MEGATHREAD End to End team PILOT

The business side of me loves all these changes, most seem to be a more efficient process, but the people side of me thinks it's sad that people will those hours.(perhaps myself included) Yeah, yeah, yeah cross train, pick up shifts blah blah blah there are only so many hours to be shared.
(I really am excited about these changes!)

Actually I have been trying to research more on the topic. It appears they are switching their Presentation Min and OTL system as well. Instead of having such a large margin between the two, they are reducing them and switching the replenishment system to an eaches model instead of cases. Basically, you won't have a "2400" piece truck because they do not want to ship you cases unless necessary for the store's demand. The amount of "cases" will be irrelevant and each trailer will contain far more SKUs than previous trailers.

In simple terms, they are scrapping the old system. If 1 item sells, then it triggers to order 1. The DC is being remodeled and cases will be broken down. Repacks will still be used for some GM areas, but in areas like grocery they will have baskets sorted down to sections within an aisle. If you sold 5 cans of a certain soup, 5 of those will be placed in the soup basket for your store and shipped on the soup aisle cart. I am assuming it will also take projected sales for each SKU into account to reduce trips (so the shelf fits 12, you sell 4 a day. You currently have 9, so it will ship 7 knowing it takes 24 hours to get there).

So the DC is now filling our Store's Flexible Fulfillments, while we fill the Guests Flexible Fulfillments.

cross train, pick up shifts blah blah blah there are only so many hours to be shared.

YES! I've been with Spot 2 1/2 years now, and I've always picked up shifts wherever, but can't even do that anymore. There was always the chance to pick up a couple cashier hours, market, plano to help with a transition, whatever. Now, NOTHING. I'm trained in almost everything. My ETL-HR goes "cross train." I was like where? There's nothing I either a) don't know already or b) am not willing to learn.

So the DC is now filling our Store's Flexible Fulfillments, while we fill the Guests Flexible Fulfillments.

Yes I think this is similar to Amazon in the sense that they use lots of loose eaches over cases. I read somewhere that this model helps to fulfill orders quicker. I think the reasoning behind this is that your online order will never be in bulk really, so you need to be able to quickly get to the individual item. When your product is in cases (or requires cases) for most of the supply chain, you run into problems of either not being able to fulfill the item right away or slow the item down on its way to the stores. At least that is what I gathered.

YES! I've been with Spot 2 1/2 years now, and I've always picked up shifts wherever, but can't even do that anymore. There was always the chance to pick up a couple cashier hours, market, plano to help with a transition, whatever. Now, NOTHING. I'm trained in almost everything. My ETL-HR goes "cross train." I was like where? There's nothing I either a) don't know already or b) am not willing to learn.
I've found that TMs at my store are becoming department cliques, at least when it comes to giving up shifts. The shifts either never hit the swap shift board (the TMs go to the TL and the TL goes in and changes the ownership of the shift) or they're claimed before they're written on it (the two TMs go into the TMSC together and one writes it on the board and the other writes themselves in immediately). Add that to the fact that most TMs are working lots of days but short shifts and it's almost impossible to find a shift you can pick up.

I've found that TMs at my store are becoming department cliques, at least when it comes to giving up shifts. The shifts either never hit the swap shift board (the TMs go to the TL and the TL goes in and changes the ownership of the shift) or they're claimed before they're written on it (the two TMs go into the TMSC together and one writes it on the board and the other writes themselves in immediately). Add that to the fact that most TMs are working lots of days but short shifts and it's almost impossible to find a shift you can pick up.

Hmm. I think it depends what area the shift is for. For softlines, we discuss swaps amongst ourselves because there are only two tms I can think of who are not softlines who will pick up shifts in our work center. No one else would be interested. Other areas I work in, the shifts can go up but no one is trained for them. I do pricing pretty often these days, which only 5 tms total are trained in, so that is also discussed amongst ourselves. Same with SFS when I used to do that a lot. On the other hand, I think for cashier or hardlines shifts which more people are willing to take on, those will go up on the swap board for people to take. Yeah the short shifts make it tough, but so does having a lot of tms who will only work days and for some, only weekdays. I'm willing to take closing and weekends so most of the time I make out ok.

Hmm. I think it depends what area the shift is for. For softlines, we discuss swaps amongst ourselves because there are only two tms I can think of who are not softlines who will pick up shifts in our work center. No one else would be interested. Other areas I work in, the shifts can go up but no one is trained for them. I do pricing pretty often these days, which only 5 tms total are trained in, so that is also discussed amongst ourselves. Same with SFS when I used to do that a lot. On the other hand, I think for cashier or hardlines shifts which more people are willing to take on, those will go up on the swap board for people to take. Yeah the short shifts make it tough, but so does having a lot of tms who will only work days and for some, only weekdays. I'm willing to take closing and weekends so most of the time I make out ok.
The sad thing is, it's been happening with cashiering shifts, which almost anybody can pick up. There are specific TMs that the cashiers go to now, because those TMs are willing to take almost any cashiering shift. When the answer to "I can't pay my bills!" is "Go check the swap shift board," it's really unfair. We're losing TMs because of it, since they're applying to Wal-Mart, which is somehow guaranteeing 40 hours a week (probably because there are a couple new stores within an hour drive of where our Target is). Newer TMs who are hard workers are leaving whereas the lazy ones are sticking around, if they make it past their 90 days.

