Archived Finally GSA

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was finally promoted to gsa after being asked last year around this time. What took so long to get promoted was that I was still in high school and under 18. Now that I'm 18 and out of high school I got the position. I knew my training was going to be minimal but not this bad. Two split shifts, one 3.5 hours after a guest service shift and one 4 hours before a guest service. I have three gsa shifts on the schedule that came out yesterday, hopefully I had enough training!

I'm sorry to hear that.

You may want to start applying for other jobs now so that you can get out quickly.
I don't think I want to start applying now. If they aren't dangling a carrot in front of me, I should be getting prepped for bench interviews over the summer.

Congratulations! I hope your obvious ambition serves you well. Best of luck to you!

You're lucky you had any training at all. I was thrown into the position because no one else wanted to do it and we were short-staffed. My "training" consisted of learning how to close the lanes one night. Everything else I had to pick up on my own. Fun stuff.

Oh, I agree. Spot has a shitty training plan from what I've seen so far.

It's all on you...

Perhaps that's the plan?

The best part of being GSA is how your store's leadership will look down on you like you're not doing a good job and you are the sole reason for the REDcard deficiency and you're just a lowly TM even though you bust your ass every second you are there and you are basically the LOD of all things front-end and your team loves you and the guests love you.

They benched me for TL. I cover the front all the time. I enjoy the fast pace speed weaving. I wouldn't mind GSA it's only a couple of hours. while gstl has 8 hrs plus paper work, coaching , etc . idk but I wouldn't mind the guaranteed 40 hrs a week.

Man. He hasn't even had his first training shift and all of you are already tearing down his new position. Give him a chance to decide how he feels about it for himself and just say congrats for achieving a career goal. It's an accomplishment regardless.

Man. He hasn't even had his first training shift and all of you are already tearing down his new position. Give him a chance to decide how he feels about it for himself and just say congrats for achieving a career goal. It's an accomplishment regardless.

You're right. Sorry, allaboutspeed.

I have a like/hate relationship with the GSA position. It's a thankless job in many ways (especially the pay grade), but I could never go back to being just a Service Desk TM/whatever. You get to basically lead a team and run the front-end your way (except when the GSTL or a micro-managing LOD is working). It's nice to get nearly 40 hours every week and feel needed.

And it is an accomplishment. Congrats! GSA is a role where they put people who they want to develop. By any measure other than Spot's, or any reasonable measure, GSA would be considered a supervisor position, and that supervisory experience is a plus.

If your store's GSA training is anything like mine's was, be glad that you have TBR at your disposal.

This the same thing that happened with me. Unfortunately I was an external hire so I didn't know anything about Target at least you have some on the job knowledge.

However, you will be fine being a GSA is all about problem solving and giving guests the best experience possible. So as long as you can do those two it will be a breeze, except for those rough days we sometimes experience!

Just make sure you keep up with breaks and be professional when answering guest concerns.

Thanks for the support! I actually had my training shifts last week and my first shift is next sunday.

So I was finally promoted to gsa after being asked last year around this time. What took so long to get promoted was that I was still in high school and under 18. Now that I'm 18 and out of high school I got the position. I knew my training was going to be minimal but not this bad. Two split shifts, one 3.5 hours after a guest service shift and one 4 hours before a guest service. I have three gsa shifts on the schedule that came out yesterday, hopefully I had enough training!

Gsa is definitely one of the most challenging positions to do well. If you've been on the front for awhile it's not that hard a transition. Keep the front running. Remember it's more than holding keys and running the break schedule. If you want to be a TL show them that you can solve problems and manage the cashiers to reach goals. Depending on you volume you may or may not have additional duties. Redcads and motivation to get them are big parts of your job but also driving surveys and guest service. Don't be afraid to partner with the lod but don't bug them for mionor issues you can handle. Use your best judgment and communicate what you did with leadership. If you make a mistake own up to it and learn from it. As long as you communicate it thayre usually okay with it at least at my store. Good luck!

I hope it works out for you. A lot of people bag on the position, but personally speaking I like being a GSA. It's hectic and stressful and I get sick of the REDCards and other such metrics, but I love working in a fast-paced environment and always having something to do. It's not often tedious, to say the least.

Just don't get stuck. Ask your GSTL's for support and show them that you want to learn and grow, and you might just be a GSTL yourself one day. It doesn't always happen, but if any of your GSTL's move up or down in any way, there will be a spot to fill, and you might just be the one with the most experience to fill it.

Get ready to deal with a LOT of BS, though. I consider myself to be pretty good at what I do, but I will never get used to be screamed at by an irate guest. Which is essentially a staple of my life at this point.

Being a GSA is a pain and a blessing!!! I've been one for about 4 months and still working towards being ready to be on the TL bench. It's not a hard position if u have the drive to use it as a stepping stool!! Once u have a couple of shifts by yourself you'll see it's a piece of cake!

They benched me for TL. I cover the front all the time. I enjoy the fast pace speed weaving. I wouldn't mind GSA it's only a couple of hours. while gstl has 8 hrs plus paper work, coaching , etc . idk but I wouldn't mind the guaranteed 40 hrs a week.

I thought as a GSA u are guaranteed 40hrs and every other weekend off cuz at my store it was mandatory we get 40 hrs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back