Archived Favorite role at Target?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone!
so i've been working at Target for about 10 months now and I was hired as hardlines. Enjoyed it for a while until zoning and doing re-shop was getting boring and the LOD one night asked if i wanted to push CAFs since the closing instocks team member called out that day. I loved not being bothered by anyone and being able to take breaks whenever I wanted and to talk to the backroom guys and work at my own pace and I was able to complete all the CAFs from each 3,4,5,7 and 8:00 dropping and the LOD was impressed and i guess she told the HR manager and other Etls how well i did because every next day i was working I was put on instocks and a few weeks after, I heard the closing instocks team member got fired and I replaced him. A few months after, I was talked to by the store manager i was being promoted and having my role changed from hardlines to instocks which i loved because it was fun, and I also recieved better pay! Also to say that im trained and work as presenation, signing, and starbucks since im also a bartender as well.
So, im curious to see from everyone here--what roles in the store do you prefer, and love? Hardlines, presentation, softlines, signing, instocks, guest service, food avenue, cashier? Lets have fun with this post!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm too new to have a favorite role at the moment (though I'm desperate to cross train). I just wanted to welcome you to the forums and mention you might want to take your store number out of your post. No need to draw attention to yourself from the corporate lurkers.

Hey everyone!
so i've been working at Target for about 10 months now and I was hired as hardlines. Enjoyed it for a while until zoning and doing re-shop was getting boring and the LOD one night asked if i wanted to push CAFs since the closing instocks team member called out that day. I loved not being bothered by anyone and being able to take breaks whenever I wanted and to talk to the backroom guys and work at my own pace and I was able to complete all the CAFs from each 3,4,5,7 and 8:00 dropping and the LOD was impressed and i guess she told the HR manager and other Etls how well i did because every next day i was working I was put on instocks and a few weeks after, I heard the closing instocks team member got fired and I replaced him. A few months after, I was talked to by the store manager i was being promoted and having my role changed from hardlines to instocks which i loved because it was fun, and I also recieved better pay! Also to say that im trained and work as presenation, signing, and starbucks since im also a bartender as well.
So, im curious to see from everyone here--what roles in the store do you prefer, and love? Hardlines, presentation, softlines, signing, instocks, guest service, food avenue, cashier? Lets have fun with this post!!

Hi Anthonyc93 , Im pretty sure youd want to take your store # as mostly everyone here like to remain anonymous.. just a little advice incase you ever say something bad/incriminating against your store.

I'm too new to have a favorite role at the moment (though I'm desperate to cross train). I just wanted to welcome you to the forums and mention you might want to take your store number out of your post. No need to draw attention to yourself from the corporate lurkers.

Too late Spot has added it into "His File" now... just kidding....or am I?

Edited the OP's post. Welcome to the forums, we welcome openness and working for a better understanding of our jobs, but you might do well to not specifically call out where you are from next time.

Trying to hide myself, sounds good. haha. So anyone have a specific preference on a role they enjoy doing??

I haven't had a whole lot of choices yet, having only been trained in cashing and Hardlines, but my favorite thing to do at this point is probably pushing CAFs (except dry market lol). I have somewhat dabbled in Guest Service and I've helped with carts, but I'm considering looking into getting crosstrained in Backroom and Instocks.

I have been with Target for 15 months now and have been cross-trained in almost every area with the exception of early am flow, backroom, and instocks. My favorite roles include Starbucks, (even though its stressful) guest service, and fitting room/operator. I don't mind softlines and hardlines too much. Every other area can pretty much suck face. No offence to the tms who work in the other areas, I just don't like them at all.

I love pushing dry market CAFs just because they take forever to do especially when you have repacks of random crap, which is why i usually save them for last when all the other push is out of the way and i have nothing else to do, haha. And starbucks is nice especially if you're a bartender like me, you get more of an enjoyment out of it (thats how i feel) haha. and how is it being fitting room operator picking up all those annoying calls in the afternoon/evening? hahaha=P

I loved my previous role as Signing/presentation team member. I had the best team/team leader in the building.

That's good that you enjoed signing and presentation. Some people don't like it, but I enjoy it. Probably because I enjoy doing research at 6:30 in the morning and getting out at 3 in the afternoon, haha. which is what i'm doing tomorrow. Also, Cudos to you for becoming instocks team leader!

I have worked in every role except deli and flow.. (more as backup in most of them) and i'd say my favorite is Guest Service and GSTL. My least favorite is HR (our store has the operator there) and Softlines. Our softlines team is not really a team and that's why i hate working over there. Everyone is rude to each other and rude to people who come over to help so i prefer to stay away! Luckily this has become an issue and they are working on correcting it.

I'm trained as cashier, guest service, and cart attendant. Worked part of the day as hardlines and once as a fill in GSA as GSTL. There are ups and downs to all of them. Here are my rankings:

1.) Cart Attendant
Ups - Constant change of scenery because you're everywhere. You get to be outdoors a lot so you're kind of on your own. You can kind of take your breaks when you want without having to worry about someone covering your breaks. You don't generally have any angry people to put up with ever because you don't interact with them much except on the occasional times you find yourself on a register or during a carry out.
Downs - You are kind of an abused pack mule and are expected to be everywhere and can have as many as 3 to 4 tasks all happening at once and I personally am always exhausted at the end of the day. You have a lot of crap to worry about getting done from garbage, to carry outs, to bathroom checks, to carts, to spill clean ups. Although it's nice to get out of the store, it sucks having no choice but to go out and collect carts in extremely bad weather, be it a severe lightning thunderstorm, or in the cold wet winter on a snowy day.

