Archived ETL replenishment

Status
Not open for further replies.

trgt5plus

I'm the one who reads the handbook
Anyone have an insite on the position. I have worked dayside for 5 yrs , currently a Sr.TL. The store I would most like be at is overnight.

When my store had an ETL-Replenishment, he dealt more directly with the flow team than the ETL-Logistics.

Anyone else have more info to share?

The ETL-Replenishment is basically the same as an ETL-Logistics in most senses. The difference on paper is that Replenishment is "easier" because it is focused on ONLY the "freight" aspects of the job (flow, br) while Logistics was supposed to be also Presentation, Dayside Backroom, Receiving etc... They later added Salesfloor Ops to most overnight stores who absorbed Dayside Backroom, Receiving, and Instocks.... so basically Logistics has plano directly, Replenishment is the same minus that... Most stores hardly recognize that difference.

I was an ETL-Log and had an ETL-Replen with me. Pretty much had the same responsibilities except when shit was handed down it went through me first. Replenishment's focus was primarily Flow team. Oversee the unload process, make sure the floor is pushed to the piece, and make sure the flow process is efficient. I directly handled the backroom (O/N and dayside), receiving, instocks, and facility maintenance. I was also responsible for the flow team's performance but I handed most of the responsibility to the Replen.

We worked together to make the process efficient. We bounced ideas back and forth and followed through with the changes we both implemented. Now, the store replaced the ETL-Replen position with a Sr.TL. It's still overnight but all of flow is on the ETL-Log.

Follow up question , how is it to work overnight. I know it will be a big transition.

Working overnight is tough. Some people might thrive on an overnight schedule, but we are not made to work overnight. It's exhausting and a completely different schedule than most everyone else in your life. Don't work overnight of you don't have to. Or be prepared to have very little of a social life. Just my two cents. Worked overnight during remodel for 3 months. Worst three months of my life. I actually liked the work though. It just totally screwed up my life outside of work.

make sure you have black out curtains and all your friends know not to contact you during certain times.
You will need more sleep than usual, especially since people will wake you up at the wrong times.
Eating can be complicated too, since your schedule is all off kilter.
You will find that when you can go out with your friends or family that you will be able to party them into the ground because they will start falling asleep long before you do.
It's hell on your family and relationship if you have one.

I worked graveyards for years which meant coming home at the same time my wife left for work.
Not easy for either of us.

I did overnight off and on for years, both with spot and grocery stores. It isn't for everyone. If you have split days off then it doesn't really feel like a day off at all.

Also friends and family that haven't worked overnight never fully understand what your life is like. Hardly anything is open when your off. Normal things like doctors appointments and oil changes can cause you to have to change your whole sleep schedule for a day just to get things done.

While I know some people enjoy working graveyard shift, it's definitely not for everyone. I was single and without kids so that part wasn't difficult for me, but for many it can be.

I did it for 5 years and never fully got used to it. I was tired a lot and had to sacrifice sleep to be with my wife. Then when my son was born getting sleep was tough because he was so active during the day. Your first day off isn't really off because you're coming off a night of work. Do you take a nap, stay awake all day and sleep at night, or do you sleep all day and stay awake at night?

With Target I lost 45lbs from not eating and moving a lot. I also had a 45min drive to work so I felt like I was going to die driving home. My wife said that I was a zombie during my Target phase.

If you can sacrifice sleep the job is easy. But you'll never sleep as well as you would at night. Energy drinks were my go to drink.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back