MEGATHREAD End to End team PILOT

My thoughts/impressions on this best practice change, from a backroom/reverse logistics perspective. I've been backroom or receiving for five years in a high volume store, so it's a big change. I give evil looks and stern talkings-to to people who backstock incorrectly, but I still believe that despite the high turn-over most people should be able to learn to backstock correctly. There's not that much to striping wacos and turning boxes so the barcode faces outward. It's tough taking the salesfloor people and giving them the logistics tasks, and vice-versa (I got put on the salesfloor pushing market for eight hours and I could've strangled a guest or two given the opportunity, but conquered the urge). Man, in the end everything will work itself out. It'll be rough for a while, but as long as there is decent leadership things will correct themselves.

My STL, ETLs, and TLs involved in the process are actively pursuing stocking errors on the salesfloor and pulling detail reports to help team members who don't know WTF they are doing in the backstocking game, which is encouraging. It sucks throwing a bunch of people into foreign territory but at least leadership is trying to iron out the kinks. From my point of view, the worst part is going from 8 hours behind the backroom doors to sometimes spending 8 hours on the floor.

PS, if you're new to backstocking...***LEARN TO COMBINE DPCI'S!!*** OMG the mental torment I go through...

Learn your ABCD's, Always Be Combining DPCI's. Jebus fuging christ.

A lot
My thoughts/impressions on this best practice change, from a backroom/reverse logistics perspective. I've been backroom or receiving for five years in a high volume store, so it's a big change. I give evil looks and stern talkings-to to people who backstock incorrectly, but I still believe that despite the high turn-over most people should be able to learn to backstock correctly. There's not that much to striping wacos and turning boxes so the barcode faces outward. It's tough taking the salesfloor people and giving them the logistics tasks, and vice-versa (I got put on the salesfloor pushing market for eight hours and I could've strangled a guest or two given the opportunity, but conquered the urge). Man, in the end everything will work itself out. It'll be rough for a while, but as long as there is decent leadership things will correct themselves.

My STL, ETLs, and TLs involved in the process are actively pursuing stocking errors on the salesfloor and pulling detail reports to help team members who don't know WTF they are doing in the backstocking game, which is encouraging. It sucks throwing a bunch of people into foreign territory but at least leadership is trying to iron out the kinks. From my point of view, the worst part is going from 8 hours behind the backroom doors to sometimes spending 8 hours on the floor.

PS, if you're new to backstocking...***LEARN TO COMBINE DPCI'S!!*** OMG the mental torment I go through...

If TM's were trained adequately and held accountable this shouldn't be a problem.

wait wht does this even mean? like put different barcodes in wacos or?

wait wht does this even mean? like put different barcodes in wacos or?
This is why the backroom is fucked up lol

I've never heard that called combining DPCIs. Combining DPCIs actually does sound like putting multiple things in a single location to me.
Regardless of that stupid, misleading name, I do always put identical items in a location that has them already or near (same letter) as case packs wherever possible. If I have time and I see a bunch of open stock locations with 1s and 2s etc I'll usually pull and rebackstock them together, taking whatever will fill the floor.

I've never heard that called combining DPCIs. Combining DPCIs actually does sound like putting multiple things in a single location to me.
Regardless of that stupid, misleading name, I do always put identical items in a location that has them already or near (same letter) as case packs wherever possible. If I have time and I see a bunch of open stock locations with 1s and 2s etc I'll usually pull and rebackstock them together, taking whatever will fill the floor.
We actually call it consolidating items when we set aside time to do it.

New Backstockers should know at a minimum

Don't backstock open cases
Put the same items in the same waco
don't backstock items of different sizes/colors/flavors in the same waco unless it's the same DPCI
Backstock by fill groups

Out dumb softline tms keep backstocking the same shirts of different sizes in the same waco. Like come on

The big fail from my perspective, which just got pointed out in a few posts above, is lack of training. At my store we have team members who have been backstocking for over a decade, and brand new people who are assigned to (fill in the blank) team and now backstock that merchandise, so we have a lot of "rookie" mistakes going on. Fortunately we have some good leadership who follow up on this daily. I only work weekends, (and my store is nuts), but my experience has been as a Consumables/Salesfloor Team Member now, I either come in, pull all the batches and push them, or I come in, pull every-f'ing-thing, and stage it for peoples to push the next day.

But yes, I feel the big failure right now (from a team-member's perspective) is the lack of leadership. We have a lot of people who don't know who their leader is, don't get regular check-ins with the leader, or don't know the agenda. The restructuring of teams is a little bit of a bump, though I'm sure it'll work itself out.

Under the National Labor Relations Act, enacted in 1935 by Congress, private-sector employees have the right to engage in "concerted activities for the purpose of collective bargaining or other mutual aid or protection." That would include discussing wages.
Only in the realm of unionizing. If you are a union, then yes this would apply to you as the union can exert power on people up the corporate chain who can lean on your management to back down. Try collective bargaining on your own, alone or with a group and you all will be engaging in a unlawful termination lawsuit that you can win, if you have the resources for.

I won an 'unwinnable' unemployment case in OKlahoma because the company who I filed against thought it was so unimportant, they sent their corporate HR person who had never once stepped into the airport I was at. Since the claim was I was being fired because another worker 'claimed' I stole tips by standing in a location that it was physically impossible to see her or passengers from, I asked the HR person if I could see the 'other' person from that vantage point.

When the HR person said 'of could you could' I pointed out that fact about the impossibility by including a statement from the airport manager. (its nice to be able to claim you are a author to get access).

