Archived ETL Pay (expectation vs potential reality)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know all stores, all districts aren’t the same. But in regards to transitioning from hourly to salary; say I make $21/hour, which equates to $43,680 annually working 40 a week. Would it be realistic to expect or negotiate to ask for at least a salary of $54,600 as an ETL Salesfloor (just scaling my current pay to a 50 hour week)?

I’ve been with Target for 8 years. I’m gonna be starting the interviews soon, and I’m just curious since everyone in my district seems to be so secretive about even just ballparking pay.

Your math is weird. But making $54K a year for 50 hour work weeks is less than a $3 raise for you if you're currently at $21 an hour. Ain't bad, that's over 10%. I'm just in the mindset of, if I'm going to work THAT much, it needs to really be worth it. I think you probably want to land at 54, so maybe ask for more, and negotiate down. Of course I have no idea what these ETLs are making, but I really hope they're making at least $60K a year for the shit they put up with.

Is my math weird?

21 x 40hours = 840
840 x 52weeks = 43,680

21 x 50hours = 1,050
1,050 x 52 weeks = 54,060

54k is my rock bottom limit in my head. From what I’ve seen ETLs go through I would like to think they start closer to 60k, but who knows. Being an internal, and not having a degree I’m half expecting to be given an unreasonably low offer and be told how “generous and kind” they are being.

Is my math weird?

21 x 40hours = 840
840 x 52weeks = 43,680

21 x 50hours = 1,050
1,050 x 52 weeks = 54,060

54k is my rock bottom limit in my head. From what I’ve seen ETLs go through I would like to think they start closer to 60k, but who knows. Being an internal, and not having a degree I’m half expecting to be given an unreasonably low offer and be told how “generous and kind” they are being.

Nevermind, I'm retarded. Didn't realize a year was 52 weeks. (was multiplying 4 x 12) Yeah seriously though, maybe start with 60.

Being an internal, and not having a degree I’m half expecting to be given an unreasonably low offer and be told how “generous and kind” they are being.
I would expect this to be the outcome. 🙁 If you get to make the offer first I would aim high and see what their reaction is, in this economy there might be some more wiggle room.

I'd add another math element to your negotiation. If you're looking at your current pay and extrapolating it to working 50 hours a week at the same pay rate, then those additional 10 hours should be OT, so time and a half. So take your $21 x 40hrs x 52weeks that you currently make and add in ($21 x 10hrs x 52weeks)x1.5 and you end up with $60060.

At $54,600, you're making only $19.09 per hour if you look at it this way, with those extra 10 hours being OT. And that's assuming you only work an extra 10 hours per week.

At the end of the year, you're still making about $11k more than you did before, but I can only assume it's a hell of a lot more stress and might not be worth it, depending on your financial situation and how much you want that extra $11k.

I was thinking along the lines of @Xanatos.

Anything under 60K and you really haven't gotten any raise considering the number of hours you'll be expected to put in. You could use that argument when negotiating salary. Also, keep in mind:. depending when you actually get the job (assuming you do), you probably won't get any raise for over a year. That could potentially be TWO Q4 at your negotiated starting salary.

Another talking point for salary negotiations, you are a known commodity. They know how good/hard you work or they wouldn't be considering you. And, you know the lingo, how things run... light years ahead of a fresh out of business college chemistry major!

Do ETLs get bonuses aswell, if so about how much a year? @LearningTree ?

Edit:- also what about gas/commuter benefits? eTLs have a Target business credit card aswell, what can that be used for?

From another thread:
You are looking at about 50-55K starting wage. You get a yearly annual metric increase in March that is anywhere between 1-4% on average. Your bonus is also about 1-4% of your yearly salary.

Now, that is not where our raises come from at all. I couldn't care less about the yearly review because it is hardly worth mentioning (its just nice it stacks with the other increase we have available). What got added is that a few times a year your STL and DTL can submit you for a pay increase off cycle from your yearly review, and these are worth WAY more than your review. There is no actual limit to the amount of these you can receive and your STL can continue to submit you depending on your performance.

