetent cashiers

I'm a minor and I cover 15s and lunches all the time. I work Guest Services though, so I know a little bit more about best practice than cashiers. Develop your team and you'll be able to step away as long as you need to.

I'm a minor and I cover 15s and lunches all the time. I work Guest Services though, so I know a little bit more about best practice than cashiers. Develop your team and you'll be able to step away as long as you need to.
A minor covering is cool when there aren’t other minors who need alcohol overrides. Not the end of the world, but can be frustrating at times for guests

Which works if your SCO person is old enough. My store manages to forget that part far too often.

I tell my GSTLs/GSAs all the time to go ahead and take their 15s. I don't think Spot treats anyone well enough to skip a break and the front will survive without a GSTL for 15 minutes. Also, I'm in the building so I tell them to just call. Sh*t it's my department. What kind of asshole leader won't watch their own department for 15 minutes?! I also call out the other LODs who are there in the morning. The way my schedule is written, my STL almost never has me in at store open. I get frustrated that there are at least 6 other TLs and 3 ETLs in the building before noon and yet no one is willing to cover the front so my team can take their breaks on time.

I also give almost all of my cashiers walkies when I'm watching the front. Most of the time I can answer their questions or send someone over to help without having to keep running back and forth. Example: I'm on one end of the line registers. Minor way on the other end needs an alcohol override. Oh look the Market TL is walking by. Walkie him to take 2 steps and take care of it. Problem solved. Seriously, train your team to use the walkies.

Usually I just have whoever is running SCO go over and do the override and then come back.

Can't happen at my store, high theft. Probably why we have very few minors on staff and they aren't usually scheduled during the week (including summer).

My store doesn’t have enough walkies for every cashier to have one so only GS gets them.
I basically had to beg my DTL for 6 months to approve a CAPEX order for more walkies. My store had basically been without a competent GE for a while, and no one cared about equipment control. He finally gave in when I showed him how much we needed them. Until he did though I used to hide 2 walkies and would make sure a cashier on each end had one.

My store doesn’t have enough walkies for every cashier to have one so only GS gets them.
My store either. None of the cashiers ever have walkies, and the phones were taken out a long time ago, so if the GSA goes on break or has to leave the front end unsupervised for an extended period of time it’s basically like a dumpster fire. No zebra up front for them either since they’re locked up

My store either. None of the cashiers ever have walkies, and the phones were taken out a long time ago, so if the GSA goes on break or has to leave the front end unsupervised for an extended period of time it’s basically like a dumpster fire. No zebra up front for them either since they’re locked up
Yeah, it's all kinds of a mess when the GSTL is dealing with a less-than-friendly guest at Guest Services and there's no GSA to help.

Lane light is flashing and no one comes, so we try to help each other out.
One GSTL told me to just use the "ADD'L ASST" button if they don't come within 30 seconds.

I tell my GSTLs/GSAs all the time to go ahead and take their 15s. I don't think Spot treats anyone well enough to skip a break and the front will survive without a GSTL for 15 minutes. Also, I'm in the building so I tell them to just call. Sh*t it's my department. What kind of asshole leader won't watch their own department for 15 minutes?! I also call out the other LODs who are there in the morning. The way my schedule is written, my STL almost never has me in at store open. I get frustrated that there are at least 6 other TLs and 3 ETLs in the building before noon and yet no one is willing to cover the front so my team can take their breaks on time.

I also give almost all of my cashiers walkies when I'm watching the front. Most of the time I can answer their questions or send someone over to help without having to keep running back and forth. Example: I'm on one end of the line registers. Minor way on the other end needs an alcohol override. Oh look the Market TL is walking by. Walkie him to take 2 steps and take care of it. Problem solved. Seriously, train your team to use the walkies.
We barely have enough walkies for those who need them.

Yep, reading that post from @LearningTree made me want to work there. (A GE that supports the front end? What a dream!)

We don't have enough walkies to go around. I've had to walkie the floor to get one for my CA more than once.

The times where I've been operator for store opening, I've often had to either get my ETL (if there) or the LOD involved in order to get a walkie because there aren't enough radios and no one will give up theirs for the operator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back