MEGATHREAD End to End team PILOT

Instead of fixing the well pump so it pumps the correct volume, we've installed a hand pump next to it so we can draw enough water for the community. We'll all take turns pumping because we've been told it will solve our water shortage. The reality is that you'll soon grow tired pumping water for someone to wash their car every other day and move on to a community that has a functioning well pump. Eventually the water problem reappears when no one else is left willing to pump enough water while outsiders stay away because your well pump doesn't work.
Spot on. :D

Yes this is one of the many issues that they didn't seem to be think thru. Salesfloor is a lower paygrade than Backroom, Price & Planogram. E2E is going to eventually have team members doing "ideally' all of these processes. I don't know if Target is trying to do this on the cheap by not paying people fairly for the work they are doing. It does however sound (in typical Target fashion) that they are not adequately training people to correctly complete the complex tasks that they are being asked to do. But I'm sure it will all work out.....

Oh & lets add in that they are "expecting more & paying less" at a time when the job market is BOOMING. For a long time it has been an employers market but now it is an EMPLOYEES market and Spot is going to have to adjust or things will keep getting worse for whoever stays on.

Speaking of clearance, I'd like to see it have its own area. Maybe take out the dollar area, which looks like a mess anyway and make it nicer with better merch or a seasonal focal, and then create a few aisles someplace else for all the clearance in the store. Call it Spot's Savings Wonderland or some other shit. Because seeing the random aisles and endcaps all over the store with clearance just looks low end.

OR!! ...just thought of this...when it is due for its first markdown it gets sent to a local Clearance Target warehouse store where all it is is clearance. I'd hate to work there but it would be a huge draw.

One spot is usually a mess but it does sell extremely well. It's not going anywhere.

The target demographic (No pun intended) of soccer mom's goes in there for one thing and leaves with 20 to 25 bucks of knick knacks.

Yes this is one of the many issues that they didn't seem to be think thru. Salesfloor is a lower paygrade than Backroom, Price & Planogram. E2E is going to eventually have team members doing "ideally' all of these processes. I don't know if Target is trying to do this on the cheap

I think eventually salesfloor will get a raise to n07. Don't forget consumables tms used to make minimum wage but with the market rollout they all got a raise to 50 over base.

I found out today that some stores in my district are pausing the full E2E rollout.

They're going to bring back a full backroom team and pretty much double the size of their current flow team. E2E will remain in grocery, softlines, and electronics for now. But they will be giving the rest of hardlines back to the traditional flow team.

I found out today that some stores in my district are pausing the full E2E rollout.

They're going to bring back a full backroom team and pretty much double the size of their current flow team. E2E will remain in grocery, softlines, and electronics for now. But they will be giving the rest of hardlines back to the traditional flow team.
Sounds like my store.

Our store still only has E2E in softlines and cosmetics. And softlines can't get everything done, so we have someone scheduled on the o/n team to break down (detrash, whatever you guys call it) the truck freight. They tried doing it 8, 6 and 4am and they couldn't get it all done...so back to overnights for at least the breakdown. And the backroom *still* does all the pulls for cosmetics and softlines and backstocks softlines.

If your stores are stopping E2E also known as store modernization your doing wrong.
When I was first told about this I was like people you be stupid.
The stores that I have been in supporting for remodel are full E2E. They run very well backroom are good and empty. The team members are happy to show you the work that THEY did.

A few notes
Yes you will have dedicated stockers we're supposed to have that already anyhow.
Your dedicated stockers do their zone, do manuals or Pog fills while waiting on freight. Once they have freight they get that done as well. When they have finished they have pushed freight, done manuals or Pog fill because we no longer pull autos or cafs. They clean up their aiske in back make new endcaps and what not.
Your unload consist of 3 people. One unloaded and two on the line. I know your thinking that's crazy. I thought the same thing. But the ideal is your working clean. Your dedicated people come get the full flat when full. They get rid of their own trash. No more trash guy needed.
Research. Stop the research. Let the dedicated team do their own and only if empty. They know the area better what they have in back. With this your instocks team goes away. Rigs still have to be done but their is a store in our area testing no rigs. To be honest we key them out 99%of the time anyhow.
Your Pog team is supposed to go away and just help when big sets. But we still have a Pog team we just don't schedule them Pog they are schedule where the work load is be it hardlines or soft lines. Their shift label still says Pog though.
Sales planners they no longer care about them. So your dedicated person has the right todo with each end so as they choose as long as not junkie looking.
Your backroom team will split up into the sales floor the backroom Tl will be a Tl of something else. You shouldn't lose headcount just shifting people around.