The sad thing is, it's been happening with cashiering shifts, which almost anybody can pick up. There are specific TMs that the cashiers go to now, because those TMs are willing to take almost any cashiering shift. When the answer to "I can't pay my bills!" is "Go check the swap shift board," it's really unfair. We're losing TMs because of it, since they're applying to Wal-Mart, which is somehow guaranteeing 40 hours a week (probably because there are a couple new stores within an hour drive of where our Target is). Newer TMs who are hard workers are leaving whereas the lazy ones are sticking around, if they make it past their 90 days.

Sometimes I feel bad about taking shifts outside of my workcenter because I feel like other folks who aren't as global as I am won't have a chance to pick up shifts. I've never been scheduled in hardlines, but I have a couple shifts there this week and next. A regular HL tm was upset when he heard me talking about it, but shut up right away when he found out they're weekend closing shifts lol.

Walmart is guaranteeing 40 hours? I think its time to go apply there. I have three that are within 10-15 minutes of me. We also have a local upscale grocery store right near our store that's also taking people away.

[QUOTE="Doglover89,

Walmart is guaranteeing 40 hours? I think its time to go apply there. I have three that are within 10-15 minutes of me. We also have a local upscale grocery store right near our store that's also taking people away.[/QUOTE]

If they are opening a new store hours, as with any retailer, will be unlimited. Once the grand opening hoopla is done the hours will get cut.

Yes I think this is similar to Amazon in the sense that they use lots of loose eaches over cases. I read somewhere that this model helps to fulfill orders quicker. I think the reasoning behind this is that your online order will never be in bulk really, so you need to be able to quickly get to the individual item. When your product is in cases (or requires cases) for most of the supply chain, you run into problems of either not being able to fulfill the item right away or slow the item down on its way to the stores. At least that is what I gathered.

The Problem with loose eaches is (especially with Amazon) is that they must be repackaged once again and safely, to be shipped.

I think it would be easy to argue that this would negate anytime. From what I have heard about Amazon, and how they are so successful, is that they have an otherwordly Logistical approach to how they keep and sort their items. I believe it is an actual algorythm they keep closely guarded (like Coke and their recipe).

You do not have 40+ TLs...

With end-to-end, everyone is responsible for shooting outs in their own areas. So whomever flexes will be the one to also do instocks in that area.

Walmart got rid of zone managers a few years ago.

I think it's more likely that the TM just saw the scanned freight on the back side of the line for the first time, and didn't know what it was from. It seems way too early for palletized freight to be coming in and it makes no sense for them to only send backstock like that. Plus, what might have been backstock when the truck was loaded could be needed on the salesfloor by the time they unload it at the store.

You are right I meant TM not TL

I heard our STL had given both ON ETLs the "no backstock, push all" policy. I know he's challenging them (they're new) but how much do I hate that rule. I've seen merch hidden behind merch, flexed, overpush... everything. It's to the point that one of the ETLs would put down a good endcap (or anywhere), leave what was used to be there and place on the endcap what came in the truck. I once came to work to find almost all the patio furniture have a lot of pillows. I would often have something that was overpush or flexed and needed to be backstock. If it's a TRUE backstock, then backstock it please.

Yes, my favorite is the random pillowfort items appearing on the display of Pillowfort tent endcap. That and all the pillows on the patio furniture. We also have place settings, lights and even a grill one time.

The grocery store I worked at previously had no such thing as "backstock" in the sense nothing was located in the back. I know sounds like a nightmare. But it worked for the most part. Trucks came palletized and pretty much everything went out. Anything that didn't go out sat in designated areas in the dock area. Department heads (TLs) would own their areas and made sure stuff in the back went out on a daily basis. The overnight team consisted of about 5-6 guys who would push most of the truck freight and zone the entire store as they went. During the day workers in their respective departments would push their freight while helping customers.

The difference is most of the people were paid pretty well, had full time hours, and took responsibility of their areas because they cared about their job. Target will struggle finding that same dedication from employees who have no vested interest in the company based on the hours and pay offered.

Sounds similar to the grocery company I worked for. Only they technically had a dry backroom area. Freight for anything else was in its freezer or cooler.

:eek:

-
OTL?
Presentation Minimum? - minimum amount needed to maintain the presentation?

-
so the DC is going to start shipping individual units of items normally shipped by the case? items all over the store?

:eek:

a new pick label? or NO pick label? What about breakables?