The whole point: You are right. However that doesn't matter crap if you get fired. And you will get fired if you are caught discussing wages where I am. Spot knows this. Its like Eulas (those annoying little piles of text that we have to click through) they are legally unenforceable. Yet no one has ever made it through a lawsuit what actually has cause because when the compay they are suing discovers they can't win, they pay the person off.

I'm not trying to be an asshat here. I am being realistic. There are dozens of practices we all could sue about not just with Spot but other areas. We let them go because the resources to win aren't there. This is one.

We actually call it consolidating items when we set aside time to do it.

New Backstockers should know at a minimum

Don't backstock open cases
Put the same items in the same waco
don't backstock items of different sizes/colors/flavors in the same waco unless it's the same DPCI
Backstock by fill groups

Out dumb softline tms keep backstocking the same shirts of different sizes in the same waco. Like come on

Ok. Here is some of what I do. Mine you this is me and me only.
  1. I don't care if the case is physically open. As long as it is still completely full of the product that arrived in it, its not open.
  2. I agree with this because most people can't be smart enough to detect the subtile differences.
  3. Don't have enough wacos for this. Cat food of different obvious sizes is ok. Must be different brands. Bags can be with other bags as long as its different brands. Key here is inverted zone. Instead of zoning with logo out, zone with upc out.
  4. I normally agree until when our chem set it decide that certain trash bags were suddenly apart of the chem fill group. Nope sorry, Trash bags are backstocked with paper.

Only in the realm of unionizing. If you are a union, then yes this would apply to you as the union can exert power on people up the corporate chain who can lean on your management to back down. Try collective bargaining on your own, alone or with a group and you all will be engaging in a unlawful termination lawsuit that you can win, if you have the resources for.

I won an 'unwinnable' unemployment case in OKlahoma because the company who I filed against thought it was so unimportant, they sent their corporate HR person who had never once stepped into the airport I was at. Since the claim was I was being fired because another worker 'claimed' I stole tips by standing in a location that it was physically impossible to see her or passengers from, I asked the HR person if I could see the 'other' person from that vantage point.

When the HR person said 'of could you could' I pointed out that fact about the impossibility by including a statement from the airport manager. (its nice to be able to claim you are a author to get access).

The whole point: You are right. However that doesn't matter crap if you get fired. And you will get fired if you are caught discussing wages where I am. Spot knows this. Its like Eulas (those annoying little piles of text that we have to click through) they are legally unenforceable. Yet no one has ever made it through a lawsuit what actually has cause because when the compay they are suing discovers they can't win, they pay the person off.

I'm not trying to be an asshat here. I am being realistic. There are dozens of practices we all could sue about not just with Spot but other areas. We let them go because the resources to win aren't there. This is one.

If Spot was stupid enough to tell you that they were firing for talking about wages you could make a phone call and have your job back in a couple of days.
The fact is the feds will back that up and you can call any union to help you with it.

The problem is Spot is perfectly aware of that fact and HR is not (well, shouldn't be) that stupid.
You will be performanced out for a bunch of shit that you have no control over and they will have the paperwork to prove it.
Then it you try to fight it, you won't have a leg to stand on.

Ok. Here is some of what I do. Mine you this is me and me only.
  1. I don't care if the case is physically open. As long as it is still completely full of the product that arrived in it, its not open.
  2. I agree with this because most people can't be smart enough to detect the subtile differences.
  3. Don't have enough wacos for this. Cat food of different obvious sizes is ok. Must be different brands. Bags can be with other bags as long as its different brands. Key here is inverted zone. Instead of zoning with logo out, zone with upc out.
  4. I normally agree until when our chem set it decide that certain trash bags were suddenly apart of the chem fill group. Nope sorry, Trash bags are backstocked with paper.
Almost all, if not all trash bags change to paper. Since our paper and chem asiles are on opposite ends of the backroom we can keep putting them in paper or it'll make the chem batch take longer

At my store they hired a bunch of people and moved a bunch of people from other work centers over to market. When we first started the roll out they were getting plenty of hours each week, but now they seem to only be getting a shift or two a week. Now it seems to always be the after huddle project to push the market stuff from the truck. Grocery almost always has one of the highest amounts of errors in our audit and I've talked to the market TL about tips that could help their team backstock more cleanly but that info doesn't seem to be being passed on or its being ignored by the team.

Talking to one of the TLs in the store, they said that full E2E roll out will take about 2 years in our store. Has anyone else been given a time table?

Don't care if this outs me... we are now turning the supply closet at tsc into the cosmetics stock room. Complete with locking it. Who cares about fff merch or register supplies? Or that it probably still won't all freaking fit.

So we had been doing great in market, but we just jumped to (r200). Because we were throwing additional hours to market , they were able to thrive, but we were told today to schedule market to exactly the allocated hours. No exceptions. This could get ugly.

I think this region wants the pilot to sink or swim rather than succeed simply because we throw hours at it.

Last edited:
So my shift last night, seems they rolled out the softllines portion of this End to End business.Things overnight used to take care of were only instructed to only "Break down" and "Seperate". Seriously, where was all this "support" at years ago
When I used to convey suggestions like this YEARS ago. So someone from corporate got wind and implemented these "Teams", now? Don't mind me, just ranting out loud.:cool:

I have seen "Due to lack of Training" thrown about here for numerous different reasons. I would agree 100%.

I believe the one reason why E2E might fail is the same reason Target failed Canada. The lack of a solid Base.

In other words, they forgot they had to tie their rope down, before they dove off the cliff.

Back