Archived Employee Ride home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onpoint1126

Your mood should not dictate your manners.
I have a question in regards to a situation my coworker is experiencing. Looking for information about policy and advice.

Upon being hired, my coworker made it clear to her HR lead that she does not drive and would be able to get rides to work but may need to ask for rides home from willing individuals. This has not been an issue for over a year.

My coworker asks or is offered a ride from coworkers and always says it’s okay to say no, that it’s no big deal.

Recently my coworker was told by her supervisor that an email came through from corporate that there is a policy stated in the handbook that employees cannot ask other employees for a ride home. But they can accept a ride if it’s offered.

Upon looking into it, the handbook doesn’t state this explicitly.

So what is going on here?
Is this a new issue or is this stemming from a complaint from someone who was asked for a ride and said no?

I was sympathetic and stated that I don’t mind giving rides and offering them but how will this coworker get rides when I’m not working on the same shifts? They can’t ask, apparently.

Do they state overtly:
“I am not allowed to ask but you allowed to offer a ride home that I need tonight” to each potential ride home?

She will be meeting with the HR lead to discuss the issue but I wanted to give support/advice on what she should do/say.

TIA.

I have a question in regards to a situation my coworker is experiencing. Looking for information about policy and advice.

Upon being hired, my coworker made it clear to her HR lead that she does not drive and would be able to get rides to work but may need to ask for rides home from willing individuals. This has not been an issue for over a year.

My coworker asks or is offered a ride from coworkers and always says it’s okay to say no, that it’s no big deal.

Recently my coworker was told by her supervisor that an email came through from corporate that there is a policy stated in the handbook that employees cannot ask other employees for a ride home. But they can accept a ride if it’s offered.

Upon looking into it, the handbook doesn’t state this explicitly.

So what is going on here?
Is this a new issue or is this stemming from a complaint from someone who was asked for a ride and said no?

I was sympathetic and stated that I don’t mind giving rides and offering them but how will this coworker get rides when I’m not working on the same shifts? They can’t ask, apparently.

Do they state overtly:
“I am not allowed to ask but you allowed to offer a ride home that I need tonight” to each potential ride home?

She will be meeting with the HR lead to discuss the issue but I wanted to give support/advice on what she should do/say.

TIA.
Honestly they probably asked the wrong person one time who reported to HR that they don’t want to be asked. Probably just someone overreacting and management is just responding

Honestly they probably asked the wrong person one time who reported to HR that they don’t want to be asked. Probably just someone overreacting and management is just responding

^This exactly. Personally, I think it's rude of her to do this every single time she works. She should probably consider alternative means of travel rather than heavily rely on the store.

I know this kid who is 18 (I’m 20) who was a seasonal and worked with me a lot in a Electronics. He ALWAYS always me out in my zone constantly, and found out he always walks home. Found he is on the way home and always offer a ride. If your someone who will still walk home, or make the attempt to I won’t mind helping. But if you expect rides forever after one ride, nope

One time I drove this mom and her daughter 30 min home after close because I felt extra nice. She expected me to give her daughter a ride home constantly when one of them closed.

Have a co worker who does the same one ride home and they expect it every time you work. My dad picks me up and is super nice so gives in. I got fed up with it and told her I cant keep doing it and she needs to find and alternative. My dad isnt a taxi and she never once offered gas money. I pay him gas money and buy him food on the way so he doesnt mind. Eventually my broke ass will buy a decent bike lol but seriously if you took the job knowing you need a ride adjust your availability to take the bus or something.

TMs are responsible for getting themselves home. If TMs have made arrangements with other TMs outside of work to get home. Fine.

TMs should not be asking for a ride while on the clock.

I can definitely see this rubbing some people the wrong way. I’ve been offered rides when I was having car issues and unable to drive myself, I’ve given rides, and seen other team members give rides home. Personally, I’ve never taken a ride home with someone else, but I usually make my ride plans in advance if I can’t take myself or if it’s light out I’ll walk.

Does this person ask people they are friendly with or is it just going up to a pretty much random coworker and asking? Because I would find myself probably unable to say no or feeling really bad if I did. Certain people in the store while nice I just wouldn’t feel comfortable driving home. I definitely wouldn’t have complained to Hr, but I can see how someone could have issue.

