Archived Drug testing for seasonal cashiers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend is looking for a seasonal job. She's done management before and worked electronics and stocking at two different Wal-Marts, so she's well qualified.

Only problem is, she smoked a single hit of pot, for the first time, a few days ago. Go figure. She asked at the store she was looking to apply to, they said they test for every single employee.

At my store that's not the case, I was never tested, and most of my fellow TMs weren't either. I also feel that would cut out a rather large chunk of your employees if anyone who'd done pot in the last six weeks couldn't press buttons at a register. Seems wholly unnecessary. I smoke regularly and do my job just fine.

Do you guys feel this is a case of ASANTS, or was the TM she asked just bullshitting her? For the record, she lives in Chicago suburbs, so maybe their laws are stricter there?

My friend is looking for a seasonal job. She's done management before and worked electronics and stocking at two different Wal-Marts, so she's well qualified.

Only problem is, she smoked a single hit of pot, for the first time, a few days ago. Go figure. She asked at the store she was looking to apply to, they said they test for every single employee.

At my store that's not the case, I was never tested, and most of my fellow TMs weren't either. I also feel that would cut out a rather large chunk of your employees if anyone who'd done pot in the last six weeks couldn't press buttons at a register. Seems wholly unnecessary. I smoke regularly and do my job just fine.

Do you guys feel this is a case of ASANTS, or was the TM she asked just bullshitting her? For the record, she lives in Chicago suburbs, so maybe their laws are stricter there?
No drug testing unless she's gonna be management or LP.

Just tell her to wait a week or so. By then, the "one single hit" will be out of her system.

If she's lying about the "one single hit," then there could be problems.

Why do so many people feel the need to quote the previous post?

They could have just said that to weed out people. I mean if your friend straight up asked if they did drug testing. . . That usually implies the person has done drugs. . . Lol while I don't think very many targets drug test anymore. . . They can still fool the people who openly ask if they do drug test. Because I'm sure they don't want people who do drugs.

They could have just said that to weed out people. I mean if your friend straight up asked if they did drug testing. . . That usually implies the person has done drugs. . . Lol while I don't think very many targets drug test anymore. . . They can still fool the people who openly ask if they do drug test. Because I'm sure they don't want people who do drugs.

I suspected that. Not sure if she asked management or what, but if I had a potential applicant ask me "do you test?" I'd also say yes to discourage their employment. Similar to "Do your security cameras all work?" Yes, they all do, totally not lying. Don't try it.

She can call their bluff, apply and see if they force her to take the test. If she takes it and fails, its not public record.

IMO it was not a smart question on her part, if I was HR and someone asked me if we drug test it would raise an eyebrow. Not because of marijuana which is legal in most of the west coast but we do have a heroin problem in our state.

In my state stores only drug test for exempt positions (STL, ETL) and all LP positions as someone above mentioned. It isnt cost efficient to drug test everyone else.

She can call their bluff, apply and see if they force her to take the test. If she takes it and fails, its not public record.

IMO it was not a smart question on her part, if I was HR and someone asked me if we drug test it would raise an eyebrow. Not because of marijuana which is legal in most of the west coast but we do have a heroin problem in our state.

In my state stores only drug test for exempt positions (STL, ETL) and all LP positions as someone above mentioned. It isnt cost efficient to drug test everyone else.

Yeah, I'd have not asked, there's two Targets in
her neighborhood, probably best if she tries the one where they don't recognize her as the chick asking the drug question. She shoulda just listened to me. Ah well.

I told her worst that can happen is she's asked to test and she turns them down and doesn't get the job. But she's not wasted any more time than any other interview where she'd end up my making the cut.

Same in our state. When I call applicants and set up interviews with them and they ask about drug tests, I always inform the team lead and ETL doing their interview.

If she only too "one hit" it won't show up in a drug test.....

That's what I thought as well. She's paranoid about it a bit and not super knowledgeable. She was trying to convince me they can check with a breathilizer test..:rolleyes:

Just tell her to wait a week before she applies. By the time HR gets to reviewing her app and setting up her interview she should be good.

30 days from google dunno if thats true
just tell them thats second hand smoke mj from a friend

30 days from google dunno if thats true
just tell them thats second hand smoke mj from a friend

It's about two weeks for it to not show up on most tests. It still shows in fat cells and hair for well over a month, but Target isn't gonna test for that.

It can stay in your hair for up to a year.

It can stay in your hair for up to a year.

Huh. I thought it was up to 3 months. But I've never had to personally worry about being drug tested, so I only know what I've been told from
friends. Either way, Target won't ask for a hair sample I presume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back