Quick question but when you pick and pack more orders before 1:00 does the system still drop more than if you were didn’t touch anything? I know that happened during Q4 and I’m pretty damn sure that it’s still happening. I’m the quickest and picking and packing and will regularly pack a cart while I have less than 20. But after that cart is finished then I’ll get like 60 more orders. While other team members have commented that when I’m off people on SFS are slower and have way less carts than I do to pack. If I’m far quicker than picking and even finished a cart beforehand I shouldn’t be rushing to finish minutes before the packing cutoff time.

Quick question but when you pick and pack more orders before 1:00 does the system still drop more than if you were didn’t touch anything? I know that happened during Q4 and I’m pretty damn sure that it’s still happening. I’m the quickest and picking and packing and will regularly pack a cart while I have less than 20. But after that cart is finished then I’ll get like 60 more orders. While other team members have commented that when I’m off people on SFS are slower and have way less carts than I do to pack. If I’m far quicker than picking and even finished a cart beforehand I shouldn’t be rushing to finish minutes before the packing cutoff time.
It only happened during 4th quarter and it shouldn’t be happening right now. You can check if it’s an actual thing by opening the hourly report (Workbench< Store Reports< SFS Hourly Desktop Report< look at backlog column). If there’s anything in the backlog column for your store, then it’s dropping more when you pick/pack on time.

It only happened during 4th quarter and it shouldn’t be happening right now. You can check if it’s an actual thing by opening the hourly report (Workbench< Store Reports< SFS Hourly Desktop Report< look at backlog column). If there’s anything in the backlog column for your store, then it’s dropping more when you pick/pack on time.

Thanks. Just checked and is it called ‘Units Held Upstream?’

I can say my store isn't having that right now, since I tend to double batch my first picks then pack, then I get help in and she will pick like a madman while pack to open carts back up. We do get a drop of orders about 11-12 but nothing like would happen in 4th quarter.. Maybe batch not another 100 like we expected then..

Maybe the person who writes the schedule actually pays attention to the forecast and schedules you on the heavier days?

Maybe the person who writes the schedule actually pays attention to the forecast and schedules you on the heavier days?

They admitted to doing which makes complete sense and I don’t disagree but it’s frustrating how consistent it is especially when I ask for help on some days I get a response of “oh this TM was able to do it on their own so you should be able to” when I have far more orders, have the least amount of INF’s with the most picks and pack better than anyone else. Yeah I’m sure I could finish really quickly if I INF half a batch and throw an item in a box with 2 air bags.

SFS and Target sucks.

Oh and another quick question I guess, does anyone ever actually have the correct amount of forecasted hours scheduled for SFS? I saw on July 4th we were forecasted 24 hours and only got 8. A team member and I both working half shifts.

The thing that always cracks me up is when ETLs don't understand the concept that more orders drop in throughout the day.

"What's Ship From Store looking like?"
"I have 10 tasks left in my batch right now, and there's 23 more DPCIs in there."
"You told me you were at 0 earlier."
"More orders dropped in."
"But you told me you were at 0."

It's like explaining it to a child.

The thing that always cracks me up is when ETLs don't understand the concept that more orders drop in throughout the day.

"What's Ship From Store looking like?"
"I have 10 tasks left in my batch right now, and there's 23 more DPCIs in there."
"You told me you were at 0 earlier."
"More orders dropped in."
"But you told me you were at 0."

It's like explaining it to a child.
I hated it when they asked me at 7am if I would need help to get it done on time. Gee, let me get out my crystal ball and see what’s in these batches, how long it will take to pick them, and how many more will drop in by 1pm.

Every damn day.

Anyone with UPS know why null [usually followed by a letter like x, c, etc...] appears near the top of collates? They were a rarity now the majority have them.

Also anyone care to link to the site showing the future logistics process with pre-sorted racks being wheeled off of trucks?

Last edited:
unknown.png

Lol GSTLs don't even call them out at our store, just the LoD
Lol I don’t even understand why GSTLs need those alerts. It’s not like they’re going to pick the new FA.

The LOD needs to stop calling it out every second when we get the alert. If nobody starts working on it, then call us on the walkie but you know, we get alerts too. We definitely appreciate the time for telling us the three individual alerts separately under a 5 minute period.

They usually tell us about it 5min after it's already done. Or they'll see us walking into the FA closet with our cart, leave with the cart empty, then walkie us about it 10min later.

We have to call out the new orders at my store. We have a few flex TMs that just completely suck at their job and the ETL overseeing them refuses to fire them. 1 TM never remembers to turn on her alerts and just checks the system when she remembers. She also can never remember how to use the equipment properly and claims its broken. I told her to prove it once she just stared at me. Then I asked to to try re-connecting so that I could see what the problem was. Again, just stared at me and then asked how. ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? I could go on but I might give myself away.

If my store called out every new FA nobody else would be able to get a word in!

But that would require LOD actually knowing that there are FF alerts, and considering I'm 99% certain that only the log ETL and the STL know that we actually ship from store, I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of my store's executive team didn't quite know what an order pick up is. Yes, they are that out of touch. And yes, their incompetence bugs the hell outta me.

Out of all the days, the LOD kept calling “who’s got the FA alert” for every single alert 10 minutes after the alert. I would respond every single time and most of the time I was just put into hold.

What do you guys think is a reasonable amount of time to pack one box/order on average?

We've got a sudden flood of new hires and today they were basically our openers and mids, i was told to jump in and help them if i felt that they'd fall behind and not hit goal, but at 2pm they were starting packing and it was a measly 70-80ish tops to pack between 3 people. With our goal being 4:30, i figured 2.5 hours between 3 people was plenty of time, 30 orders a person, probably 5ish mins per order ish right. with that many orders i could hit goal by myself with time to spare, even on days im screwing off i could squeeze it off honestly.

