Archived Ex ETL AMA (ask me anything)

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you want hours, we do have them. Does it mean you have to work split shifts or more than 5 days. Yes. Does that suck. Absolutely.

I'm sorry but that sounds like you're dangling payroll over their heads saying "you want this? You're going to have to do things for us that you're going to hate yourself for". It's almost like Big Tim decided to get a legit job.

I get requiring people to have a fairly open availability. I can't even begin to count the number of applications I turned down from people who want to work 9-5 M-F. However, requiring split shifts and 6+ day workweeks is a sign that either:
1. Your store is staffed by even bigger asshole ETLs than most of us deal with or
2. Your HR hired a ton of people with very limited availability and you're in a bind.

It's not their obligation to provide you with hours. If you don't want to work by their hours find another job. I see people at the computers applying for a job every single day, Target isn't short on people who need a job. They don't owe you stable hours or a set schedule each week. You agreed to work at Target, I promise you they don't care if you walk out. If they cared THAT much if you left you would have been promoted. We live in a world where our labor is cheap and easily replaceable by someone who is probably more qualified.

Retail is crap work. Plain and simple. It's a small step above working in fast food and sweat shops.

Could you elaborate? I don't like working retail, but it isn't nearly as bad as some people make it out to be. Maybe I've just been sippin on the kool aid a little too heavy, but normally those who are unhappy at work are the ones that are the worst workers. Sometimes people are treated unfairly, but most of the time it's people bitching about working at a place THEY applied to.

I'm a bad worker? Staying til 1030pm to pull 19 pallets of price change in the backroom makes me a bad worker or one of the worst ones? I'm confused. I am no saint nor am I Mr. Personality but I always do what I can. If stuff doesn't get done, it doesn't get done. I am only me and I can only do so much.

Some people like working in retail and that's cool for them. I give props to people that actually like working in retail. I wish I could feel that way. I just don't like working in retail. It's not for me. I get no satisfaction or self worth from it. I am just at Target for my own survival right now.

When I said retail is a small step above fast food and sweat shops, I meant it. People don't have respect for retail workers. If you work in retail, people will be like "oh he/she works at so and so". Your value as a human being is less when you work in retail in my opinion. It's sad but true. It shouldn't be like that but it is.

I'm a bad worker? Staying til 1030pm to pull 19 pallets of price change in the backroom makes me a bad worker or one of the worst ones? I'm confused. I am no saint nor am I Mr. Personality but I always do what I can. If stuff doesn't get done, it doesn't get done. I am only me and I can only do so much.

Some people like working in retail and that's cool for them. I give props to people that actually like working in retail. I wish I could feel that way. I just don't like working in retail. It's not for me. I get no satisfaction or self worth from it. I am just at Target for my own survival right now.

When I said retail is a small step above fast food and sweat shops, I meant it. People don't have respect for retail workers. If you work in retail, people will be like "oh he/she works at so and so". Your value as a human being is less when you work in retail in my opinion. It's sad but true. It shouldn't be like that but it is.

I didn't say you were. I don't even know you. I was saying that the ones that I know that are unhappy about the way things are getting done are normally the ones who are poor workers.

If you get no satisfaction from it there is always something else to do. I've quit many jobs due to unhappiness, it just isn't worth it.

If you dont like retail move on. Most people dont move on from retail because thats their only option which is unfortunate.

I didn't say you were. I don't even know you. I was saying that the ones that I know that are unhappy about the way things are getting done are normally the ones who are poor workers.

If you get no satisfaction from it there is always something else to do. I've quit many jobs due to unhappiness, it just isn't worth it.

If you dont like retail move on. Most people dont move on from retail because thats their only option which is unfortunate.

Wow! I work my ass off and I absolutely HATE my job. If I could just up and quit I would, but some of us financially need to find a new job first. To say retail is someone's only option is rude and absurd. I have plenty of other options, including slitting my wrists. If you people enjoy working in retail, well good for you, but ignorance is bliss, therefor you cannot relate to those of us who do not like it but took the job because at the time we were either desperate or did not know how horrible it would be.

