MEGATHREAD End to End team PILOT

At our store, we are currently doing a 3 person unload. The merch from the DC is coming to us the same way it always has (when we had a 10 or so person unload), so depending on the truck size, it has been taking us between 4 and 6 hours to unload. It has come to my attention that TM's are supposed to come in at the 2 hour mark to relieve the unloaders, but this is not always happening, with some folks being on the unload for the entire unload without a break. We have had unloads end right before the 6 hour mark and we have had throwers (which in this case is 1 TM throwing) in the truck for 4 hours straight with no break, and those on the line have gone up to just a few moments from compliance without one. There are also TM's scheduled for 5 hour shifts, that end up working over because the unload is not finished. What do you. all think about what the expectations should be concerning taking breaks during the unload when there is no TM to relieve? Should the unloaders just stop the unload at a certain point and take a 15 and then go back and continue, or what? No one on the unload seems to have gotten any kind of direction from superiors concerning this.

@speedy Where is the TL during the unload? They need to be the one to give people breaks and send in relief unloaders.

We have a 5 person unload right now, which typically takes 2-3 hours (6-7 hours for a double). They take first break when they finish the unload (or after the first trailer if it's a double). The thrower at my store turns down offers to be relived and will stay in there the whole time.

Sometimes the TL will help when the line gets backed up, but does not cover breaks. The TL is mostly on the floor with the hardlines teams stocking and overseeing. Our store rarely takes 2 trucks at a time as we are a smaller volume. As far as throwers, during the last large truck we received (2600), we had a thrower in for 3 hours and was struggling. I found out later, an older female TM came into the backroom from the floor, saw the TM struggling in the trailer and to went in there, sent the thrower on break and threw the truck for awhile. It was definitely not her job, but she saw the thrower struggling and needing to get out of the trailer, so she stopped what she was doing and helped. I think most of our throwers can handle 2 or 3 hours at a time, but not 4 or more without a break. The people working on the line seem to get well, a little angsty after 3 or 4 hours without a break also. But from what I'm hearing there really has been no direction given to the TM's as to what to what to do when the unload goes long. We did use a 5 person unload for a little while and that seemed to last about 2-3 hours and that seemed fine.

I think so, but most of the time there is a male TM throwing and at least one female TM on the line. I think our female TM's could throw but I don't know that the male TM's would like that so much.

At our store, we are currently doing a 3 person unload. The merch from the DC is coming to us the same way it always has (when we had a 10 or so person unload), so depending on the truck size, it has been taking us between 4 and 6 hours to unload. It has come to my attention that TM's are supposed to come in at the 2 hour mark to relieve the unloaders, but this is not always happening, with some folks being on the unload for the entire unload without a break. We have had unloads end right before the 6 hour mark and we have had throwers (which in this case is 1 TM throwing) in the truck for 4 hours straight with no break, and those on the line have gone up to just a few moments from compliance without one. There are also TM's scheduled for 5 hour shifts, that end up working over because the unload is not finished. What do you. all think about what the expectations should be concerning taking breaks during the unload when there is no TM to relieve? Should the unloaders just stop the unload at a certain point and take a 15 and then go back and continue, or what? No one on the unload seems to have gotten any kind of direction from superiors concerning this.

I actually like the idea conceptually of going down to a small unload team in this way, but in practice it is difficult because expectations around the unload has to change for it to work well.

I guarantee that I could get some HS/college aged dudes to do this job if it was 5pm-9pm and that is all they had to do. Most retailers want it to be cartons/payroll hour spent. You really do not want to spend more than 12-15 hours of payroll on the unload itself though, as doing too much would defeat the purpose and mean you are increasing the total payroll being spent on the unload. So you are stuck at 3-4 shifts/trailer. 4 people at 4 hours a piece though wouldn't need to hurry too much and could stop and take their 15s before getting back to it.

How anyone can have one thrower, and call that safe (with the way Target Trucks arrive). Is beyond me. And yes I have thrown the truck multiple times, and one guy is always looking out for the other.

Every company that I have been with required two people to be present at all times when entering a trailer that has unconsolidated/consolidated freight. This included unload and loading when done by hand.

The only time a second person was not required was during load/unload using motor/engine operated equipment. However, the person involved was monitored in case of need/emergency.

I suspect it is also a requirement at Target.

I actually like the idea conceptually of going down to a small unload team in this way, but in practice it is difficult because expectations around the unload has to change for it to work well.

