Archived Fellow APTM's: Feeling Abandoned, Yet?

Has Spot given up on AP?

• Yes

Votes: 16 21.6%
  • No

Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Yes, but I've also given up on Spot.

Votes: 19 25.7%
  • REDCard

Votes: 30 40.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

HardlinesGuy

Deputy Sheriff - Former AP Team Leader
Is anybody else feeling totally abandoned by Spot lately? Or otherwise just experiencing a huge lack of morale in regard to AP? It feels like they simply don't give a single shit about AP anymore.

Lately, every AP team in my district has been getting the short end of the stick. Stores with shitty camera layouts to begin with are being forced to lose even more cameras, TPS's being told to push carts and getting yelled at for not being at the front doors greeting, APS's being put on final warning for the most minuscule things, and ETL-AP's being forced into doing general store work to the point that they don't have time to do anything AP related.

Don't get me wrong, there's always been issues and I'm not trying to sound whiny, but this is getting ridiculous. Morale across basically my whole district is at an all time low, and a good majority of us have started considering looking for other employment, because we all know Target has no problem screwing us over and replacing us in a heartbeat.

All the AP changes since I arrived:
1) TPS Vibe
2) TPS Cards
3) Lost Sr. TPS
4) Lost TPS uniform
5)Tightened Directives
6)Camera Reduction
7) Lost spiderwraps/replaced with box-guard
8)lost public view monitors

Also, nobody in my store gives a shit about merch protection other than AP. It gets to be kinda difficult protecting everything in a Target.

Then we end up having more shortage and it's the "lazy AP teams" fault.
I think someone high up, took a look at shortage numbers and saw them low and figured they could make cuts in AP. What they forgot is what got that number low in the first place.

Last edited:
Camera reduction is a joke. The directives they impose with zero wiggle room is a joke. The pay is a joke.

Less resources = more results. The only reason they're pushing so hard for results has to be because Target is considering massive cuts to AP next year. The shortage is going to be HUGE next year and yet they'll use it to justify it as a failure of Assets Protection.

I'm out of that life. The stress isn't worth $14 by a long shot.

Camera reduction is a joke. The directives they impose with zero wiggle room is a joke. The pay is a joke.

Less resources = more results. The only reason they're pushing so hard for results has to be because Target is considering massive cuts to AP next year. The shortage is going to be HUGE next year and yet they'll use it to justify it as a failure of Assets Protection.

I got pushed out of AP on my 85th day of employment. ETL-AP said I wasnt making enough recoveries... Sorry that I walk the Floor and guest service every shady looking person I see before they try to steal. I also fixed the merch protection on fitbits and beats, now they have resorted to cutting the spider wraps.

This is likely the most true statement on the topic.

Morale in our store is so low we've had 20+ long term TMs quit the past few months. Come to think of it, ever since we got a new ETL-HR people have been dropping. She talks bad about TMs out in the open, takes 3 week vacations and come back bragging about her good time and how she's so glad she is an EtL and not TM. Last week she requisitioned out peanutbutter...that was it. Just some expired peanut butter for the breakroom, no bread, no jelly...lol actually come to think of it again, each time shes requisitioned food for the breakroom it's been expired. She took away the DVD player and movies because it condones TMs to take longer breaks. Not making this stuff up.

Last edited:
She sounds like someone who thinks she's larger than life right now. She'll be gone soon.

I'm with you I really do love AP and the people I work with but I feel more and more useless everyday. They cut cameras and push for more apps but I can't app anyone solo and I don't have an APS. In the year that I've been a tps I've slowly been changed into a Walmart greeter and it's hard to stay positive. We have one APS in my market yet they're up out ass for apprehensions I can't stand it, I feel the tps position as a whole is getting more and more useless id say cut the loss on the position and start introducing more APSs or keep the tps position but give markets like mine more resources to drive resolution. Honestly fuck ETL-AP&tps stores, fuck being solo as a tps at least two days a week something has o change

Yes, there have been a lot of changes and many of them for the worst. Having said that, I still feel like our AP team is the best in the retail field. Will that still be the case in a few years? If these changes keep coming I doubt it.

