Archived Fire tunnels blocked

Status
Not open for further replies.
An etl recently told me that he got an email from someone in the Target stratosphere that 75% of stores have blocked or partially blocked fire tunnels. Gee, I'm shocked.

What does that tell you? Either the corporation is sending far too much product, the management in the store is post poor at managing space, or a combination of both.

Our main tunnel is partially blocked 99% of the time. Tubs, pallets, carts, etc.

I'm sure it's bad at a lot of other retail stores.

Ours used to be like that until the old DTL popped in unannounced and saw it completely blocked with many-seasonal pallets, and raged so hard that he burst a few capillaries in his face. It's been clear ever since, except for maybe one occasional pallet of signing from the truck that gets stashed there for a couple hours until plano grabs it.

Ours used to be like that until the old DTL popped in unannounced and saw it completely blocked with many-seasonal pallets, and raged so hard that he burst a few capillaries in his face. It's been clear ever since, except for maybe one occasional pallet of signing from the truck that gets stashed there for a couple hours until plano grabs it.
I'd love for that DTL to see ours now.

Too bad my fire lane/tunnels are never blocked since I'm backroom I also have my logistics key carrier tl to help me enforce policy.

Was it last year that HQ was watching the fire halls and exits once every hour or so and if there was anything in them or blocking them, the STL would get a text?

Last year, our store was randomly inspected by the locale fire marshal. It was near Black Friday and there was signage and other things parked in the pump room. The STL was given a day to clear it or a fine would be issued. A fine would also be issued if the pump room was ever used for storage again.

Fast forward to now; I'm just waiting to see the look on that marshal's face when he sees what's happening in the backroom. Interesting aside, the pump room is NOT being used for storage.

Last year, our store was randomly inspected by the locale fire marshal. It was near Black Friday and there was signage and other things parked in the pump room. The STL was given a day to clear it or a fine would be issued. A fine would also be issued if the pump room was ever used for storage again.

Fast forward to now; I'm just waiting to see the look on that marshal's face when he sees what's happening in the backroom. Interesting aside, the pump room is NOT being used for storage.

We got the fire marshall last week. It was kind of funny. I was up at guest services waiting for a them to print a bunch of clearance tickets for old crap I found behind other stuff in our shelves. An ETL went up to to front to greet the marshal. Then ETL proceeded to actually use the "I'll have to get our store manager down here to take you back there" line for about 10 minutes while STL took his sweet ass time so everyone in the back could scramble to clear the fire lanes.

We got the fire marshall last week. It was kind of funny. I was up at guest services waiting for a them to print a bunch of clearance tickets for old crap I found behind other stuff in our shelves. An ETL went up to to front to greet the marshal. Then ETL proceeded to actually use the "I'll have to get our store manager down here to take you back there" line for about 10 minutes while STL took his sweet ass time so everyone in the back could scramble to clear the fire lanes.

Yeah, a surprise inspection isn't very effective if you announce yourself and then wait for the store to greet you.

Better if he would have just came in, surveyed the place THEN announced his arrival. But in all honesty, the marshal probably wouldn't have done anything beyond what the marshal at my store did. Verbal warning at sight of issue.

Profits before safety. Target wishes you and yours a merry .... correction ..... wishes you good luck getting out if there's a fire.

Profits before safety. Target wishes you and yours a merry .... correction ..... wishes you good luck getting out if there's a fire.

TBF to my store. We could still get people through the fire lane easily if needed. We have a very, very wide fire lane. We just have Trim-a-Tree pallets taking up all our backroom space and nowhere else to put shit we don't have time to backstock. It's a modernization shitshow. We all blame corporate.

This is a result of a store in my neck of the woods. HQ walked a store with a blocked fire aisle (among other issues) lol. Glad the message was finally sent to the rest of the company. Atleast it isn’t coming down as a result of someone’s death. It’s a matter of time though given how some stores are ran unfortunately

An etl recently told me that he got an email from someone in the Target stratosphere that 75% of stores have blocked or partially blocked fire tunnels. Gee, I'm shocked.

What does that tell you? Either the corporation is sending far too much product, the management in the store is post poor at managing space, or a combination of both.

Our main tunnel is partially blocked 99% of the time. Tubs, pallets, carts, etc.

I'm sure it's bad at a lot of other retail stores.
It was literally never like that at the Walmart I worked at, but that was a bit ago.

Our fire doors are never completely blocked but most of the time one of the two doors is completely blocked.

Wouldn’t take much for our fixture room to be a death trap, too.
Yes! Just the other day while putting stuff away I had to step over something that was leaning and then tuck my foot under it before putting my foot on the floor because there was stuff on the other side that was slick. It's like that every inch of the fixture room.

My store got fined a few weeks ago because of all the skids we had blocking the tunnel during a "surprise" visit.

Now if anyone gets caught leaving anything in the tunnel it's an immediate CCA.

My store got fined a few weeks ago because of all the skids we had blocking the tunnel during a "surprise" visit.

Now if anyone gets caught leaving anything in the tunnel it's an immediate CCA.
Nothing like a fine to get things moving in the right direction. When money talks, leadership listens...🤑🙄😂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back