A bunch of coworkers and I live in the same neighborhood like walking distance from each other so a lot of them have offered to give me rides before but I’ve never actually gotten one. However if someone told me I couldn’t ask I literally would not listen to that at all lol it’s not that serious

TMs are responsible for getting themselves home. If TMs have made arrangements with other TMs outside of work to get home. Fine.

TMs should not be asking for a ride while on the clock.
If they ask me I'd charge them. So go figure.

She needs to use the method of getting around like she used before she came to Target.
This. We have one TM who begs rides off of everybody, and has even been caught begging guests for rides. It's awkward and unprofessional.

I get the struggle. I study public transit because I think America's lack of infrastructure isn't okay. I don't have a driver's license, might never be allowed to get one, and live in a place where buses don't run after 7 or on Sundays. Yet I'm not out there begging rides off of coworkers. I figure it out myself. Usually I bike. Sometimes I have to walk over an hour home or pay for an Uber. It's not great, but figuring this stuff out is part of professionalism.

How does she get home if everyone says no? That’s crazy to not plan something like that out in advance.

Last I checked, corporate does not randomly send out emails that feature excerpts from the handbook. Probably someone complained about being made uncomfortable.

I offer rides home to people that I know live far because it’s a big city here. Heck, our TL offered a SLTM a ride home the other day because she lives in another city and her ride was going to be super late to pick her up. She said no, but I hate seeing people walk home, especially late at night. I can’t imagine not having a car to drive. Even when my car is out of service, my mom has me borrow one of her vehicles. I’m lucky that way.

I give rides to anybody who lives in town. I would be willing to give rides out of town for gas money except that I don't like driving into the dense traffic of downtown [REDACTED] with its crazy drivers, population 160K. Did it once and almost got hit so nope.

I can understand trying to get by without a car. I was a hardcore ride bummer back when I first started working. I've never heard of asking for rides being an issue at my store though.

I’ve given rides home... either because I offered or because I was asked occasionally. This was 3 Team Members in total. But I gave each rides several times. In all 3 cases, they Uber as a usual mode of transportation and are probably within 3-5 miles of the store. No one ever expected me to be their ride.

I’ve never felt pressured to be someone’s ride. And if I did feel pressured, I wouldn’t like it. Maybe be brave enough to complain. But likely I’d just seethe with resentment.

I think it’s pretty ballsy of the T M to expect a ride home every shift.

There is a transportation cost to everyone with a job. Sometimes it’s the cost of a bus pass, sometimes it’s the cost of owning/driving a car, sometimes it’s the cost of UBER, sometimes it’s the cost of walking an hour. Either way, we all have transportation costs. And as adults, it’s up to us, not our employer, to make sure we have a way to and from work.

So I get peeved at a co worker thinking they should have Zero transportation costs. No walking? No bus? No Uber? No gas money?

I’d rather Uber than have a coworker give me a ride for some reason, i wonder how much money I’ve spent just to go to work lol

I've given TMs rides home & I've gone to pick up TMs when we had to call someone in who didn't have transportation.
During my years closing in the front end I sometimes rounded up 2-3 kids who were going to have to wait an hour or more so I'd ferry 'em home.
I've never been pressured to give someone a ride & I considered myself lucky enough to have a car to be able to give occasional rides.

Maybe Team Members got tired of being asked or felt obligated to give the TM a ride home. Maybe that TM just assumed that people will give her a ride all the time and didn't offer to pay for gas. I have a cashier that doesn't drive yet and she lives on my way home. When I am closing with her, I offer to take her home. Most of the time, she has a ride figured out but there were a couple of times where she was really thankful for not having to walk home 40 minutes in the dark.

I used to ask for rides home before I had a car and license (cause my parents didn’t like coming to get me when the store closed and I’d have to cross a 6 lane road at night as a small young woman before walking several miles) , but only from people I knew lived near me, and I always offered them food, gift cards, and/or gas money in exchange. I also would check with them before a shift to make sure it was okay, not while on the clock, that way I could have backup plans if need be. Now, if I know someone’s car is outta comission or I see them walking I offer them rides because I’ve been in that position and know most people feel awkward asking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back