A lot of it also depends on your ETL-AP/APTL/APBP. People that have been around for awhile know what works and what doesn't. All of the "fresh hires" follow everything to the dot and complain when you don't get results. Personally I haven't had any issues since the leadership in my district has been around for awhile and know the balance.

Another thing you really need to look at which most people don't realize is what saves more money in the end. You just need to find that balance.

Having spent seven years doing AP, I 100% agree with you. Granted, I left the company last year, I can confirm that the last couple years were absolutely miserable. I went from loving my job for the first half-decade, to being absolutely miserable. What you've written is especially true for those that have been around for awhile, since it's clear they're trying to performance out anybody making decent money (I was at $15/hr as a Sr. TPS) or having been around awhile. The new APBP became absolutely reckless, unapproachable, and had no problems being despised by everybody, including ETL-AP's. Corporate completed destroyed the Investigations center in our city and eliminated the IS deployments. Sure, ONE aps position was brought back but other than that, every store went solo. No more communications with neighboring stores, and a complete purge of any senior positions. Boosters were basically unstoppable and it became clear that the company stopped giving a shit about shortage reduction. Sure, they said they did but their actions said otherwise.
I'm still willing to bet that in the near-future, the company is going to contract out AP to some security company and completely wash their hands of any AP responsibilities, which means complete layoff's to all hourly AP members. With cuts to near-bone levels, it seems like the likely near-future path. And for those of you doubting this, look at Target mobile, CVS, Optical, ect (and keep in mind other retailers already have contract non-company LP)

Having spent seven years doing AP, I 100% agree with you. Granted, I left the company last year, I can confirm that the last couple years were absolutely miserable. I went from loving my job for the first half-decade, to being absolutely miserable. What you've written is especially true for those that have been around for awhile, since it's clear they're trying to performance out anybody making decent money (I was at $15/hr as a Sr. TPS) or having been around awhile. The new APBP became absolutely reckless, unapproachable, and had no problems being despised by everybody, including ETL-AP's. Corporate completed destroyed the Investigations center in our city and eliminated the IS deployments. Sure, ONE aps position was brought back but other than that, every store went solo. No more communications with neighboring stores, and a complete purge of any senior positions. Boosters were basically unstoppable and it became clear that the company stopped giving a shit about shortage reduction. Sure, they said they did but their actions said otherwise.
I'm still willing to bet that in the near-future, the company is going to contract out AP to some security company and completely wash their hands of any AP responsibilities, which means complete layoff's to all hourly AP members. With cuts to near-bone levels, it seems like the likely near-future path. And for those of you doubting this, look at Target mobile, CVS, Optical, ect (and keep in mind other retailers already have contract non-company LP)

And I honestly think that is for the best. Was Target top of line AP back in the day? Sure, we talked about it all the time and gave great examples of how we were on top of crime/theft/law enforcement partnerships... Now, we haven't done any major update in YEARS to most of our systems. Anybody who has worked with TCM knows this is the case. While we did a great job at one point, I think a private security company could likely do a much better job than us, and we can focus our resources on the things we need.

Is anybody else feeling totally abandoned by Spot lately? Or otherwise just experiencing a huge lack of morale in regard to AP? It feels like they simply don't give a single shit about AP anymore.

Lately, every AP team in my district has been getting the short end of the stick. Stores with shitty camera layouts to begin with are being forced to lose even more cameras, TPS's being told to push carts and getting yelled at for not being at the front doors greeting, APS's being put on final warning for the most minuscule things, and ETL-AP's being forced into doing general store work to the point that they don't have time to do anything AP related.

Don't get me wrong, there's always been issues and I'm not trying to sound whiny, but this is getting ridiculous. Morale across basically my whole district is at an all time low, and a good majority of us have started considering looking for other employment, because we all know Target has no problem screwing us over and replacing us in a heartbeat.