*pictures our average flow team member shoving shit everywhere due to NO pick label* - even worse than now.

*pictures stuff getting smashed more often than it currently does*

Yeah That kinda spooks me because cases are kinda needed.

Yes.... they have carts that look very much like vendor racks with shelves. For Grocery, each rack aligns to a portion of an aisle and each shelf aligns to a section within that designated portion. In high volume stores/departments, they even have baskets on each shelf that aligns to each shelf within that 4 foot section. They ship eaches of product but do so more often. Only if a case is required will it be sent.

Some areas with larger items will be palletized freight. Bedding which is a case of 1-2 for example will be shipped by cases obviously.

Yeah, that is going to be somewhere between good and OMG FML what did I do to deserve this., leaning toward the second if the truck makes sharp turns etc. Some cases are needed.

Wow less cardboard and no need for 1 TM on the overnight to run the bailer for 8 hours.

Now send me 2 heads of lettuce and 3 hot house tomatoes please
Is he/she an old person who really can't do much else but has been with the store for 18 yrs?

The Problem with loose eaches is (especially with Amazon) is that they must be repackaged once again and safely, to be shipped.

I think it would be easy to argue that this would negate anytime. From what I have heard about Amazon, and how they are so successful, is that they have an otherwordly Logistical approach to how they keep and sort their items. I believe it is an actual algorythm they keep closely guarded (like Coke and their recipe).

I watched this a few years ago and they way they store items stood out to me then and I didn't work at Target. I'm not sure it would work for our backrooms, but it's interesting to see how they do it all. :)

From what I understood from the time I worked in Amazon, that is one of their large fulfillment warehouse, where they unpack cases, store the products and when an order came in, they are picked, packed and sent to smaller fulfillment centers. In these smaller fulfillment center (I worked in one), we sorted through the packages, label them accdg to their routes and the drivers (who are in their assigned place along the conveyor belt) would pick up their assigned packages. The sorting is timed ideally 30 minutes. With loading, the drivers are out by 5 (their start time for delivery) and must be back before 9. If we applied this to Target, their large fulfillment warehouse would be like our DC and their smaller fulfillment centers would be the stores. Again, I believe their strong asset is their software or maybe as BigEyedFish said, on their logistic process.

On paper, and as Rock Lobster has outlined and explained it, I could see End to End for the whole store working.

However, my feeling is that every step along the way from buyers, to shippers, to DCs, to finally, the stores, would have to perform incredibly close to perfectly.

If one of those areas doesn't do their job right the first time, you are going to have some outs in the store. If more than one area don't do their job right the first time, you will have even more outs in the store. And, I do mean the entire store, not just the sales floor.

It comes down to flawless execution every single day.

Now, ask yourself, when was the last time Target executed a big initiative flawlessly? Or, better yet, how long did it take them to make it nearly flawless?

On paper, and as Rock Lobster has outlined and explained it, I could see End to End for the whole store working.

However, my feeling is that every step along the way from buyers, to shippers, to DCs, to finally, the stores, would have to perform incredibly close to perfectly.

If one of those areas doesn't do their job right the first time, you are going to have some outs in the store. If more than one area don't do their job right the first time, you will have even more outs in the store. And, I do mean the entire store, not just the sales floor.

It comes down to flawless execution every single day.

Now, ask yourself, when was the last time Target executed a big initiative flawlessly? Or, better yet, how long did it take them to make it nearly flawless?

Yes, in general this is correct. I will say that the new system actually will lower the margin of error over the current system. The big change here, and what many people may overlook, is the eaches replenishment model. Because we are currently on the cases model, the amount within the case is generally going to be how large the margin of error is going to be. Because something may come with 24 cans in a case, it will currently automatically wait until it is worth the +24 OH in the store to ship. Sometimes this means getting dangerously close to out of stock. If the triggers were set higher (and therefore shipped earlier) throughout the company, you would be allocating too much inventory to stores and causing higher markdown and defective rates (and overall forcing the company to own more product at any given time). Its a dangerous game.

What the eaches model allows is to no longer play this game. You create a steady stream of merchandise to stores and have them trigger replenishment right away no matter what, set to fill the floor to 100% without ever going over.

If I had to guess, this was in response to negotiations with our suppliers. We attempted to achieve efficiency through another method, which was to talk to vendors about changing their packaging to align with our in-store capacities (hey you send us cases of 48 but all our stores only fit 24 on the shelf, so please reduce) and/or getting our merchandising teams to try and match our capacities to the amount within cases... I am guessing this did not go as planned. If it was possible, a larger retailer such as Walmart would have played hardball with their suppliers already and forced them to match them...

Last edited:

I watched this a few years ago and they way they store items stood out to me then and I didn't work at Target. I'm not sure it would work for our backrooms, but it's interesting to see how they do it all. :)

Can we get those dividers for the fixture room and light duty? Sap doesn't carry anything like it...

Back