Wow! I work my ass off and I absolutely HATE my job. If I could just up and quit I would, but some of us financially need to find a new job first. To say retail is someone's only option is rude and absurd. I have plenty of other options, including slitting my wrists. If you people enjoy working in retail, well good for you, but ignorance is bliss, therefor you cannot relate to those of us who do not like it but took the job because at the time we were either desperate or did not know how horrible it would be.

I can absolutely relate. I've worked jobs that have been just awful, IN MY EYES, when other people would love them. I have worked with animals, cut grass, worked in a hospital basement, worked fast food, worked for a moving company, and have been in the military. I didn't like any of them, and guess what? I got out. Maybe not at the time, but once I realized how miserable I was I made arrangements to be able to quit without a job for at least a month. Nobody is forcing you to stay at Target, and Target doesn't owe you a pleasant work experience, because they have plenty of other options. For every person that leaves there are 3 people that want their position. And these aren't high school kids anymore, these are real people that are looking for careers. Maybe not at Target, but the type of people taking the retail jobs now a days have a little more drive than a seasonal cashier.

If you don't like it, leave. Nobody is forcing you. If your circumstances are really so bad that you HAVE TO WORK at Target work for the unforeseeable future due to family circumstances/death/illness that are out of your control I am sorry. I have never been in that situation and that truly must be tough. Fortunately I only have myself and a significant other and a lot of options.

But if you are single or married and in good health and you are more fortunate than 99% of the entire earth, there is no reason why you can't suck it up for a couple of months (WHILE JOB HUNTING) and save up for 1-1.5 months worth of expenses where you can maybe sit around and let the Target toxins make their way out of your system.

Why aren't team members that work in the same department/area trained equally? I ask that because I work in backroom day and I am trained on operating the baler, wave, and crown. However, there is one team member that who is also in backroom day but is not trained on operating the baler and crown. I have voiced that concern to ETLs before and they have threatened me and started to tell lies about me. They say "this person is scared to use the crown because they are afraid of making a mess" and "it's not the job of the opener in backroom day to know how to makes bales". When I heard that, I just laughed. Why are you working in backroom day or even in the backroom if you can't operate heavy machinery?

I mainly get annoyed by this because this person's laziness and immaturity make my workload bigger. Is this just a policy at Target or are ETLs just lazy and incompetent when it deals with training team members equally and properly? Why should this person get special treatment? Why is the person allowed to do less?
I also see it as a gender thing because I am a male and the team member is a female. This is 2014. I don't care if you have a vagina or penis. If you can physically do something such as operating a crown or the baler, you have no excuse in my opinion. A woman can make a bale just like a male can. If you can do it, do it.

Back to the real thread, not this hijacking bs.

I held my team accountable and if I had ex tm's in here they would fully say that. All my females threw my trucks, all my males threw my trucks. I mean, I had peers that were females and males that didnt like using the crown and I would do it for him bceause safety is first, but i always told them you cant learn if you dont do it over and over.
I think thats something you bring up to HR, not your LOG personally. I mean again its all store based from store to store. You have good ETLs and bad ETLs. Sounds like you have a disengaged one

What typically happens when preparing and during a "visit". All I know is at our store we have to regularly work at like 150 percent with these hour cuts, but when District comes in our ETL's seem to expect 250 percent productivity. Every visit I have ever had at my store, they come in, they seem to ignore all our TM's and just talk to the ETL's and the STL even though you might say hello to just be fast friendly and fun. At least at my store. I was just kind of curious what happens behind the curtains. Thanks for all of the information btw.

I mean it all depends. If it's announced, then definitely we have tons and tons of notes of previous visits of what htey will look for and ask. I mean I memorized answers to questions they were gonna ask before they did and how to answer em right. Were they true? Fuck no, but they bought it. Now I've walked outstanding visits with Gregg and atrocious visits with Bryan Everett. So i've seen both spectrums. At the end of the day, every visit should be truly unannounced and something different looked at in each store so another store can't call and be like OMG my DTL was here, here are our notes. I know every store should help each other but at teh end of the day its an ass kissing competition. I was able to walk great visits and could BS my way out of anything, even if it was 100% called out wrong .