2.) GSTL (Only did this 1 time)
Ups - You can go wherever you want, do whatever you want, and pretty much talk to whoever you want.
Downs - Getting yelled at by guests that are angry sucks, some people are just downright rude and viscous.

3.) Guest Service
Ups - It's generally steady but not overwhelmingly busy. You get some down time to shoot the breeze with the GSTL or Photo Lab person. You get lots of interesting Guests and stories to tell others. I personally get some very bizzare and hilarious phone calls which kinda makes it fun because I laugh at the idiocy of some guests and what they think they should be able to return. Kinda makes the day interesting. If you get an angry guest and they ask for a manager, you call the GSTL over and get to watch the fireworks go off from the sidelines.
Downs - Slow days suck. Rude, angry, arrogant guests suck sometimes.

4.) Cashier
Ups - Get to shoot the breeze with guests. If your customers are nice it's great. Time flies because you are always usually busy.
Downs - Breaks sometimes suck because the break schedule is always dependant on others and people don't always take breaks on time. Sometimes you need a drink and it starts getting busy and you have to stay on the register. Sometimes getting of a lane can be a pain because even if your lane light is off people just pile on. Every time I'm supposed to be done or try to go to break it seems to start getting backed up at the lanes. I also always seem to get guests that need 30 different transactions so they can use their gift cards on the next and use 50 gazillion coupons.

5.) Hardlines
Ups - You are alone, can kind of do what you want in a way. Breaks are whenever you want.
Downs - Although I have only worked one shift, from what I experienced today it kind of sucks when guests and cashier backup calls are constantly taking you away from your work. I also found it rather boring and lonely. Time crawled at a snails pace when I was alone. I didn't like it much.

Once I switched from sales floor to logistics (everything from am unload, dayside br, receiving, Plano, closing, overnight flow ect.) .. I don't ever want to go back!!

Welcome! Hardlines rules!

If you were talking to me today was my first day doing it for a few hours. We have this girl who cracks me up. She's been asking me for months when I'm going to join the "Dark Side". We call the hardlines area the dark side of the force at my store. Don't ask me why. I always found it funny. Today was isolation at hardlines. I went from hardlines from 12 - 4pm then cashier till 6:30pm, then guest service from 6:30 to close at 10. We had 1 cashier, and 2 in hardlines. We were falling apart all friggin day.

Last edited:
If you were talking to me today was my first day doing it for a few hours. We have this girl who cracks me up. She's been asking me for months when I'm going to join the "Dark Side". I always found it funny. Today was isolation at hardlines. I went from hardlines from 12 - 4pm then cashier till 6:30pm, then guest service from 6:30 to close at 10. We had 1 cashier, and 2 in hardlines. We were falling apart all friggin day.
We were doing that all night, backing up front end, helping guests, & then zoning.

We were doing that all night, backing up front end, helping guests, & then zoning.

I hear you there bro. Whoever opens Guest Service tomorrow is going to want to know what my head looks like on a stick. I was so overloaded I couldn't do any see spot reshop and didn't come close to touching damages from the zone because we were spread so thin. I'm the fall guy yet I'm the one that came in early and pulled a 10 hour shift and worked my butt off all day. I just know I'm going to hear it. And with my luck it will be the only person in my entire store that seems to have an issue with me for no reason at all. But it's my day off. I'll worry about it tomorrow since I'm on the east coast and it's after midnight.

Last edited:
when I worked at spot, my favorite role was that of "TM while off the clock" and that started when I punched out after a shift.

I think photo has always been my favorite. We're still a wet lab, so there's always something to do and the day goes by really fast. I'm also trained cashier, guest services, cart attendant (kinda lol), and food ave (my primary station).

I've only been at Target for about two months, so I'm still in my 90 day probation period but I think I might like Cashiering the most?

I'm sure that would change if that was all I did though. I feel like time goes pretty fast, but I'm horrible at asking for red cards. I've gotten close a few times then either they don't have checks on them or their wife's say no. (Haha!) I tend to worry about time though, I'll do really well for a while then get a few R's and my score drops like crazy! I also feel like i'm being pressured if I need to call for a price change or something. It probably bothers me than it bothers the guests waiting though. Other wise I like it fairly well.

I'm usually soft lines and I get bored looking at it all the time. Doing go-back and zoning is kind of meh to me. (I strangely enjoy the tables though.) Our fitting room is crazy insane.We just left tonight with two stuffed z-racks full of clothes. :mda: And I think I'd stay operate is just horrid and my second to least favorite job. I always feel so awkward at it!

I've only done hard lines for very short periods and it seems alright, but I think i rather look at clothes. Bahaha.

I did carts once, on my second day and I don't think I'd ever want to do it again. I ran over my foot and I couldn't get the silly cart pusher to work very well.

Overall, I guess it's not too bad. I enjoy getting to do something different once and a while though. :)

My Main Area is 4am Flow but I'm cross trained in Cashier Hardlines/Softlines Fitting Room Electronics Carts Backroom (Dayside) Instocks PFresh & I can do food ave & guest service have prior experience just not spot experience but my fav has to be anything sales floor time flies on those shifts

I love doing Guest Services! I'm trying to become a GSA so having the opportunity to befriend other GSA's and GSTL's is helpful since I can pump them for information on getting that promotion. >=]

But generally I just like flip flopping between tasks. Cashier one day, guest services next, hard lines and then electronics another... I generally enjoy doing different tasks, being a cashier is to repetitive.

Electronics, I was hired for it and even though I am cross-trained in other areas, I enjoy working in it the most. Plus my TL would have a cow if I went anywhere else lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back