Archived "Don't you know it's Christmas?!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seriously don't understand why backup is such a necessity at every Target. Can't they just allocate more cashier hours so other people can just do their own jobs?
I wish there was more focus on cross training cashiers so they could bulk up front lane hours to keep salesfloor on the salesfloor, and have the extra cashiers help out in those areas during slow periods. It just makes more sense to me than the back-and-forth we have now of either sapping the entire workforce or having the cashiers waiting around, bored.

I seriously don't understand why backup is such a necessity at every Target. Can't they just allocate more cashier hours so other people can just do their own jobs?

Its being cheap. The logic is anyone can backup cashier when it gets busy but when its slow they assume cashiers cant do much else (not true some can push one spot, push candy or work on reshop) but I dont think I have ever seen a cashier at my store help sales floor by pushing anything other than one spot and candy which is their job anyways at my store.

My dad visited me at my Target while I was out on Carts and told me we were super busy with only two lanes open.

I don't have a hard time believing it. :D

It's ludicrous how few hours stores are getting allocated to dealing with the holiday rush. I've NEVER seen it this bad. This is the one time of year we should have a decent amount of people for guest service but nah, you get 1 person for hardlines and maybe 1 other person besides the operator for softlines. Both of them are probably the TLs and they're either doing cashier backups or FAs.

I'm just going to start telling guests to use store pickup if they don't like the lines. Tough luck, you waited until the last minute to do your shopping. This is why I order everything online or buy it weeks in advance, I avoid shopping on the weekend before Christmas like the plague.
Ironically, I was a lot better at that before I started working at Target lol. Schedules all jacked up and there's no time now.

A guest told me this today after reaming me out about the lines they had to wait in. We had 7 registers open, which includes our entire sales floor and cashier team.

Is anybody else's store completely running on fumes for payroll? I've never seen it this bad and it's honestly the worst Christmas season I have ever seen. We're already over payroll for the month, so we're not replacing any shifts, sending people home early, all the fun of January: now in December!

I would be like

Thanks captain obvious...THATS WHY ITS BUSY...BECAUSE ITS XMAS

How do SL tms get away with that? Where is the closing LOD? They should be keeping track of who is going up, and spread the backup response around.

At my store the SL TMs are usually the ones who go up to backup because ....guess what? Their workcenter is ..RIGHT NEXT TO THE CHECKLANES. Takes like 15 sec to get on a lane compared to the 1-2 or maybe more minutes to walk from the end of market or sporting goods or backroom area all the way up to be stopped by guests and before you know it, its a 5 minute wait to get on a lane

That along with GENERALLY people shopping in SL have WAY ...WAY less questions and needing help than those in hardlines. I do Pfresh and I swear almost every guest I have to go half way across the store to help them find what they need and then help them with another additional thing after that

I usually never answer for backup as PA because im literally the only one in Market, and have to help a bunch of people outside of Market allready, especially when I have to go through seasonal, mini seasonal to get to my backroom area. OH and doing backroom duties...and C&S duties....and instocks duties...such fun

Last edited:
Our EIT is closing LOD twice a week and she is a total pushover. I dont know if you heard the story how our SL TMs love to brag how their team member number starts with one.

The LOD who calls them out they always use the famous "I am with a guest" to get out of it.

We have a TM like that also with a low number who straights up tells the LOD that they are with a guest and just stands there. They know she does it but do nothing about it. At least she works abandon...o_O

It's ludicrous how few hours stores are getting allocated to dealing with the holiday rush. I've NEVER seen it this bad.
Target is really taking a hit on their margins this holiday season. The discounts we are offering this year (everything from the 5% off with the RedCards, all the Cartwheel deals, the 50% off the Toy of the Day, to the daily deals we were offering this week) are reducing profits on those items. The only place those profits can be made up is through scheduling as few TMs as possible.

I expect sales will be up this holiday season, but profits will not rise accordingly.

There are at least two long-term problems with this strategy when it comes to Guests. The first is, you train Guests to always except these kinds of discounts and they will not shop at Target until they are offered. The second is you lessen the appeal of coming to a Target when a Guest experiences a trashed Sales Floor, no one to quickly and effectively help them on the Sales Floor, and massive lines at the checkouts.

Target is currently about short-term gains, failing to realize they will lead to long-term pain which will be extremely difficult or impossible to recover from.

All I've heard the past week: "Salesfloor if you're not with a guest I need you up front. Repeat, if you are not with a guest get on a lane and turn your light on." Ridiculous.

At my store they lie and say they are with a guest even when they are not

All I've heard the past week: "Salesfloor if you're not with a guest I need you up front. Repeat, if you are not with a guest get on a lane and turn your light on." Ridiculous.

"Yeah so you want me to tell the three guests in my face that they don't matter until they want to pay?"

This week I think the answer is "Nope don't care until they want to pay."

