Archived Dumb questions from Guests......really..... you have to ask?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you open? Just because you are standing at a register trying to put something on a flat surface to open it or fix it.

I also hate - When I turn my light off and I tell the guest they will be the last guest before I leave. Someone always puts their things on the belt anyway. The guest I told just watches them, doesn't say a word to me. I hand them the receipt, turn to look and there are 3 people on line. Sigh. One of them will usually say - are you opened? I always look up at my light that I know is turned off and say no only the ones with the lights on are open, but I will take you before I leave. Then they insist I turned the light off after they put their things down. I politely tell them, no I turned it off 3 guests ago. I know I did because I am about to hit compliance - compliance means I get a write up for punching out to late, but let me finish up your order then I can run to the time clock. And then it always seems that they had no idea that they had to pay. After I tell them their total, They fumble around through their purse looking for their wallet, then try to find their REDcard and usually pull out every other red credit card they have and say, no that's not it. I would love to be playing a ticking clock sound for them.

Are you open? Just because you are standing at a register trying to put something on a flat surface to open it or fix it.

My SFT has gotten this so many times. He's not even wearing red, of course he's not gonna cash you out!

Actually had a guest ask today if I could look up her Redcard numbers since she forgot her card. Thanks to this thread I knew what the answer to that question was.

She then wanted to know if she came back with her card and receipt, if we'd refund the 5% or whatever. Yeah...I doubt that.

She then wanted to know if she came back with her card and receipt, if we'd refund the 5% or whatever. Yeah...I doubt that.

If I remember correctly, she would have to come back the same day to do it. You would scan the receipt, Fix a Mistake, Wrong Payment, and the payment would be post voided. Just be careful when doing a post void with a credit card.

Actually had a guest ask today if I could look up her Redcard numbers since she forgot her card.

That's not unusual, I get that question daily.

Absolutely, why wouldn't she be able to? It's about a thirty second process. It'd just need to be done as described in the post above, or at least at our store if she came back the next day we'd just do a return and re-ring of every item on the receipt (though we'd tell her she needed to bring it back the same day if she asked, but at the same time if a guest came in the day after and asked if they could get the 5% off we'd still do it via the return/re-ring method to make them happy), though that'd take longer and be a pain in the ass if it was a lot of items purchased.

The following makes me die a little bit inside every time:
Guest walks up to me, looks me in the eyes, then looks at my shirt, then looks me in the eyes again and then says:
"Excuse me, do you work here?"
Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!! Nope just walking around with a Target shirt and name tag just to mess with people.:gamer3:
Actually a few days ago we had someone walking around our store with a fake target name badge so for our store it's a valid question.

my personal favorite is "is it safe to swipe my card?" I always with a cheery voice say yes it is, the problem was solved. but in my mind I want to say to them "if you are that scared of getting your card info stole then use cash! why would you use a credit card if you are that scared?!"
I actually had a guest ask me this and I said yes after the gstl came over and said you shouldn't have said yes because now targets liable if something happens oops.

I have the most winning guest question ever. I was working on fixing a drain over in pFresh, and a guest walks up and asks if I work there (valid question, we don't look like the rest of the team). After letting her know I did work here, she asked if I knew where the closest Target store was in town..... ?

How do you answer that?

I was working on a pull. I put baguettes on the bakery table and a guest picked some up. I watched her examine each one from the corner of my eye. She asked me, "Why is this bread hard?" When I told her we get it frozen, she asked, "When it thaws, does it get soft?" :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I was working on a pull. I put baguettes on the bakery table and and guest picked some up. I watched her examine each one from the corner of my eye. She asked me, "Why is this bread hard?" When I told her we get it frozen, she asked, "When it thaws, does it get soft?" :rolleyes:

No, it actually becomes petrified.
facepalm.gif

I was working on a pull. I put baguettes on the bakery table and and guest picked some up. I watched her examine each one from the corner of my eye. She asked me, "Why is this bread hard?" When I told her we get it frozen, she asked, "When it thaws, does it get soft?" :rolleyes:

facepalm.gif

I need to get away from retail.... My first thought when I read this was "It's happy to see you...."

facepalm.gif

I need to get away from retail.... My first thought when I read this was "It's happy to see you...."