@backroomdude

So I can't say for sure how the stores that are pausing E2E did it, but at my store the dedicated stockers don't have time to do anything beyond pushing freight. And most of the time they can't even get that done either.

We had to have the softlines team push domestics carts yesterday because we had 20 of them piled up in the backroom from the past couple of trucks. There's also several pallets of plastics and a pallet of paper that didn't get touched and is going to roll over to today's truck.

I am talking starting the clearance process sooner. Or taking higher markdowns sooner. So the product salvages the week of the reset..... not 1-2 weeks later.

Some sets are late due to the high volume of clearance in the area. thinking Shoes, or Seasonal, or Toys. Why keep around products that aren't selling?

Why not make it easier to make space for products that are in demand (ie Seasonal Lawn and Garden clearance taking up valuable space needed for the BTS reset.)
Personally I think BTS sets far too early. It in my opinion set in late July not early. Also, I don't think BTS space is valuable. Its just a shit load of paper products that people need to 2 weeks before school starts. Really, this should be a permanent part of stationary. But thats my opinion.

Part of the reason it has been paused is the pay issue. You can't have 2 people doing same work for different pay or rather have them at 2 different pay grades.
I gather you haven't seen how the retail market currently works, eh?
People Aren't supposed to know what others are making. So the only way your point (while valid) would become an issue is a breach of confidentiality. Thats a terminable offense.

However, that's not why E2E is pause in some area. Its:
  1. ineffective or incapable etls, dtls or stores with (in my terminology) useless tms
  2. issues with the store that aren't personnel related that make it impossible to move forward.
  3. DC issues that I didn't understand
Mind you I overhead this stuff because people are loud, we seem to get meetings to celebrate that our team is resilient and adaptable (nah they just wanted hours and not be bitched at. We got that so we do what is needed to make everyoen somewhat happy. There are problems. Real problems but nothing that can't be fixed with in a day or two)

From what I understand about 1 its a culture thing. There are Etls who simply don't know how to implement it properly, oversee it or know how to do anything outside of passing business management tests. This causes it to fail. There are tms and TLs who don't want to or can't do the load required because they can't handle people, the work of pushing, pulling, research, pog price change and signage for their area in 6 hour chucks. Then there are the lazy clock punchers.

We all know that there are people who will do the bare minimum regardless of their level in the company. Some are failing up, some are people that need to be fired but aren't being ( i have 2 of these neither are in e2e.) You get a store full, it fails automatically.

If the dedicated stockers can't do anything but push freight then the hours are fucked up and thats an ETL fault. They are (from what I understand) still balancing the overages using log and not front end or other areas.

Dedicated e2e people should (and do in my store which is $23 million ULV non super target) get at least 6 hrs for every day there is a truck. Heaviest areas go first. and it staggers so the last e2e leaves at 9 pm. all flow wthat were moved to e2e went from 15 hrs a week to 28 week and it has stayed. Cuts are going to food avenue, cashiers, offloaders (1 to 2 hrs max) and other non e2e tms. So if you are meeting your stock targets (2 hrs of one person pets or 3 hrs 15 minutes for 2 people for chem or 4 for sl for 5 people) them the remaining time is for backstocking, rigs, pog etc.

if this isn't happening, it will fail. If you fail too long someone above your DTL will appear and this can lead to etls vanishing. That purge I understand is either beginning now or already begun.

However, I can be wrong. One thing I know I am not wrong. E2e Is permanent. Cornell et all and the rest of Target corporate won't roll it back. We are stuck with it good or bad because they believe that this is the way to compete with Amazon. I hope they are right. I really do.

