Archived Firing over not selling enough red cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sometimes you have those days where you keep asking EVERYONE and no one wants to sign up or they already have one.

When I was a cashier, "those days" were almost every day; I would go for months without a single Red Card. I used to joke that my Red Card score ("conversion" for you old-timers ;)) wasn't even red, but black.

15 in one shift is jaw-dropping tbh. I can't even imagine having that busy of a store where that is possible.

Either that store has no penetration (get your mind out of the gutter) whatsoever or there's some shady shit going on. I'm going with the latter.

What is your store's daily goal, more or less, if you can say...?

15 in one shift is jaw-dropping tbh. I can't even imagine having that busy of a store where that is possible.
normally its 10

How can they prove you weren't asking? Like if your ETL says you didn't and you say you did.

I consistently observe people who aren't meeting expectations. I will take 20-30 minutes to observe them ringing, sometimes I'm more subtle than others. In that time, I'll count the number of guests they helped versus the number of times they've mentioned the REDcard. Say in 20 minutes, you had 15 guests. If I observed you ask 14 of the 15 guests about the REDcard, I'm probably going to let it go. If I were to observe you asking 3 of the 15 guests about the REDcard, I'm going to pull you into an office and coach you for it.

It's a horrible system, and the entire REDcard process needs to be redone from scratch. I've been in sales and sales management positions and the REDcard goals are very high and unrealistic in comparison to all of my past positions and experiences, but I can say that every single under-performing cashier that I've gotten rid of was due to them not talking about the REDcard. There are plenty of people who don't get as many redcards as I want them to that are not performanced out, but the one's I eventually term are always the ones who not only don't meet redcard expectations, but don't ask about them either.

I consistently observe people who aren't meeting expectations. I will take 20-30 minutes to observe them ringing, sometimes I'm more subtle than others. In that time, I'll count the number of guests they helped versus the number of times they've mentioned the REDcard. Say in 20 minutes, you had 15 guests. If I observed you ask 14 of the 15 guests about the REDcard, I'm probably going to let it go. If I were to observe you asking 3 of the 15 guests about the REDcard, I'm going to pull you into an office and coach you for it.

It's a horrible system, and the entire REDcard process needs to be redone from scratch. I've been in sales and sales management positions and the REDcard goals are very high and unrealistic in comparison to all of my past positions and experiences, but I can say that every single under-performing cashier that I've gotten rid of was due to them not talking about the REDcard. There are plenty of people who don't get as many redcards as I want them to that are not performanced out, but the one's I eventually term are always the ones who not only don't meet redcard expectations, but don't ask about them either.
exatcly, there were times I went hmm maybe 3 months without getting a Redcard... but I asked everyone I rang up to sign up for one. I remember one day the ETL was pulling everyone in her office to coach them all except me and one other cashier because we asked everyone.

And I think THAT is the issue with many people. 5% is crap. With Target's data breach, people are still kinda leery...even with the chip card (which absolutely sucks, btw). And even if the debit card is a better choice than a high-interest cc, who carries blank checks with them anymore? So you get a guest sold on the idea of a debit card and then you say, "I'll need a blank check" and the whole thing is shut down. This is happened to me so many times and it's really aggravating.

When a guest tells me that they don't have a check with them I encourage them to sign-up on-line. Each week we get maybe 4 or 5 people that sign up on-line.

I do tell the guests that it looks better for the store to sign up in the store, but I also mention that Target would rather a person get a Red Card on-line than not get a Red Card at all.

Here's the thing. Target metrics us on the number of Red Cards obtained against the total number of transactions you had. There is no context behind that ratio. Target Corp People. I know you read this site. Please heed the following advice:

It's 2016. You should be able to track the following:
1. Did the guest pay with a Red Card? If yes, that transaction shouldn't count against us for not selling one.
2. Did the guest pay with a different credit/debit card? There has to be a way to track names and extrapolate whether or not the guest has one but is using a different payment. Hell, you give some guests 7+ coupons out of that damn Catalina thing. You know who they are! Other payments were prevalent in Q1 where some people explained they were paying off the charges they accrued for the holidays. Another convenient excuse I get is "My spouse has it" or "I left it at home after shopping online this morning".
3. Team Member Discount presented? Transaction shouldn't count. Target TMs all know how important Red Cards are. We're just trying to go on break. My store has an unwritten rule that we are allowed to not ask other TMs out of respect for their time.

Target, if you want more success at selling Red Cards, you need to look at the context behind the numbers. This brute force way of going about it is burning out your staff. Replacing us like cogs isn't going to solve the problem.[/QUOTE]

Our store has a 25%-30% penetration rate. How are we supposed to get MORE Red Cards.

I agree with being able to check these metrics. Target can seem to come up with metrics for everything else, so why can't they put time into this in order to get more accurate counts??

Don't know why this quote wasn't highlighted. ^^^

Red Card incentives.....as I mentioned before my store penetration rate is 25-30%. Our current Red card goals are not being met. Sometimes we get product off the floor for getting a RC or we'll get a Starbucks. Well, I've mentioned that the incentive could be $100.00 a RC and we still wouldn't be able to get guests to sign-up!!