Its just so contradictive of DTLs because yes, they are all like OMG team team team. Preach it. Then when in stores, they don't care about tms or tls. I once walked a visit with our Group VP, led the visit, got amazing positive feedback from it, etc. Literally 2 days later, went for STL round robin interviews and he truly acted as if he was meeting me for the first time. Again, all about drinking the koolaid

I have a life outside of work. If I need to do split shifts to get hours, that's the same as telling me there are no hours available.

It's not the same at all. At any job you work, they have a business to run and set hours to work around. Do you think if you had availibilty from 5p-10p an office would hire you? It's the same case here. Target has a business to run at the end of the day. Plain and simple. There doesn't need to be 40 people there at 8a. There doesn't need to be 40 people at 8p. There does need to be 40 people at 2p.
You think its not hard on managers and STLs to get the most out of a staff that is probably 50% disgruntled throughout all stores? I would surely like to see you try? I mean are you the same person that mocks fast fun and friendly events but never recommends one or participates in huddles?
Do I think everything in Target is great? Fuck no. There are endless flaws, but at the end of the day any business, retail, office, fast food, restaurant, have certain hours and budgets to make. If that means having a workforce only part timers, that 's what it is and what people are going to

You saying you have a life outside of work. Well I am sure 99% of everyone else does too. Do you think ETL's enjoy closing and leaving at 1a and being back in at 5a? Working every other weekend, sometimes a month straight. Coming in on days off to get caught up? No, but they do because its a job. Jobs are not a god given right.

Like I told my team I will always respect you and treat you all fair, but I demand the same respect back. If not, theres the door. I am sure McDonald's across the street is hiring. Go there and come back and tell me how much better it is

if you want hours, we do have them. Does it mean you have to work split shifts or more than 5 days. Yes. Does that suck. Absolutely.

I'm sorry but that sounds like you're dangling payroll over their heads saying "you want this? You're going to have to do things for us that you're going to hate yourself for". It's almost like Big Tim decided to get a legit job.

I get requiring people to have a fairly open availability. I can't even begin to count the number of applications I turned down from people who want to work 9-5 M-F. However, requiring split shifts and 6+ day workweeks is a sign that either:
1. Your store is staffed by even bigger asshole ETLs than most of us deal with or
2. Your HR hired a ton of people with very limited availability and you're in a bind.

I do not think its dangling payroll over a team members head. From my 5 years and interactions with TM's, if they truly wanted hours, they were "there". Yes I am not going to give someone or ask someone to stay or if they want more hours if they call in are late, etc. What respect are they showing me for their job. I was never late. Never called in in 5 years.
Split shifts are going to be how you get 40 hours in retail/ many businesses in the next 10 years. Mark my words. And yes, there have been HR's that have hired people with crazy availabilities. 95% of those people were hired when payroll wasn't an issue. Again, if you aren't willing to change, when business is an ever changing commodity and area, then you can find somewhere else to work. Plain and simple. Target doesn't do things the way they did 1/5/10 years ago. So why should payroll/scheduling be the same?Your name isn't on the front of the building

What advice do you have for any team member or team leader who's trying to continue promoting through target?

I do not think its dangling payroll over a team members head. From my 5 years and interactions with TM's, if they truly wanted hours, they were "there". Yes I am not going to give someone or ask someone to stay or if they want more hours if they call in are late, etc. What respect are they showing me for their job. I was never late. Never called in in 5 years.
Split shifts are going to be how you get 40 hours in retail/ many businesses in the next 10 years. Mark my words. And yes, there have been HR's that have hired people with crazy availabilities. 95% of those people were hired when payroll wasn't an issue. Again, if you aren't willing to change, when business is an ever changing commodity and area, then you can find somewhere else to work. Plain and simple. Target doesn't do things the way they did 1/5/10 years ago. So why should payroll/scheduling be the same?Your name isn't on the front of the building

rarely if ever do I quote things to reiterate on message boards, but quoted for truth.