So far my store has the e2e process in beauty, groceries and soft lines ( we are a ulv store). I am not sure how the softlines e2e process is going because I don't have much interaction with them anymore. However, the groceries. Well, lets just say that went to crap real quick. To start with the guys they picked for the grocery team have no sense of urgency what so ever. They come in get there u boats push it backtock it and grab another one. I have seen one guy literally take 20 min to backstock a handful of items. When they do back stock they throw things in the wacos put open bags of candy on upper case pack shelves. They have destroyed the walk in cooler and freezer ( I am glad I don't have to bs it anymore but I took so much pride in it being nice neat and organized). I have been to my srtl who then goes to the ctl and I have seen her point out to them how they are backstocking and how it should be done. However, they don't care. They just throw the stuff up any way they see fit. The beauty team doesn't bs their own truck bs which is fine with me because as a brtm its hours. I have heard out of my own stls mouth that the e2e process is flawed at best. I also have heard that our dtl has even said its not working the way they thought it would .
Both are right. As people elaborated here it was implemented backwards and poorly at that.
However, part of e2e is to point out and discipline those who refuse best practices. If your ETL and STL know the shoddy job they are doing then they should be solving it. If they are not solving it so the BS is getting better then its a problem with them.

I would love to know what your people were told. I posted what mine were told with charts on this forum. Search my posts here and you can get the chart.

Not just shift differential but you tm 'a' doing everything that 'b' is doing but because 'a' is 'style' they were being paid more.
again people aren't supposed to know that. Remmeber that. Also, what will happen is job type pay will end. All TM will get payed a flat rate to start. The rest will be age (work time age) based differences based on merit raises.

If your stores are stopping E2E also known as store modernization your doing wrong.
When I was first told about this I was like people you be stupid.
The stores that I have been in supporting for remodel are full E2E. They run very well backroom are good and empty. The team members are happy to show you the work that THEY did.

A few notes
Yes you will have dedicated stockers we're supposed to have that already anyhow.
Your dedicated stockers do their zone, do manuals or Pog fills while waiting on freight. Once they have freight they get that done as well. When they have finished they have pushed freight, done manuals or Pog fill because we no longer pull autos or cafs. They clean up their aiske in back make new endcaps and what not.
Your unload consist of 3 people. One unloaded and two on the line. I know your thinking that's crazy. I thought the same thing. But the ideal is your working clean. Your dedicated people come get the full flat when full. They get rid of their own trash. No more trash guy needed.
Research. Stop the research. Let the dedicated team do their own and only if empty. They know the area better what they have in back. With this your instocks team goes away. Rigs still have to be done but their is a store in our area testing no rigs. To be honest we key them out 99%of the time anyhow.
Your Pog team is supposed to go away and just help when big sets. But we still have a Pog team we just don't schedule them Pog they are schedule where the work load is be it hardlines or soft lines. Their shift label still says Pog though.
Sales planners they no longer care about them. So your dedicated person has the right todo with each end so as they choose as long as not junkie looking.
Your backroom team will split up into the sales floor the backroom Tl will be a Tl of something else. You shouldn't lose headcount just shifting people around.

I agree. I haven't heard about the sales planners vanishing but I do like it. I have an endcap that is technically a paper endcap but because it never had paper on it and its in a corner I took it to store overflow pet pads. It works nicely.

Personally I think BTS sets far too early. It in my opinion set in late July not early. Also, I don't think BTS space is valuable. Its just a shit load of paper products that people need to 2 weeks before school starts. Really, this should be a permanent part of stationary. But thats my opinion.
If it started late July that would be too late here as school keeps starting earlier and earlier. It's the first week of August here and I won't be surprised if it doesn't eventually end up being at the later part of July.

BTS brings in a key demographic.... people that have kids. Kids need new stuff all the time.... clothes, shoes, backpacks, groceries, school supplies, stuff for their dorm room or first apartment, etc.

So, yes, BTS is valuable.

Back