Well i get back from break at 5:15 and see that our lone tm is still packing, check the zebra and theres still 32 orders to pack! That means that within those 3+ hours, between 3 people, they managed 50ish orders.

I just don't get it, we've had people who had never pack before roll in and manage better times. Packing is literally the one thing we teach everyone in the store to do because SFS becomes hell during 4th quarter, and its the easiest task to pick up on.

@DavidorJared for a new hire, still in their first week, I’d be good with 5 minutes/box since they’re still learning the box sizes, tape sizes, where supplies are located, etc. Then maybe 3 minutes/box for the next month, but after a month they need to be doing 1-2 minutes/box.

The problem is they have zero sense of urgency when not supervised. They start packing, thinking “oh wow this is easy” and put some music on and talk amongst each other. Then the goal time hits and their shift is up and they just leave.

You have to stress how important it is to get it done on time, and when explaining why, make sure to say it in a way that shows how it affects them (because they may not care if it gets their boss in trouble). “When we don’t hit goal times, that sends red flags up at the district and higher offices. The STL and ETL will get an email about it and they will respond by micromanaging every little thing about SFS.” “If we miss enough goal times, corporate could decide to severely cut back on our order flow or even cut it off entirely, resulting in huge cuts in hours for you.

A forecast for 750ish units with about 6 people everyday isn’t enough payroll for my store to pick everything. I don’t know how you guys did it with soo many units. We’re drowning in rolling units from the previous days.

Check the actual units received, or get the LOD to add SFS to their closing email. I'm willing to bet you're over forcast and you have 3 options, get store support to get on track, get someone in for the current day or next day, or manage through INF. We had a lot more units than normal drop in late in the evening this past week. I'm guessing that with the 4th in the middle of the week more people took the entire week of so we were mimicking a Sunday Monday flow pattern all this week.

Yeah I’m sure I could finish really quickly if I INF half a batch and throw an item in a box with 2 air bags.

Oh and another quick question I guess, does anyone ever actually have the correct amount of forecasted hours scheduled for SFS? I saw on July 4th we were forecasted 24 hours and only got 8. A team member and I both working half shifts.

We're a store that is consistently over forecast. I schedule to the forecast, if you know how long things are going to take to pick a batch with no errors and with things properly located then time every cart based on that and yes manage not being scheduled properly through INF. I'd rather people get the low hanging fruit first than blow payroll because we found everything. It's literally a 180 from the ETL before me. They focused on finding everything even when the store was a disaster area. TMs spent 80 min looking for a $5 softlines item. Now people know spend the time if they have it on the unlocated iPad and if they can't find it partner with AP not the inexpensive items. Don't poorly pack things as there's another metric you might not even know about that is based on complaints or returns from receiving items damaged. Usually for us it's multiple items with not enough pillows.

I hated it when they asked me at 7am if I would need help to get it done on time. Gee, let me get out my crystal ball and see what’s in these batches, how long it will take to pick them, and how many more will drop in by 1pm.

Check the sales, assume average times, work from there. The forecast is a pretty good indicator plus or minus 3 hours. If we start the day heavy it's not likely to get better so if we're at 40% to forecast by 7AM we're going to need help, we had a callout we're going to need help or to call someone in the next day early. The other option is managing volume through INF, not my preferred option, but it's what needs to be done sometimes. It's not complicated to figure out and leaders should know it, literally nothing Target does is at its core is complicated. It's just important that all parts work together.

We have to call out the new orders at my store. We have a few flex TMs that just completely suck at their job and the ETL overseeing them refuses to fire them. 1 TM never remembers to turn on her alerts and just checks the system when she remembers. She also can never remember how to use the equipment properly and claims its broken. I told her to prove it once she just stared at me. Then I asked to to try re-connecting so that I could see what the problem was. Again, just stared at me and then asked how. ?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? I could go on but I might give myself away.

We have one ETL that will call out orders but they also know we've had connectivity issues in the network and a couple MyDevices that don't have sounds for alerts, they have sound for picking just not alerts IDK but it's a thing. At least they are trying. I set a timer for 15 min and only call it if it's still there then.

What do you guys think is a reasonable amount of time to pack one box/order on average?

Packing is literally the one thing we teach everyone in the store to do because SFS becomes hell during 4th quarter, and its the easiest task to pick up on.

These values are based on my experience on Pack1.0, I haven't timed anything for Pack2.0 but was told it adds 30-45 seconds a box.

Brand new people should average at least a rate of 7-8 per hour. After a little practice it should be up to 15-18 per hour. Experienced people should be at 20-25 per hour, if you're at or above 25 per hour that rate of speed isn't going to last for more than 1.5-2 hours.

If you have multiple new young people at the pack stations I'm willing to bet they are talking to each other. All of our younger first job people will stop packing when they talk, or they will hold onto something and turn to the person they are talking to.

It's a generalization, but the women at my store can talk and keep the pace up where the men can't so I let whoever wants music play what they want as long as it's family friendly. If they want headphones they can have it in one ear. When I pick the music I just put on a Pandora pop workout station, they are usually songs above 120 beats per minute.

I hate the phrase sense of urgency, it's dumb business speak that people don't understand. It's not a sense of urgency it's a core competency you were hired to do, they are being complacent because eh "what's going to happen if I'm 'doing' my job" and the opposite is being concerned about a deadline, not a feeling of urgency. If you can't do your job in the time given, based on reasonable expectations then either you're getting written up or not making it past your 90 days. Sense of urgency should be saved for scrambling to prepare for a visit, it should not be an every day feeling or you're going to burn people out. Save the mindless MBA speak for that those classes don't try to use it on team members.

Last edited:
Back