How familiar is corporate with this website? Has it ever come up in district/regional meetings that you know of?

How familiar is corporate with this website? Has it ever come up in district/regional meetings that you know of?
A lot! Check on workbench, look at the instocks training & sounds very close to our guide.

Last edited:

Give jack a break. He is looking for jobs outside of spot. Please allow him to vent.

Has anything ever come down from corporate, or even suggested at the store level, to get rid of veteran team members? With all of the recent cuts I know a few long time team members who are afraid they are walking on eggshells just because they make at least $2 more an hour than newbies. With payroll being the easiest way to cut $, a store could easily save $50 or more a week per team member they get rid of and replace with a new hire (depending of course on how many hours those TMs work each week and how much more they actually make.)

My question for you is based on what you've seen from the promotions of your fellow ETL peers.. How did it make you feel when you saw an ETL, a couple years fresh out of college, with substantially less amount of experience than you, promote their way into a Sr. ETL, Business Partner, STL role..? In my six years, it clearly seems that the ETL's that get promoted fit the "mold" of what Target is looking for as far as physical appearance, and they happen to network really well. Do you need to have an STL that is willing to bat for you 1000% (assuming THAT stl has weight in the district/with the DTL?) Out of the 100+ ETL roles in a given district, how does the DTL choose the "High Potential" ETL's? I imagine it's a popularity contest among the execs, and results and experience have very little to do with the overall outcome. There's just way too many ETL's with 10+ years of service that get passed up for a NIR etl.. How do these decade+ veterans deal with this? Thanks for your insight! :)

What advice do you have for any team member or team leader who's trying to continue promoting through target?
Run away.
Haha to be honest I was more asking for other people on this forum. I plan on promoting through college (and after if necessary), but once I can use my degree to find a nice HR job god knows I'm probably dipping out.
Spot was good about promoting within before Gregg took over, years ago. I have seen a lot of good folks get performance out due various AE's. The latest thing is to go after folks like who have been with spot for several years & taking their insurance away.
From the other guy site:
http://targetpayandbenefits.blogspot.com

At my store, nobody is happy with the way things are done. We lost a very sizable portion of our experienced personnel when a couple of competitors opened up and our turnover has become a revolving door of people who come in, see how bad it is, and leave as soon as they find another job. Some of them have visited and told us how great it was at the other places which spurred so many people leaving that our STL has actually put people on CA for talking about those competitors because they are "recruiting for our competition" or some BS like that. Hell, I have even had a couple of former Wal-Mart employees say, "And I thought Wal-Mart was bad. I feel so sorry for you guys." after working for us a few weeks.

I did leave. I have a full time job outside of Spot managing a small business. I work at Spot on the weekends now due to other circumstances that forced me to find a second job. Being a former TL and keeping good ties with some Sr TLs and ETLs at my store, going back was a shoe in. I have even turned down going for TL interviews 3 times since I have been back. It just isn't worth it on both a financial and happiness basis and it would kill my liver.

I actually kinda like retail. When I first went to Target in 99, it was almost a dream job for retail workers. While all the grocery stores in my area were paying minimum wage as base pay, Target was starting people at $7 an hour. TL pay was high enough that half of our TL staff were former assistant store managers at various grocery stores around the area. My first TL and ETL were both people I worked for at Albertsons. I even still entertain the idea of owning a small grocery store or something like that. I just don't like the direction Target has taken over the years.

Has anything ever come down from corporate, or even suggested at the store level, to get rid of veteran team members? With all of the recent cuts I know a few long time team members who are afraid they are walking on eggshells just because they make at least $2 more an hour than newbies. With payroll being the easiest way to cut $, a store could easily save $50 or more a week per team member they get rid of and replace with a new hire (depending of course on how many hours those TMs work each week and how much more they actually make.)

No I never had anything or anything like that even discussed. I know like payraises essentially were the way this was done by having everyone be required to be ranked on the stats and green/red numbers and everything. But nah, never had anything like that come down
Plus you don't understand the pain of having a brand new team whether it sf, log,etc. All the training that goes into your strongest people is then lost? Nah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back