Archived Electronics TM Hirees?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2nate3

Closing Expert
Hi all. I was just brought on as an Electronics TM and have yet to do my orientation, but I was a bit curious about something. I am 16 and I have no official electronics experience outside of my own personal knowledge and the like. I applied in person and emphasized that I was open to any position, but that I was very interested in electronics. Based upon what I had heard prior, I went in expecting to not get the position. But that brings me to my questions. Is this common? Who is typically hired to fill electronics TM positions?

Last edited:
Hi all. I was just brought on as an Electronics TM and have yet to do my orientation, but I was a bit curious about something. I am 16 and I have no official electronics experience outside of my own personal knowledge and the like. I applied in person and emphasized that I was open to any position, but that I was very interested in electronics. Based upon what I had heard prior, I went in expecting to not get the position. But that brings me to my questions. Is this common? Who is typically hired to fill electronics TM positions?

First off congrats, sweet job for a teenager. I used to work electronics many years ago and write the schedule for it at my store.

Technically you are supposed to be an entertainment expert now for an electronics position but not all stores are using the new interview guide yet. For your second interview did they ask you how you would assist a guest looking for a tv? Did they actually take you out to the floor?

Some stores don't mind a young and trainable electronics tm. You will probably be working mid shifts. In my state minors can't open or close.

The good news is electronics is not difficult to learn. You don't have to know every product but you will need to know how to b.s. it and read the back of a box.

Be prepared electronics tms get a lot of things thrown at them. One second you will be bored chilling with the mobile tm, shortly after you will get a swarm of people who need this and that unlocked.

Work on your sales pitch. Rumor is stores are supposed to performance out or relocate team members who never can sell attachments (ie an hdmi cable with a tv) etc.

Last edited:
First off congrats, sweet job for a teenager. I used to work electronics many years ago and write the schedule for it at my store.

Technically you are supposed to be an entertainment expert now for an electronics position but not all stores are using the new interview guide yet. For your second interview did they ask yku how you would assist a guest looking for a tv? Did they actually take you out to the floor?

Some stores don't mind a young and trainable electronics tm. You will probably be working mid shifts. In my state minors can't open or close.

The good news is electronics is not difficult to learn. You don't have to know every product but you will need to know how to b.s. it and read the back of a box.

Be prepared electronics tms get a lot of things thrown at them. One second you will be bored chilling with the mobile tm, shortly after you will get a swarm of people who need this and that unlocked.

Work on your sales pitch. Rumor is stores are supposed to performance out or relocate team members who never can sell attachments (ie an hdmi cable with a tv) etc.
Thanks a lot! And yeah, they asked me how I would assist a customer looking for a TV and brought me out on the floor to mock sell an item. I guess it's a good thing that I emphasized that I would suggest accessories that the customer could pair with the TV. I do have a broader knowledge of current technology trends than most, so that was probably a factor.

boy am i glad i was just given the electronics job w/o applying for it from cashier

my sales pitch is awful lmao

you did land a pretty sweet position tho grats

Wow, I envy you. I applied to target so much when I was 16 (now I'm 19)

Assuming as a minor you won't be closing either, you'll be doing open or mid shifts. Doing the fun parts (front end caps, guest assistance, projects, etc) or mid shifts (setting up closer for success). Never seen a minor especially only 16 in electronics. I've seen a few sales floor TMs 17ish. Just be willing to talk to people, set the closer up for success and good at reading packaging. You don't need much electronics experience, just the willingness to be geniunely talk to people.

All stores are not the same (ASANTS), but my store rarely hires externally for electronics. We have a list a mile long of TMs that want to work there; granted it helps that our store is located in an area with alot of students.

The biggest advice I can give you is don't stand at the desk. Always be on the move and talk to every guest who steps foot on the carpet. I'll typically ask if they need help finding something, answer their questions if they have any or let them know to find me if they eventually do, and keep heading to my next task. And learn the differences between the Series 1 & 2 Apple Watch, the various consoles, and 1080 vs 4k.

Congratulations 2Nate3. You will do fine.

Word on the street is that we should be hiring minors for Electronics as they are up on all things tech.