Cross-posted from the Red Card thread but I saw this little bit in the news today in an article about sweeping changes at Target over the next year. Since I'm a cashier, it caught my eye:

"Another change in the pipeline: a simplified loyalty program aimed at attracting more customers than currently take part in Target's coupon app Cartwheel or REDCard credit and debit card. Target has been testing a separate program called REDPerks in North Carolina that rewards customers based on a point system for dollars spent."

Target has been testing a separate program called REDPerks in North Carolina that rewards customers based on a point system for dollars spent."
Regurgitating an old program back when cardholders had to accumulate 1000 points before earning a 10% off coupon good for ONE DAY.
Agree with @pellinore that more incentives are needed since guests have many other options they can use (airline miles, cash back, Disney trips/merch).

Old Navy is worse, the store I was at gave hours based on how many cards you sold.

Nobody has said it outright at my store but I'm pretty sure it's happening to some of us at Target. I've gotten just about 20 hours every week this year despite everyone else having a drop in hours, but my RedCard performance has gone down pretty drastically. I've finally been scheduled a 13 hour week. :cool:

Here's the thing. Target metrics us on the number of Red Cards obtained against the total number of transactions you had. There is no context behind that ratio. Target Corp People. I know you read this site. Please heed the following advice:

It's 2016. You should be able to track the following:
1. Did the guest pay with a Red Card? If yes, that transaction shouldn't count against us for not selling one.
2. Did the guest pay with a different credit/debit card? There has to be a way to track names and extrapolate whether or not the guest has one but is using a different payment. Hell, you give some guests 7+ coupons out of that damn Catalina thing. You know who they are! Other payments were prevalent in Q1 where some people explained they were paying off the charges they accrued for the holidays. Another convenient excuse I get is "My spouse has it" or "I left it at home after shopping online this morning".
3. Team Member Discount presented? Transaction shouldn't count. Target TMs all know how important Red Cards are. We're just trying to go on break. My store has an unwritten rule that we are allowed to not ask other TMs out of respect for their time.

Target, if you want more success at selling Red Cards, you need to look at the context behind the numbers. This brute force way of going about it is burning out your staff. Replacing us like cogs isn't going to solve the problem.

Our store has a 25%-30% penetration rate. How are we supposed to get MORE Red Cards.

I agree with being able to check these metrics. Target can seem to come up with metrics for everything else, so why can't they put time into this in order to get more accurate counts??[/QUOTE]

Sadly all of that is tracked already but spot doesn't use it or in my opinion care. In there eyes pay with red cards means more money to them then someone using a visa or MasterCard

My store has started coaching sales floor TMs over not getting redcards when they're backing up. It's so stupid.

5 sessions is no where near enough...

Very true.
At least a dozen are required for stabilization, with the first one being extra long for an assessment to gain a baseline.
Yes, having someone to talk to is better than nothing, so if it is all you have, use it but it's really just a band aid.

Are stores still supposed to badger guests about RCs? I've been in 3 different Targets (1 store more than once so I could use more than 4 of the same coupon) and not a word about applying. It was really nice:)

Honestly, there's a difference between just saying "Will you be saving 5% today and every day with a Target Redcard" and actually genuinely asking. I'm not even saying to put on a fake voice or anything like that, but you'd be surprised how much easier it is to get a consistent one per shift when you give them the information in a positive way while still primarily focusing on getting them the hell out of your line :)

Also 5% off is a much better deal than almost all credit cards. My Target doesn't code as a grocery store so there are very few credit cards in my area that would allow me a better deal, even without my discount.

I've always been steady with red cards and the easiest way is to just bring it up with every guest and be friendly. I don't work a cashier shift often, but if I am on the lanes for more than a little bit I usually get at least one red card. Most of your guests will say no and if they seem pissy about it just drop it and move on. If they seem interested throw a few more of the benefits in the conversation and feel them out.

Quite frankly, if you are a cashier and you aren't consistently asking you are not following your core roles.

I've always been steady with red cards and the easiest way is to just bring it up with every guest and be friendly. I don't work a cashier shift often, but if I am on the lanes for more than a little bit I usually get at least one red card. Most of your guests will say no and if they seem pissy about it just drop it and move on. If they seem interested throw a few more of the benefits in the conversation and feel them out.

Quite frankly, if you are a cashier and you aren't consistently asking you are not following your core roles.

Also, know how to make signing them up a quick process and the minute it look like it isn't going to be get some more people to back up the lanes.
I can't tell you how many people I've heard bitching about getting stuck behind someone who decided to get a card and it taking forever.

Our team morale at our store is way down and I mean way down..... I mean I get it we are supposed to get Red cards but I can tell people aren't happy as they used to be. One TM even snapped at someone ( under his breath) saying I hate this place so much it's joke when they said you didn't get enough red cards you'll get coached later on today ( not sure if he did or didn't) the pressure to get red cards and the coachings ( thankfully I haven't yet) but the threats are scary enough...... I can see why the morale is down and people are starting to hate the place ( myself included) Maybe just maybe if they cooled it with the coachings it wouldn't be so bad but when you make threats honestly it drags the entire team down. As long as you ask and you try and as I said sometimes they do sign up and sometimes they don't but holding it against someone that's the part that drags people down. Get it or else!! As long as you asked that's all that matters:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back