Is that a baguette in your pocket?

Actually had a guest ask today if I could look up her Redcard numbers since she forgot her card. Thanks to this thread I knew what the answer to that question was.

You CAN do that but it has to be at the same Target they went that day and it must be by closing we will give the guest the 5% back in cash. it could be different at your Target so just ask your GSTL or ETL-GE.

Last edited:
Uhh, back in cash?

That's bad. Illegal in fact if it was a credit card, it's essentially giving them a cash advance, and lets them return the shit after and have just gotten a free 5% of the purchase value in cash.

Don't do that.

K6->K5 fix a Mistake, Wrong Payment, put the transaction on their redcard.

facepalm.gif

Is that a baguette in your pocket?
lol I love you guys!

Sometimes it's not what they ask, so much as who they ask.

I appreciate I was walking past the end of the aisle they were in, so the guest grabbed the person in red & khaki. Fine. But maybe you should then ask him to call someone, instead of diving straight in to asking the young male TM very detailed questions on the types, uses, and pros/cons of - feminine hygiene products.

^This.
From my VERY early yrs in softlines, I rescued (but almost abandoned) a young male TM who had shown several women where Intimates was before they began asking him multiple questions about bras.
I responded after hearing his frantic call over the walkie.
He said to the ladies, as I approached "Redeye can help you because she has an abundance of....." not realizing he was gesturing in the region of my chest. When he looked over & it clicked, he finished with "...experience!"

Our softlines TM was on break or lunch once, leaving our hardlines TM as the only one between the two areas. I can't remember who the hardlines TM was exactly, but I know it was like an 18 or 19 year old kid that I'm not sure had ever even had a girlfriend at that point. Anyway, a guest had a question about intimates. I was on a lane and couldn't get away, anyway. So I called the LOD who was a woman, figuring I would spare the hardlines TM the embarrassment. She refused to help out. She kept going on and on that just because she was the LOD didn't mean she had to cover all of these calls and the other TMs needed to do their part and help out in the various areas. Even after I told her it was for a guest needing help in intimates, she still said the poor kid just needed to deal with it. I really wanted to shove her off her high horse.

Our softlines TM was on break or lunch once, leaving our hardlines TM as the only one between the two areas. I can't remember who the hardlines TM was exactly, but I know it was like an 18 or 19 year old kid that I'm not sure had ever even had a girlfriend at that point. Anyway, a guest had a question about intimates. I was on a lane and couldn't get away, anyway. So I called the LOD who was a woman, figuring I would spare the hardlines TM the embarrassment. She refused to help out. She kept going on and on that just because she was the LOD didn't mean she had to cover all of these calls and the other TMs needed to do their part and help out in the various areas. Even after I told her it was for a guest needing help in intimates, she still said the poor kid just needed to deal with it. I really wanted to shove her off her high horse.

That's awful. She should've viewed it as finding the most qualified TM to help the guest, not as a TM not wanting to do his job. And what would she have done if he were with a guest? Jeeze.

Today, I'm in my red shirt and khakis, wearing my nametag, and pushing a giant flat of furniture/plastics/hardware/houseware backstock to the back room, and a guest stops me and asks "um, do you work here?" I was pleasant and responded in the affirmative and helped her with whatever she wanted, but in my head I'm baffled. Is the uniform, nametag with the store's logo, and giant flat of merchandise not a big enough hint that I do, indeed, work here?

Today, I'm in my red shirt and khakis, wearing my nametag, and pushing a giant flat of furniture/plastics/hardware/houseware backstock to the back room, and a guest stops me and asks "um, do you work here?" I was pleasant and responded in the affirmative and helped her with whatever she wanted, but in my head I'm baffled. Is the uniform, nametag with the store's logo, and giant flat of merchandise not a big enough hint that I do, indeed, work here?

Surprised no one has thought of a theft ring. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back