Congratulations 2Nate3. You will do fine.

Word on the street is that we should be hiring minors for Electronics as they are up on all things tech.
Funny. I'm damn near 40 and I know more about the wireless cameras/security systems, activity trackers, tablets, streaming devices, TV's, and digital cameras then these new younger folks they hired that just know about video games. I research alot just because I've always been into electronics and for my own buying purposes.

Funny. I'm damn near 40 and I know more about the wireless cameras/security systems, activity trackers, tablets, streaming devices, TV's, and digital cameras then these new younger folks they hired that just know about video games. I research alot just because I've always been into electronics and for my own buying purposes.
It's not reliable to just say, "Oh, a millennial, he must know a lot about electronics." Obviously that's an extreme, but I would definitely say that there's some weeding out that must be done. Sometimes I'm sure you can come across the genuinely electronics inclined and educated minor.

I like to have a broader understanding of electronics/entertainment beyond which Rockstar game has the best graphics haha.

Last edited:
It's not reliable to just say, "Oh, a millennial, he must know a lot about electronics." Obviously that's an extreme, but I would definitely say that there's some weeding out that must be done, but sometimes I'm sure you can come across the genuinely electronics inclined and educated minor.

I like to have a broader understanding of electronics/entertainment beyond which Rockstar game has the best graphics haha.
I don't understand their logic really. I've met many people of all ages that could give shit about electronics and just want it to work when they need it to work. They don't care how or why.

Also congratulations on the job!

It's not reliable to just say, "Oh, a millennial, he must know a lot about electronics." Obviously that's an extreme, but I would definitely say that there's some weeding out that must be done. Sometimes I'm sure you can come across the genuinely electronics inclined and educated minor.

Also I was talking about younger folks they just hired at my store btw.

I don't understand their logic really. I've met many people of all ages that could give shit about electronics and just want it to work when they need it to work. They don't care how or why.

Also congratulations on the job!
Oh yeah, I totally agree. The stereotype doesn't carry amongst kids as much as adults think it does. And thanks lots!

The position is a Salesfloor TM with basic electronics knowledge. Can you identify a USB from HDMI / RCA cables was the only necessary knowledge when I worked Electroncis

Basically this a Hardline position for the holder of Electronic keys. You have to be within earshot of the electronics desk if the GA button goes off.

I never got any info or updates on products unless a TL reported them in the huddles. So I never knew any street dates or anything. I just read what was on the display or provided my personal experience, and pushed accessories. . I wasn't going to research products off the clock.

When I first took opening Electronics shift, no one told me I was the only TM on hardlines.

Last edited:
The position is a Salesfloor TM with basic electronics knowledge

Eh a lot has changed since you worked here. It's not a salesfloor tm anymore, they are not even supposed to leave the boat anymore and if they don't have electronics knowledge they don't pass the interview.

im literally hardlines with keys nothing changed at my store
Same yo, if there's no pulls LOD makes us work HL pulls instead of scanning, zoning, etc.

Last edited:
Same yo, if there's no pulls kid makes us work HL pulls instead of scanning, zoning, etc.

Interesting, ever since end to end ours don't even go into seasonal or luggage anymore. They don't leave electronics at all.

Interesting, ever since end to end ours don't even go into seasonal or luggage anymore. They don't leave electronics at all.
I don't think my store has adopted much of E2E honestly. Everything has been more or less the same.

same here, the new tl for electronics came in and was pretty upset we're still doing shit around the store

hopefully he can do something abt it pls dont make me work seasonal bts i will die

Ours don't leave electronics but they also don't research or do anything productive most of the time. Unless you count talking to Target mobile and drinking Starbucks as being productive. Ay!

I research/zone/push/set/backstock entertainment but refuse to carry the electronics team on my back any longer. My team lead doesn't lead. And end to end is just words at my store. Oh well!

I run Electronics, notions, sporting goods and toys, and occasionally automotive (but that's hardly even a section). I'm never at the boat unless I'm ringing up a big ticket item, or random people who are too lazy to walk 30 or so feet to self-checkout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back