Archived Electronics Attachment Rate

Status
Not open for further replies.
There have been some changes in my store and I have internally promoted to Electronics TL (just beginning to train), with other areas of hardlines as well. So first off, thanks so far for the information. The more perspective the better.

It seems the TMs in the area don't take a whole lot of initiative in running a brand and effective department. Granted they have more knowledge than I about severalproducts (I have only covered lunches and breaks before), but they come of as not genuine. How do I resolve this?

Selling attachments outside the boat is a jewel piece of advice... Any others for a newb salesman? And what exactly is considered an attachment? Sold a lady a prepaid phone, phone card, and a clearence wiimote holder (it is a great cell phone holder too), is that a 200 or 100% attachment rate?

+1 on username

I found a document on workbench that specified what could count as an attachment. I think I searched accessory attachment rate and it was one of the first things that came up.
I've been dealing with AAR for nearly a year now (as an electronics/hardlines tl). if you have any questions feel free to ask!

There have been some changes in my store and I have internally promoted to Electronics TL (just beginning to train), with other areas of hardlines as well. So first off, thanks so far for the information. The more perspective the better.

It seems the TMs in the area don't take a whole lot of initiative in running a brand and effective department. Granted they have more knowledge than I about severalproducts (I have only covered lunches and breaks before), but they come of as not genuine. How do I resolve this?

Selling attachments outside the boat is a jewel piece of advice... Any others for a newb salesman? And what exactly is considered an attachment? Sold a lady a prepaid phone, phone card, and a clearence wiimote holder (it is a great cell phone holder too), is that a 200 or 100% attachment rate?

I too have recently moved as Electronics TL. As my other departments include Seasonal, I've been tied up with prepping for BTS/BTC, but my ETL wants my month planned out to have 2 TMs which I status with that week to give them feedback on their performance. Basically, 2 TMs which I focus on during set weeks in the month, and the next week is a different 2. I plan to follow through with this idea and maybe this can help you as well. I think I struggle with the same issues as you, but having regular statuses with the team would be a good way to communicate new expectations, such as brand and profitability. Have you dove into your sales for the department to see which areas you are struggling with? I've found so far that if I print out the sales for the individual dept/class within Electronics, it helps me to recognize problems easier and come up with a plan for the team to follow through on (OUTs, signing for promotions/proper labels, general cleanliness to make it attractive).

I thought batteries were on the att. list. May want to review list. Customer service is a must for electronics & yes Electronics is a different pay grade so you are getting paid to get the attachments & great gest service. VIBE VIBE VIBE!

Hello team!

Recently I got promoted to TL Hard lines inside the store. I recently found out that one of my new work centers will be Electronics. My question is how to better our attachment rate. What games or things do you do inside your store that raises AAR scores and awareness?

While I can't give any examples for games or other incentives to increase your AAR scores (because my store doesn't do that), you also don't really need them either. They're great if you're trying to make a quick improvement, but not something that should regularly be done. Sometimes, Target will have an internal storewide competition to help increase AAR scores, such as this past June in which Target did a storewide competition concerning Service and Replacement Plans and the winners from each district getting $150 toward a store party.

Ultimately, your team members in Electronics (and you, especially), are supposed to be trained in the art of AAR. Not saying you and your team members aren't, mind you, but still, it's in the training. Also, talk to your GSTLs. While they won't have as much of an opportunity for attachments as you will in Electronics, they're included in the AAR scores.

Best thing I can suggest to you, and your team members, is to take a little bit more time when helping a guest and learn about what they're wanting to do with the product they're purchasing. You can then use whatever knowledge you have to assist them in finding whatever else they need. I get asked a lot by guests what games I'd suggest for 3DS systems. From that point, I'll figure out the age range of the child and whether it's a boy or girl and suggest potential titles like any of the Super Mario games or any of the LEGO games.

While the training manual isn't totally updated, it's still a great resource. In fact, if you print out the Electronics Champion News each week, it'll also have suggestions for items on sale that week.

P.S. Last time I thought, phone cards are on the list for pre-paid phones, but I'm not sure that they count for us because they're technically supposed to be done through Target Mobile now (even though we can still sell them). I'm also pretty sure batteries may still count, because it'd be a bit strange that batteries sold with the Nikon L28 camera wouldn't count considering they're required for the camera to work, but maybe that's just me.

Sorry, I know I feel like I'm bringing back a semi-old topic. I'm not a Team Lead, but I thought it'd help..

100%. While it's great that she picked up a holder and could potentially be using it as a phone holder, usually attachments for items count only in their respective department numbers, such as an Xbox 360 and a copy of Black Ops II both being in department 207. I say usually though. Not always the case, but a lot of the time it is.

Great job though!

How do ESPs work? How does the guest go about using it? Does Target replace the item or fix it or...?

How do ESPs work? How does the guest go about using it? Does Target replace the item or fix it or...?

I'm not entirely sure how the actual "service" (blue, yellow, and gaming) plans work because I don't have experience with them first-hand, but as far as the "replacement" (yellow) plans go, the guest calls the 800 number in the packet, and basically explains the problem to the guest relations and they'll usually be issued a gift card for the amount of the product.

