Archived Fear Over Promotion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NPC

特別な目を開けるためにパトリックを殺す
I've been with Target for a few years now. Over the past year, my TLs have encouraged me to apply for GSA/GSTL, but I've never actually gone for it. There are many reasons for this, and as talk of my interest in the position has come up yet again, I'm sort of looking for some advice and perspective.

I'm very flattered and proud that leadership has taken notice of all my hard work. Based on my review, what leadership tells me, and my own opinion, my strengths are that I'm guest first, efficient, passionate, organized, and always go by best practice. However, my weaknesses, which I also agree with, is that I could have more confidence in making decisions. I guess I call for manager approval too much...and there are a few reasons for that which make me feel like it's not entirely "fair" but I can't deny that I do ask for approval quite a bit.

ANYWAY, here are the reasons why I'm so nervous and apprehensive about applying for the GSA/GSTL position.

• The Stress! I'm terrified I won't be able to handle the stress. Had this opportunity come up 6-7 years ago, I would have taken the job without hesitation. These days though, my mental health is not in a good place. I'm struggling with problems I haven't got help for yet. Because of that, I'm worried I lack the enthusiasm and attitude to really lead and motivate the team. I also fear I lack the strength to deal with troubling guest issues, and not cracking under pressure. Seeing what the GSTLs can go through during the holidays, I don't know how they don't just break down or have a panic attack right in front of everyone.

• The Pay. I've told leadership before that I want to just take on the extra responsibility and got for GSTL. I've been told that's totally possible. So, based on that, I'd focus on that. Which means, I don't want to accept the job for a low wage. It's a managment position, and it should be paid as such. I want to ask for at LEAST $2...no less than $1. (is that reasonable?) Though I won't reveal my lowest. So, is the raise even negotiable? Would they be offended if I asked for a high wage off the bat?

• Availability. I do have a pretty restricted schedule. I have weekends off, and only work afternoon to closing. If given the job, I'd open my availability during the week.... but I don't want to give up my weekends. Is that absurd? I don't really care what days I get off....I just want them to be next to each other. If my weekends are "Wednesday-Thursday" for example, that's cool. Do GSTLs get to have restricted availability?

Target isn't my only job, so I wonder if it's even worth it to pursue higher up positions. I don't want to feel like I'm ungrateful or unappreciative about the job opportunity. I also feel partially obligated to move up in the company. Why just stay settled at just above minimum wage? But part of my passion, means I don't want to take the job, if there's someone else who could do so much better than me. Everyone seems to have confidence in me. But I don't, because I know I have all these concerns.

SOOO...for those whom actually read all this....what's your advice? Help? Give me your wisdom?

Stress will always be with any job, can't hide from it forever...if not this position, it'll be stressful at another position. Tackle it head on, and ask your leadership for guidance if you need to. Take it as a stepping stone if you plan to continue moving up in the company.

As far as pay is concern, it's like many before have mentioned, it really depends on several factors. The location will generally dictate what the base pay will be, and then you can top it off with experience and education. At least in my area, when a normal TM moves up to a TL, it's a 3-5 dollar pay bump, to bring it up to the avg TL pay in my area, which is about 15-16.

Availability will always be something you need to juggle with leadership, you can let them know before hand your expectations and see if they'll be okay with it, so you know right off the bat if you should pursue the position at all.

Confidence will grow as you grow more comfortable in the position. Best of luck and wishes no matter which route you decide to take!

These are all valid concerns but like what was stated previously, stress comes with every job. It's part of the package, don't let it define you or prohibit you from taking an opportunity that not everyone gets. I would discuss these feelings to your ETL and ETL-HR because they can give you some feedback on how they can help guide you. We all go through this when promoting. I cannot tell you how many times it crossed my mind to quit because of the stress when I was a few months in role but I just kept going and now I'm so much better, stronger, and I can offer strong support to my team because of the experience I've gained going through the obstacles of being a leader. My advice to you is to take it, ask for feedback before it's given to you and for examples of how to deal with your new responsibilities if you do take the position. It sounds like your leadership believes in you and they won't let you fail because it'll make them look bad. Go for it!

From reading your post, OP - I say don't do it.

I would avoid the GSA position if at all possible. Gstl is what you want. If you're interested in gaining a leadership reputation, gstl is where it's best seen. You're vocal on the walkie, direct many employees, and interact with a lot of out of department employees. Behind flow, it's easily the most visible team lead position in the store.

As far as stress goes, you're there for eight hours regardless. You might as well make a few dollars more for your time and gain experience you could use elsewhere.

As for the availability point, it kinda depends on what the Leadership headcount looks like at your store. At my store, TLs get alternating weekends off. In softlines, there is also a TL there that has restricted availability (Can only work on one weekend day, and one other thing that I forgot) but that's mostly because they have 3 TLs so they can afford to have one that doesn't have 24/7 availability.