"Do you have this tv?"

"No."

"Well how do I get it for this price?"

"The sale ends today, soo...."

"It's not my fault that you don't have it in stock. How do I get this tv for that price?"

I could've printed a raincheck..but instead how about you go drive that motorized cart of yours into traffic?

Yeah the asshole who asked where the Teflon knives were, I asked you to be more specific since I had no idea what they are used for. Hunting, kitchen or craft. Your reply of "So you are going make me read everyone of these?" with the most snarky tone I have heard in a bit..

Yes, Yes I am cause I told you it was not something I know about so if you want what you want yes you better do your research.. I am not Wikipedia.

Yeah the asshole who asked where the Teflon knives were, I asked you to be more specific since I had no idea what they are used for. Hunting, kitchen or craft. Your reply of "So you are going make me read everyone of these?" with the most snarky tone I have heard in a bit..

Yes, Yes I am cause I told you it was not something I know about so if you want what you want yes you better do your research.. I am not Wikipedia.

This is the worse when I have to help people outside of Market....even sometimes inside of market. There are some things I just dont really know, or have heard the term but not sure where it would be. Usually I will attempt to look it up in the mydevice or ask them to explain further what it is used for or what sort of things it is usually found around

This is the worse when I have to help people outside of Market....even sometimes inside of market. There are some things I just dont really know, or have heard the term but not sure where it would be. Usually I will attempt to look it up in the mydevice or ask them to explain further what it is used for or what sort of things it is usually found around

We were standing by the kitchen knives and I had to bite my tongue til it bled since at that point yesterday I would have gladly disemboweled his ass I was so done..

I had a guest at service desk on Friday ask why she didn't get a discount on cartwheel, I replied because it isn't the right item. It's for a different size of cat food. She then asks "Well can't you send anyone to go get it for me?" I looked at her and just tried not to lose it. My line was at least a 20 minute wait and EVERYONE and I mean, EVERYONE was on a lane.

Besides an annoying guest here and there, my whole shift consisted of some of the most understanding guests I have ever encountered. Not a single one complained about the wait and if anything they felt bad for me being the only one at guest service. I even had a guest tell me "What you do is definitely not going unappreciated. I have waited in this whole line and not once have I seen you lose that smile or your composure. Let me give you a hug." That definitely made my day.

I was walking up to go clock out Christmas Eve and was stopped by a guest.

I spent TWENTY MINUTES with this lady trying to get her to understand that while, yes, we do price match Walmart we have to 1. be able to find it in our system (er- the GSA has to find it on their price-matching ipad thing), 2. it has to be the exact same item.

I had to stand there and wait as she scrolled through the entire walmart ad on her phone in order to find a cooking set. And she kept saying "Walmart has Rachel Ray $60 cheaper than you do. I could go there, but I don't want to deal with that chaos"

...well, as you can plainly see from our shelves, ma'am, Rachel Ray has more than 1 type of cooking set. Yes, it blows my mind that a 16-pc set is cheaper than an 11-pc set, but the items in the set are different, therefor the sets are different, therefor Walmart doesn't have "this same set" for $60 less...they have a Rachel Ray cooking set that is $99, and we have some that are $150. If you would like the $99 one, please, by all means, go to Walmart, BUT LET ME GO HOME!!!!

As horrible as it sounds I basically ended up cutting her off mid-sentence and walked away. We had a massive truck, the backstock situation was overwhelming, and I was just fucking sick of being at work. It was 20min past the end of my shift, this lady's request was totally unreasonable and she didn't seem to understand it. My nametag was on underneath the red hoodie I was wearing, so I figured "hell...she has no idea who I am and therefor can't really complain...I'm done" :oops::oops:

I've never really done that before, but some people are just impossible.

@callmetaylor, you could of said, that does not match the set spot carries. Count the set & pans.

I know the lady she was dealing with, they keep talking until you just give them what they want. Very passive aggressive way of beating the crap out of you. And if you get snippy at all they throw a shit fit that you treated them the worst they have ever been treated.

Yep, those types have nothing to lose & everything to gain if they can waste your time & wear you down.
They refuse to comprehend logic nor take "No" for an answer.
In short, the unreasonable can NOT be reasoned with so a short & terse cut-off was the way to go.

My very last guest was buying an xbox and a few games.

Lemme go back, she said before she asked for the Xbox that this is her last Xmas because she has cancer.

Long story short, every form of payment got declined or I simply couldn't accept them (starter checks? Money orders? Wat lol) and out came the waterworks.

Not sure if I just had an actress or if I ruined Xmas. :S

The good news is ( for the most part ) It's over.. Now we have guests buying all Christmas ( reduced items) and taking everything back tomorrow and the next few days. The bad news no more wearing jeans :(it was fun while it lasted. I have a funny feeling TMs will be wearing them tomorrow though lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back