Yes, the only reason I haven't quit yet is because I didn't get hired with a local Police Department yet, been trying to get on but wasn't selected for 2 agencies but I'm gonna apply to more. I've only been with Target for 2 years and I don't want to look like a job hopper on future LE applications. I'm very close to quitting though, considering doing armed security in the meantime or a loss prevention detective job at a different company that actually cares about AP.

But yeah, I absolutely hate what Target did to AP. I hope they're reading this and understand how unhappy we are with all of their awful changes.

Last edited:
Update: Speaking of morale being non existent, two veteran TPS's of 5 years each were just termed with the official reason being "causing an NPI" when they were barely even involved. My entire district is fed up.

I actually disagree with this. Our APBP, Group AP Leader, Region AP Leader and DM (surprisingly) are all VERY invested into AP. Morale has never been higher for our district, from what I hear. The ETL-APs are very close in my district and we talk ALL the time about relevant activity. We haven't had any cuts in positions either. Most stores in our district have 3-4 TPS, 1-2 APS, and an ETL AP and the district external numbers are very high when compared to our peers around the country.

As someone who has gone to other retailers (as an APS, internal investigator, and Manager in AP), the grass is not greener on the other side. You will miss the tech, you will miss the reports you have handy all the time, you will miss your partnerships and the people. Target's AP is hands down the best in the business by a landslide.

My store is also completely invested into AP. I have them bought in to how it will benefit their bonus at the end of the year. TMs are excited. It's not easy getting people to care about shortage, believe me I know, but as soon as you rationalize with other leaders and how it directly affects their work centers, they will straighten out...eventually.

Good luck to you

lol Poonhdini, either you're a "new member" TROLL or a brand new TPS and think you know it all. We've all done it for years, and the fact you "hear" moral has never been higher is a funny assumption when company-wide its completely different. You sound like a good little lap dog who will bark and jump when told, excellent.. just like the way Spot likes their little puppies ;)

No, I have to agree with him. My entire chain of command from ETL up to group leader have expressed the need for AP, and support us. Yes some of the directives from headquarters such as reductions in video suck, its a ever fluid situation. We have an amazing APBP who gives us enough wiggle room to do what we need to do. Zero people going on final or whatever else people keep talking about as a over reaction. I can't simply grasp how different areas are by what people say on this board.

Moral in my district is doing great. Maybe you guys have shit leadership or just been at the same job for too long and should have moved on by now.

Two people who have been a TPS for 5 years and were hardly related to a NPI and were fired? Sounds like they stayed a TPS for 4 years too long and should haven't involved themselves in anyway of a NPI. You would think after 5 years they would know better.

Asset protection isn't the police. Stop acting like you are the police. There is a reason why people get passed up on promotions, kept at arms length and not allowed to do anything ( door greeter) or flat out a TPS for 5 years. Don't like the job? Move on and let someone else see if they enjoy it. This is worse than some dude or chick in softlines bitching about not making 15 dollars an hour and who refuses to increase their skill set to get promotions.

We're in a medium-shrink area so our AP is highly regarded. A day that I don't find at least 5 stolen things stashed behind items on the shelves maybe we could not have as much AP employees lol.

Thank Infinim. I think this SeniorAP person is mad looool.

I've been an AP Professional for 9 years, buddy. 7 at a leadership capacity and now an ETL-AP. I have been a Sr. TPS, back when the uniforms were all black and an APS before jumping around companies and finally coming back here.

My statements above stay the same. When I say "I hear", I literally mean that's what I hear from the horses mouth. Work hard, work with what you have and you will reach where you want to go (So long as you go to college).

The job is not rocket science and you are not the police as stated previously.

Maybe one day you'll enjoy your job again. There is a ton of money to be made if you truck forward. Good luck, kid.

No, I have to agree with him. My entire chain of command from ETL up to group leader have expressed the need for AP, and support us. Yes some of the directives from headquarters such as reductions in video suck, its a ever fluid situation. We have an amazing APBP who gives us enough wiggle room to do what we need to do. Zero people going on final or whatever else people keep talking about as a over reaction. I can't simply grasp how different areas are by what people say on this board.