I guarantee that I could get some HS/college aged dudes to do this job if it was 5pm-9pm and that is all they had to do. Most retailers want it to be cartons/payroll hour spent. You really do not want to spend more than 12-15 hours of payroll on the unload itself though, as doing too much would defeat the purpose and mean you are increasing the total payroll being spent on the unload. So you are stuck at 3-4 shifts/trailer. 4 people at 4 hours a piece though wouldn't need to hurry too much and could stop and take their 15s before getting back to it.

Once we get the DC shipments like the ones in the video, you could unload trailer within a half hour with 3-4 team members. This includes delivering it to its final destination. You would need an addition 15 to 30 minutes to take care of exceptions like Transition merchandise once regular merchandise is delivered.

Sure, on paper it makes sense. In reality, things would get worse.

Trucks (and smart huddles and back up cashiering) would take priority.... POG, zoning, Research, pricing, back stocking et. al would all fall behind.

And, now there is a thread on the "I'm Lost" board detailing how a couple of stores are struggling to finish pricing in soft lines, in addition to all of their other tasks....

And, now there is a thread on the "I'm Lost" board detailing how a couple of stores are struggling to finish pricing in soft lines, in addition to all of their other tasks....
I don't think we've come clean on the days workload since e2e started in sl. We run one hl tm and 1-3 sl tm for pricing.

If multiple stores will share one trailer and store number one or two etc run late with their unload- ????

If multiple stores will share one trailer and store number one or two etc run late with their unload- ????
How would they run late? Truck arrives, driver comes into receiving and gives the paperwork to a TL or receiver, then TMs pull the pallets off. Exactly like unloading an FDC trailer, except with more pallets. It shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to unload half a trailer.

How would they run late? Truck arrives, driver comes into receiving and gives the paperwork to a TL or receiver, then TMs pull the pallets off. Exactly like unloading an FDC trailer, except with more pallets. It shouldn't take more than 30 minutes to unload half a trailer.

Really? Call offs now at a single store, can potentially snowball into affecting multiple. Especially since we all know the headcounts for when these pallets arrive will be low.

We still have a lot of loose freight esp in market. God forbid call-outs since most of the experienced throwers are gone. Palletized I see your point.

Really? Call offs now at a single store, can potentially snowball into affecting multiple. Especially since we all know the headcounts for when these pallets arrive will be low.
Really. It literally takes one person...any person...to pull a bunch of pallets off a trailer. Call offs have no effect on delaying the delivery unless it's the opening keyholder who calls off and nobody is in the building when the truck arrives.

If Spot was stupid enough to tell you that they were firing for talking about wages you could make a phone call and have your job back in a couple of days.
The fact is the feds will back that up and you can call any union to help you with it.

The problem is Spot is perfectly aware of that fact and HR is not (well, shouldn't be) that stupid.
You will be performanced out for a bunch of shit that you have no control over and they will have the paperwork to prove it.
Then it you try to fight it, you won't have a leg to stand on.

Sadly, I agree with you. I have seen that you have described as well. Sadly, I think my HR is that stupid. Oh, well. replacement wheel is spinning again.

Don't care if this outs me... we are now turning the supply closet at tsc into the cosmetics stock room. Complete with locking it. Who cares about fff merch or register supplies? Or that it probably still won't all freaking fit.
interesting.
  1. You have that much cosmetics that you need that space?
  2. You don't farm out your cleaning crew?
  3. Where are the waxer and buffer and its stuff going, if you don't mind me asking?
I like the idea, I just dont think it will fly. Right before the change to bulleye's playground, our ETL-SF decided with STL permission to end one spot. The whole area was reset to be a grocery area so people go get grab and goes. It looked beautiful and nice for three weeks it was up. Then GVP came in and threw a fit about it. Yes, DTL knew (old one now since transfered away). Yes DTL had no problem. No we don't have dollar spot items in back, they were clearanced out.

He WAS NOT HAPPY! So it was put back to Dollar sopt on the next truck day that so happen to be a 2500 piece truck because all the dollar spot that was supposed to be there came back again.

So good luck with your use of the closet. Hope you make it further than we did. (we have a hijaacked grocery shelf that is nothing but wacos that have brands on them marked 'Fast movers: do not backstock put here'

Really. It literally takes one person...any person...to pull a bunch of pallets off a trailer. Call offs have no effect on delaying the delivery unless it's the opening keyholder who calls off and nobody is in the building when the truck arrives.
No it really needs people familiar w unload and able to use the equipment safely.

Back