I'm sure that with the actual service plans, they'll usually try to either have someone come out and fix it (as in the case of a TV or something) or send a gift card for the amount of the product.

A lot of good info on here, so I will just touch on a couple points. My store does not play any games. We have the right mix of people, people that actually WANT to be there. The other key is that our TM's know the core roles and know the product.

As far as raising awareness, I make it a point to educate the other HL & SL TM's at every huddle that I attend, and talk up AAR and SR/P's. That way when they DO back up, they are prepared. I actually had a TM backing up tonight sold a Laptop with the purple tablet plan. I have already had softlines TM's that back up sell plans and accessories with cameras and iPods. They don't need to know the in's and outs of the product like us Electronics TM's do, just what is needed to go with the product and how the SR/P's function.

Offer prizes for getting "X" amount of attachments in a day or a week. There is no incentive for getting AA's in my store so no one wants to get them. It can be something as simple as a candy bar or soda.. or if someone gets a ridiculous amount maybe a gift card or a DVD?

Personally, my incentive is being the best. I take pride in knowing we are always in the top 5 each week. My personal goal is to finish out like we did last year, #1 in our district.

We tell our team members we want our guests to use their purchases right away without needing anything, and talking about it before you get to the register is definetly a good practice. Even something as simple as batteries counts.

Exactly!

Just to clarify..... batteries are not counted in AAR, but they are profitable!!!

Actually batteries DO count, but only towards cameras. Which is why I always push the Advanced and Ultimate Lithium Batteries with the cameras that need them. An easy sell when you explain to the guests that cameras eat alkalines for lunch.

Are the gaming cards counted?
Seems like you could could go a long way with those.

For consoles the pre-sells definitely count, as well as the points/cash cards.

I don't give a **** about "recognition" why the hell should I waste my time upselling when I get nothing for it and it just puts me behind in my zone/abandon? For a pat on the back?? Or a half ass sarcastic "wow great job" ?? no, i'm not a dog.

You guys really enjoy being Target's b***h...That's crazy to me... the pay is horrible, management is sub-par, guests are ridiculously annoying, and the list goes on really. Once I get through college I can get the hell out...I can't imagine being stuck there for 10+ years

I am sorry you feel that way. Myself, I love working at Target, especially in electronics. I come into work each day ready to help guests, because that's what it's all about. If you are there only just to collect a paycheck, then maybe you don't belong in electronics. Hey more power to ya though, I hope you can find something that suits you better when you get out of college.

At my store, AAR IS the reason you are in the workcenter. You tell me you can do it, you better be putting up over 100% a week. I can get ANYone to push reshop and zone. Brand TM's are elite, not just a zoner. I guess there is a reason that we are #1 in our group YTD. Show us you can or get out. "'Can do' not 'you do.'"

Exactly how my store is. If you aren't there to help further the cause, then you get replaced with somebody that is and rotated out into regular Hardlines.

Print out the Electronics TM Core roles and make sure your regular Electronics TM's read them and understand them. Those are the standards they need to follow. IMO being an Electronics TM is a privilege. Electronics knowledge is all fine and well, but without the guest service and being able to keep the department brand it's no good.

If they're buying say a bluray player, do they have a HDTV? Do they need a HDMI cable?

Actually any blu-ray player we sell now is HD only, so they can only hook to HDTV's. Makes selling HDMI cables easier, unless of course the guest already has one lol.

Ask a TL to set you up on the Service and Replacement Plan quiz on Workbench. To answer your question though, the company we work with, will either issue a giftcard for the two year replacement plans, or will try to repair the item for the 3 year service plans and issue a giftcard if they cannot be repaired.

Laptops/tablets MUST use the Purple tablet plan, it not only covers defects, but damage as well. Game Consoles have an optional 2 year gaming plan that can be offered (green plan), which that covers damage on the console and damage on up to five games for that console. If the guest doesn't want to pay for that then they can still opt for the 3 year service plan or the 2 year replacement plan. Same thing on cameras, there is a new optional 2 year camera plan that covers damages (black plan), very popular! Of course which you go with will depend on the price point of the product. That's why the plans have different pricing structures on the cards.

Study Pavlov's dog and tell me if giving rewards for red cards or AAR is the answer. It's not. You will not succeed long term of you do that. Recognition and TM accountability are key. Everyone is part of the team and the store (team) is expected to perform at XXXXX level. This is all inclusive. The STL is expected to have a green conversion %, just as every cashier. Perform and reward top performers as you see fit.

I don't give a **** about "recognition" why the hell should I waste my time upselling when I get nothing for it and it just puts me behind in my zone/abandon? For a pat on the back?? Or a half ass sarcastic "wow great job" ?? no, i'm not a dog.

If you are keyed into JAS as an Electronics team member, you are or should be getting incentive pay. At our store my Electronics Team Members are getting an extra $.50 and hour to "upsell" attachments.

But how many stores actually key people as "Electronics Team Memebers"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back