Moral in my district is doing great. Maybe you guys have shit leadership or just been at the same job for too long and should have moved on by now.

Two people who have been a TPS for 5 years and were hardly related to a NPI and were fired? Sounds like they stayed a TPS for 4 years too long and should haven't involved themselves in anyway of a NPI. You would think after 5 years they would know better.

Asset protection isn't the police. Stop acting like you are the police. There is a reason why people get passed up on promotions, kept at arms length and not allowed to do anything ( door greeter) or flat out a TPS for 5 years. Don't like the job? Move on and let someone else see if they enjoy it. This is worse than some dude or chick in softlines bitching about not making 15 dollars an hour and who refuses to increase their skill set to get promotions.

What skill set are you referring to? APTMs like you are the worst. Stop kissing corporates ass. I would not trust you to have my back in an apprehension. You keep saying "we are not police" bla bla but who is in the line of fire when arresting boosters for grand theft? WE are. We may not be police but our job is in the field of criminal justice, we have legal authority to apprehend, and we deserve respect and the tools and ability to do our job.

And I personally wouldn't want to work with someone with your issues. You weren't given APS due to your behavior towards being too aggressive towards team members outside of your AP team, and obviously you don't have the backing of your AP leadership. You need to find a new line of career since law enforcement isn't for you. If you can't pass a physiological eval even for a non-certified position at a police force, it means your moral character isn't suited for this or that line of work.

It's AP "team" members like you who end up making those NPIs, being aggressive towards guests just because you think something, or a bully to your coworkers. No, you wouldn't like working with me. I would stick you next to a fire exit with baskets just in case a guest decided to rip down the door to come in that way. AP members like you are why we get restricted in our directives. Move on and be happy with something else.

And I personally wouldn't want to work with someone with your issues. You weren't given APS due to your behavior towards being too aggressive towards team members outside of your AP team, and obviously you don't have the backing of your AP leadership. You need to find a new line of career since law enforcement isn't for you. If you can't pass a physiological eval even for a non-certified position at a police force, it means your moral character isn't suited for this or that line of work.

It's AP "team" members like you who end up making those NPIs, being aggressive towards guests just because you think something, or a bully to your coworkers. No, you wouldn't like working with me. I would stick you next to a fire exit with baskets just in case a guest decided to rip down the door to come in that way. AP members like you are why we get restricted in our directives. Move on and be happy with something else.

You are wrong. You do not know me at all and you are making all these wild assumptions that I am aggressive and questioning my moral character, based on a post I made several months ago on a meaningless internet forum where we just talk crap for fun and vent about work. I know which post you are referring to, it's the one where I said team members should "fear and respect" us. What I meant by that is they should "fear" us in the way that they know "oh crap, AP is good at their jobs and on top of things here, if I try to steal anything they'll catch me" You took my post way too literally. Those weren't even my personal feelings by the way, my ETL-AP literally told me our team should "respect and fear" us.

I am not aggressive to my team in any way shape or form, I am very friendly in real life to the guests and team members. I personally reach out to them and have a very close relationship with EVERYONE at my store, everyone loves me at my store. I am always there to talk to them or help them with anything they need. And my moral character is beyond reproach. I have never done anything illegal in my life..and I DO follow the directives. I have never done anything stupid or harmful to the guests, team members, or Target. I always have the companies best interest in mind and have a mindset of deescalation and avoiding problems. You act like I am someone who goes out and looks for problems and starts fights, but I'm the complete opposite of that. I simply enjoy stopping people from committing crimes. You don't know anything about me or why I wasn't hired. There are thousands of applicants competing for a handful of positions. It's very competitive to get a job in law enforcement right now.

Stop being a condescending prick. You are the aggressive one, because you are being passive aggressive. You literally follow me around in every thread and write snarky condescending crap in reply to my posts and start problems with me. YOU have issues and are a potential stalker. Get a life.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back