These range from 5-15% increases on average. It depends on your results and your pay in comparison to your peers in general. For example, you might take over ETL-HR at a store as your second position and 6 months in you are killing it. Your STL and DTL can pull your pay compared to the other ETL-HRs in the district and they see that they are all paid much more than you (common since most older ETLs do that role). They submit you for a pay increase since you are performing as well or better than most of them.

This is how you make money at Target though. That 55 can become 65 pretty quickly, and then 6 months later you could go up to 75. Its completely up to you and your performance.
Thanks
@Rock Lobster

^Meanwhile for normal TMs, minimum will always negate your raise, hence stopping you from ever getting ahead.
Kristen-Bell-Laughing-to-Crying.gif

At the risk of turning this into /r/personalfinance, if you get the promotion, don't significantly alter your lifestyle if you want to actually realize that extra money. Don't buy a new car, don't move to an expensive place, don't go out all the time. Otherwise you'll still feel like you're only making 43k a year. Divert some into a savings account via an automatic payroll deduction (try Ally Online, they have almost a 2% interest rate). Also get a retirement strategy rolling if you haven't already done so, contribute to Target's 401k up to their maximum match!

At the risk of turning this into /r/personalfinance, if you get the promotion, don't significantly alter your lifestyle if you want to actually realize that extra money. Don't buy a new car, don't move to an expensive place, don't go out all the time. Otherwise you'll still feel like you're only making 43k a year. Divert some into a savings account via an automatic payroll deduction (try Ally Online, they have almost a 2% interest rate). Also get a retirement strategy rolling if you haven't already done so, contribute to Target's 401k up to their maximum match!
Maybe not /r/personalfinance but we can do /r/wallstreetbets

Take all of your new income and yolo it all on $90 MU 10/26 calls for those ez gains

No ETL that I've ever met lived like a baller. They drive basic cars, live in condos, and obviously student loans. Yes, they can afford food. Yes, they can afford clothes. May even go out and drink but that's it.

No ETL that I've ever met lived like a baller. They drive basic cars, live in condos, and obviously student loans. Yes, they can afford food. Yes, they can afford clothes. May even go out and drink but that's it.
So in other words , they are financially secure. Thats a admirable.

I get what you’re saying.

I’ve seen way too many NIR ETLs do the whole buy a new car and all that nonsense. Fun fact; I recently actually had to buy a new vehicle because my old one legitimately got totaled while working at my store (it was parked, and some dude legit pulled a U turn and ran into it at appx 50mph). I already have 10% of my pay go straight to savings and all that good stuff, thanks to my wife being an accountant...I definitely have learned budget and all that good stuff.

Last edited:
Another point to add.....is you're probably going to be working weeks that are well over 50 hours. At least near the holidays. I would consider 60K to be your minimum. Of course, you're also going to have to really sell yourself too.

Another point to add.....is you're probably going to be working weeks that are well over 50 hours. At least near the holidays. I would consider 60K to be your minimum. Of course, you're also going to have to really sell yourself too.

Yea..I know that my ETL Salesfloor has for sure pulled way more then the typical 50 hour week. I do feel that asking for 60k is fair, but like you said, I have to really sell myself. And even though I know I’ve done a lot for my store over the years..I suck at talking about myself, which I for sure need to get over much sooner than later.

I would say negotiate. The worst they can do is say no. I negotiated for my pay back before I got my promotion, then negotiated after being read the conditionals of the promotion. I hate going in asking for promotion or a raise, but when I found out I was making the minimum for TL, I marked down why I deserved the raise, how much I taken on since we were down leaders, etc.

I know one ETL who was a SRTL just like myself, no degree. The other ETL I know has been with the company for almost 10 years. Every seasoned ETL I met has splurged on themselves. Coming in with expensive accessories, driving expensive cars - by now you should know where my home is lol. Now these are seasoned ETLs. The newbies on the other hand; roommates, living at home, old cars, brings lunch.

We have an internal that got promoted to ETL. Not sure about their exact details. But if the OP is in my state, thats less than what I make.

Only thing worse than being an ETL, is an underpaid ETL. You have to give so much of yourself to Target. Even the ETLs I've hated over the years, I blame who they are, on the shit Target does to it's employees. I think, "Maybe they wouldn't suck if Target didn't suck."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back