Archived Feeling overworked

Status
Not open for further replies.
I couldn't agree more with this!!!

Personally this is the most frustrating part of the job. One time I had less than ten minutes left in my shift and the LOD gave me a fairly large size pull and said I should be able to finish it before I left. I then needed to help a guest so there went a solid three/four minutes, but even without helping the guest there was absolutely no way I would have done it all in that time. Then the LOD seemed pissed that it wasn't done.

I've even heard that particular leader sometimes gives team members pulls, gives them a ridiculous time limit, and then says he is going to time them. But from the way he says it they think he is timing them to be mean and not to motivate them.

Yeah it's beyond insane. Especially the timed zone they have us set the timer on the my device sometimes too and wonder why half of one side of an aisle Is done.

I got asked 4 times today if my pull was done and I said nope I was called to the register for an hour and a half, stopped by 3 guests on the way back to the pull, had to go in the back for 2 of them and ran for the 2 call boxes u told me to get so yep not even close to done.

The micromanaging is what sends most people running for the door honestly.

Lately, I have been GSA, Hardlines, Softlines, Food Ave, Starbucks, and Cart Attendant in the same shift. I feel like I am the only GSA they expect this out of. They scheduled someone who is on LOA to work tonight and started trying to come up with a plan yesterday. When I left work yesterday, the plan was that I would be at Starbucks and close GSA from 5-9 pm. I am getting worn too thin.

I feel over worked at times. Like management has unrealistic time frames to get things done. The other day I worked a 4 hours shift and the stl wanted me to research and basically 4x4 all bedding and zone all of D and so reshop as well as help guests, get calls and back up cashier and wondered why I didnt get most of D super zoned or one cart of reshop done (I had 4). Then I had ten min left the other night and the lod asked if I could help her with a pallet that had 40 boxes on it and as I was leaving she said did you finish the pallet? I was like no... I had ten min... And she seemed upset. I'm sorry but no one can do all that in those time frames especially when everything is Is in the wrong location hense the 4x4 in bedding taking forever. :confused:

Also when zoning they want us in each aisle a maximum of 3 min.. But then wonder why it's not super zoned.. Have you met A block? Lol

I couldn't agree more with this!!!

Personally this is the most frustrating part of the job. One time I had less than ten minutes left in my shift and the LOD gave me a fairly large size pull and said I should be able to finish it before I left. I then needed to help a guest so there went a solid three/four minutes, but even without helping the guest there was absolutely no way I would have done it all in that time. Then the LOD seemed pissed that it wasn't done.

I've even heard that particular leader sometimes gives team members pulls, gives them a ridiculous time limit, and then says he is going to time them. But from the way he says it they think he is timing them to be mean and not to motivate them.

YES to both of these. It is SO frustrating to constantly be pulled in so many directions. Just because leadership NEEDS every team member to be in 2-3 places at the same time doesn't mean that anyone CAN be in 2-3 places at a time! The day I snap I will point this out to leadership (LOL). It's just sad I love the work I do (and I am REALLY good at it), I'm great at guest service but most days I leave work feeling SO defeated. Thursday was the best, I was helping push in the First Aid aisle (I'm on the POG team) and I got a guest with MAJOR attitude. I'm walking with him to see if we have the item that he wants help with and he is berating ME because there is no one on the sales floor! I thought to my self "Sir you are preaching to the choir on this one". His attitude not-withstanding I was FFF and got his item pulled from the back and brought up to the check lanes as he demanded, but left work feeling more defeated than usual.

P.S. I'd really like to know where these Guests who what to be waited on hand and foot shop! While we at Target are woefully understaffed most of the time, I don't notice any other stores that I shop that seem to be any better staffed. There is regional Supercenter in my town that no longer has Fitting Rooms (they do still of course sell apparel).

Yeah it's beyond insane. Especially the timed zone they have us set the timer on the my device sometimes too and wonder why half of one side of an aisle Is done.

I got asked 4 times today if my pull was done and I said nope I was called to the register for an hour and a half, stopped by 3 guests on the way back to the pull, had to go in the back for 2 of them and ran for the 2 call boxes u told me to get so yep not even close to done.

The micromanaging is what sends most people running for the door honestly.

Yes!!! Can't agree any more!

Do you work at my store? That's exactly the problem we have on dayside.

Haha maybe?? I'm not sure but it seems like there's micromanaging everywhere. From a few posts ive seen of yours I've thought maybe you were from my store too lol

Depends on the area.
Some standalones would snap up Target baristas while others turn up their noses, saying we're not 'real' baristas.
Kept me from looking at a standalone position.
This^. So, I applied to Starbucks off and on for about 5 years before I found the right store to get me into the company. I have about 50 in a 20 mile radius. I applied repeatedly to different stores. When I finally got the call I almost cried tears of joy. I cannot tell you what a great company it really is. They care so much about the employees. And they are all about promoting in house- no degree required.

@Krissfak have you thought about trying other locations or actually going inside and talking to the store manager about hiring needs? It couldn't hurt. Let them know about all the reasons you love Starbucks-it helps. Also, keep in mind that they are more likely to have barista positions open than shift supervisors. I applied for both, just in case.

I started on 4/16/15 as a shift supervisor. I promoted to assistant manager in July. I have been a store manager since February 1st. I cannot stress this enough-unlike Target, we don't dangle carrots, we develop and promote talent.

Last edited:
This^. So, I applied to Starbucks off and on for about 5 years before I found the right store to get me into the company. I have about 50 in a 20 mile radius. I applied repeatedly to different stores. When I finally got the call I almost cried tears of joy. I cannot tell you what a great company it really is. They care so much about the employees. And they are all about promoting in house- no degree required.

@Krissfak have you thought about trying other locations or actually going inside and talking to the store manager about hiring needs? It couldn't hurt. Let them know about all the reasons you love Starbucks-it helps. Also, keep in mind that they are more likely to have barista positions open than shift supervisors. I applied for both, just in case.

I started on 4/16/15 as a shift supervisor. I promoted to assistant manager in July. I have been a store manager since February 1st. I cannot stress this enough-unlike Target, we don't dangle carrots, we develop and promote talent.

Wow!! I did not know you were a store manager for SBUX now @Sickofspot! That is amazing. You've come so much further than you ever would have at the red shithole.

I feel over worked at times. Like management has unrealistic time frames to get things done. The other day I worked a 4 hours shift and the stl wanted me to research and basically 4x4 all bedding and zone all of D and so reshop as well as help guests, get calls and back up cashier and wondered why I didnt get most of D super zoned or one cart of reshop done (I had 4). Then I had ten min left the other night and the lod asked if I could help her with a pallet that had 40 boxes on it and as I was leaving she said did you finish the pallet? I was like no... I had ten min... And she seemed upset. I'm sorry but no one can do all that in those time frames especially when everything is Is in the wrong location hense the 4x4 in bedding taking forever. :confused:

Also when zoning they want us in each aisle a maximum of 3 min.. But then wonder why it's not super zoned.. Have you met A block? Lol

i always love when my ETLS do this. You have like 10-15 minutes to go and they are like. Here do this thing that obviously takes at least double the time you have left at bare minimum

Congrats. I love my starbucks TL. I am shocked they havent tried to leave to an actual starbucks yet as im sure they could be store manager quickly like you did

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back