Archived Electronics Shift

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all!

So my ETL asked if I wanted to take an electronics shift as a TM recently quit for that department. I was hesitant because I lack any knowledge of electronics and the department, so I had a few questions:

1) What do you generally do during the shift? Are there CAFs to push? I know there's reshop to do.
2) How do you put on the spider wraps? No one has ever taught me and I know electronics has a lot of items with spider wraps and other anti-theft measures in place.
3) Speaking of spider wraps, how do you I guess shorten them (not sure how to describe it, but after they're taken off, I see people making them shorter, how do they do that)?
4) Where should start learning stuff about electronics/the department?

Thanks!

Ask your TPS for help with spider wraps. Mine is always happy to show people how to merch protect. It helps start up a relationship with them too, because chances are you'll be working closely with them.

You'll be pushing CAFs for toys, electronics, and entertainment and most likely sporting goods or whatever else the LOD wants you to do. During down time you should be maintaining the department with things like lable maintaince, super zoning, filling end caps, etc.

Your TL can start showing you the ropes, but I would recommend asking the electronics TMs since they're the ones who spend the most time back there and would most likely have more time to explain processes and how they personally do things.

Electronics isn't too different from most hardlines shifts with push/reshop/zone, but there's a lot more emphasis on engaging with guests and driving sales, even if only because so much merchandise is locked away or has to be pulled from back. Try to add something to a purchase wherever you can, and try to learn which things need extra cables, batteries, memory cards, etc. Even just a little "Do you think you might need an extra X or Y for this?" can go a long way.

Especially on an opening shift where you have more time, there's a lot of room to show that you're independent and take initiative. Do whatever you can to fill empty game cases whenever they pop up, especially on any endcaps. Discontinued/NOP games are great for this if you have them, but even if you use one from the same case, it looks so much better. Take time to make sure labels are accurate. Most guests will check out with you at the boat, so you'll have the headache when they challenge something. Phone cables and cases tend to get put back in the wrong place a lot, so a super zone is always welcome. It'll help guests, other electronics TMs, instocks TMs, SFS, etc.

It can get hectic some days, but if you like helping guests and staying busy, it's a good way to pass the time.

Thanks for the replies so far, they've been helping! I'm usually working hardlines and cover electronics when they have breaks/lunch but never to the extent of a shift (I'm working a late mid for that electro shift).

I'll definitely ask the TL, but he's usually either not there when I'm working or not that helpful in terms of showing people how to do things. My main concern was really just knowing what to do.

Should also mention, your mobile TM may help you. But never expect them to and ask only if absolutely necessary, since they aren't required to. Always thank them if they do assist you, because they can be an absolute lifesaver if you get swarmed.

Ironically the best electronics tm at my old store other than the TL was a girl who didn't even know much about electronics. You get more familiar with time and it's amazing how much reading the back of the box can make you sound like an expert to guest.

Tell them you've never worked electronics but you don't mind being taught. If your store doesn't teach you something, it's not your fault. Spider wrapping depends on the spider wrap. Older ones can be better for some products but the newer ones are nice for smaller things usually. Product knowledge is a google search or a box read away.

Looks like a lot of people already answered but definently recommend do it.

1. Don't hand anything that's locked up to the guest

2. Sell little items with relevant big items (games with consoles, dvds with dvd players, etc)

3. Make friends with mobile. They don't have to help, but they're invaluable if they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back