From their point of view, I would not promote you to GSA or GSTL based on your availability. It sounds like you want to keep weekends off and also want 2 days off during the week, which means you would only be working a total of 3 shifts per week, with none of them being on weekends.

From your point of view, I absolutely would not try for GSA and probably wouldn't even try for GSTL. If you have another job, then you might not be able to deal with the stress. The REDcard pressure is insane. GSA is N7, so usually $.50 above a cashier or sales floor TM. GSTL is N11, which is about $3.25 above cashier at my store (N3 is going up to $10 here). Technically, the pay is negotiable, but most stores won't negotiate.

The 'no weekends' would be a deal-breaker at most stores.
All TLs at my former store are expected to rotate weekends.

From their point of view, I would not promote you to GSA or GSTL based on your availability. It sounds like you want to keep weekends off and also want 2 days off during the week, which means you would only be working a total of 3 shifts per week, with none of them being on weekends.

From your point of view, I absolutely would not try for GSA and probably wouldn't even try for GSTL. If you have another job, then you might not be able to deal with the stress. The REDcard pressure is insane. GSA is N7, so usually $.50 above a cashier or sales floor TM. GSTL is N11, which is about $3.25 above cashier at my store (N3 is going up to $10 here). Technically, the pay is negotiable, but most stores won't negotiate.

You misunderstood. I mean I want 2 days off, next to each other. That's what I have now.

You misunderstood. I mean I want 2 days off, next to each other. That's what I have now.
So you would just work Monday through Friday?

EDIT: or did you mean that you would work weekends? If that's the case, then I did misunderstand. I thought you were unwilling to give up your weekends, but maybe you just meant you preferred to have weekends off and you're willing to work them.

So you would just work Monday through Friday?

Whatever 5 days they want to give me. Currently I don't work Sundays and Mondays. The days don't matter too much, I just want them next to each other. I need a consistent schedule so I can work around my other job. So having 2 dedicated days off is pretty crucial for me.

The fact that I'm so finicky over availability I know will be a problem. I just wonder how big of a problem it is.

Tbh whether or not they would go for your availability is really on a store by store basis. A GSTL peer of mine at an old store worked 4 days a week only, bc it happened to fit the needs of that store and he had the leverage.

But in general, I'd say that availability should be fine.

Update...

Heh. Well...so....no one upper managment has talked to me about the position, nor have I applied for anything, nor have I done any additional inquiring about GSTL. Yet, 2 weeks from now, I have GSTL shifts on my schedule. Lol, okay. Guess I'm either covering for someone, or being thrown right into things. Wtf. I'm going to ask what that's about. I'm terrified of not being properly trained. I want full on training session, where I can take notes and ask lots and lots of questions!

Stress will always be with any job, can't hide from it forever...if not this position, it'll be stressful at another position. Tackle it head on, and ask your leadership for guidance if you need to. Take it as a stepping stone if you plan to continue moving up in the company.

As far as pay is concern, it's like many before have mentioned, it really depends on several factors. The location will generally dictate what the base pay will be, and then you can top it off with experience and education. At least in my area, when a normal TM moves up to a TL, it's a 3-5 dollar pay bump, to bring it up to the avg TL pay in my area, which is about 15-16.

Availability will always be something you need to juggle with leadership, you can let them know before hand your expectations and see if they'll be okay with it, so you know right off the bat if you should pursue the position at all.

Confidence will grow as you grow more comfortable in the position. Best of luck and wishes no matter which route you decide to take!

Thank you! I am trying to remember how stressed I felt learning Guest Service...and then trying to compare that to how easy it is now. I'm hoping GSTL will be the same. I didn't realize the bump in pay for GSTL was so high, I felt like I was asking to much expecting $2. I don't want to get underpaid because they think I'm not tenacious enough to ask for a higher wage. I'd rather aim high, and negotiate lower.

Update...

Heh. Well...so....no one upper managment has talked to me about the position, nor have I applied for anything, nor have I done any additional inquiring about GSTL. Yet, 2 weeks from now, I have GSTL shifts on my schedule. Lol, okay. Guess I'm either covering for someone, or being thrown right into things. Wtf. I'm going to ask what that's about. I'm terrified of not being properly trained. I want full on training session, where I can take notes and ask lots and lots of questions!

I'd be amazed if they just threw you into the GSTL position without confirming it with you or even going through the proper interview process, so I imagine those are just GSA shifts.

Maybe it's a trial run to see how you will do as GSA. They did the same thing to me. Looked at the new schedule and realized I had 3 GSA shifts. No asking. No training. Spot is all about sink or swim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back