Because of our successful run of 211 orders on Thursday, STL asked and had our limit increased to 220 today and we're adding a fifth person... for the next two weeks.

Oh boy, Oh boy
7285.jpg

Oh boy, Oh boy

Two hours in and 110 collates have printed thus far with more printing as I walked away from the pack station. After our first order limit increase I started using a flat with one child location instead of three tier carts.

We were still using our 3 tiers, but opted for a "dumping ground" solution, which was just a flat where we'd leave our oversized stuff. I couldn't imagine pushing a flat around the store to pick things. Pushing a 3 tier is difficult enough.

I couldn't imagine pushing a flat around the store to pick things. Pushing a 3 tier is difficult enough.

It may be a pain turning down some aisles (A.S.A.N.T.S.) but it's personally a breeze for me and we made it work. My legs are conditioned from near daily cycling so pushing a flat is nothing.

You will want the three tier when the cyber Monday deals start and guests are allowed to order softlines again...

5iS58Dj.gif

It may be a pain turning down some aisles (A.S.A.N.T.S.) but it's personally a breeze for me and we made it work. My legs are conditioned from near daily cycling so pushing a flat is nothing.

5iS58Dj.gif

Our store isn't set up in a way that pushing a flat through it quickly would be advisable. I've come pretty close to colliding with folks while using the smart cart. If I ran into someone using the flat, well, that would not end well [Oops, sorry about your ankles]. But, I like hearing how someone of you are coming up with creative solutions to perfecting SFS. We have 7 Smart Carts, and I've made up a couple "overflow/emergency" cart tags (Parent/3 childs), so we can grab an extra smart cart or two from the backroom, as necessary. I guess we could use a tub or flat with those just as easily.

I had a lurker tell me an interesting way their store does carts: they labeled them all as single hold locations. One cart has 4 single hold locations (one for each tier and the handle): SHP ZA01, SHP ZA02, SHP ZA03, SHP ZA04, then the next cart would be starting at SHP ZB01, etc.

So no more scanning the parent location and no more getting that annoying cart is in use message. If an order gets stuck, they put a note on it and put it aside so they can continue using the cart. If they need to pick, but all the carts have stuff in them, just grab the cart with the most room and add another batch to it.

I'd be so tempted to try this if it wasn't so crazy right now.

I had a lurker tell me an interesting way their store does carts: they labeled them all as single hold locations. One cart has 4 single hold locations (one for each tier and the handle): SHP ZA01, SHP ZA02, SHP ZA03, SHP ZA04, then the next cart would be starting at SHP ZB01, etc.

So no more scanning the parent location and no more getting that annoying cart is in use message. If an order gets stuck, they put a note on it and put it aside so they can continue using the cart. If they need to pick, but all the carts have stuff in them, just grab the cart with the most room and add another batch to it.

I'd be so tempted to try this if it wasn't so crazy right now.

Not following. It asks to scan a parent when you start a batch (unless you jump into a new one right after finishing one). How is this different? Our three tiers have three locations (child hold locations) and a parent tag. We don't have a fourth for the handle, just scan the top tier for stuff we hang on the handle.

Not following. It asks to scan a parent when you start a batch (unless you jump into a new one right after finishing one). How is this different? Our three tiers have three locations (child hold locations) and a parent tag. We don't have a fourth for the handle, just scan the top tier for stuff we hang on the handle.
When it asks to scan a parent location, you can scan any single hold location instead.

The main difference seems to be that you can use any cart at any time, regardless of if an order is stuck in there or if someone just finished packing from it.

Anyone know how to order packing supplies and have it rush delivered? We're down to the bare essentials and placed an order two weeks ago. Still no box pallets. We tried ordering again on BF. When it comes, it's gonna be ALOT of pallets of boxes.

Still lost. If you wanted to not close a cart instead make:
Cart 1 SHP ZA: ZA01-04
Cart 2 SHP ZA: ZA05-08
Cart 3 SHP ZA: ZA09-12 etc.

Anyone know how to order packing supplies and have it rush delivered? We're down to the bare essentials and placed an order two weeks ago. Still no box pallets. We tried ordering again on BF. When it comes, it's gonna be ALOT of pallets of boxes.

Your ETL-Log would be in charge of that.

Still lost. If you wanted to not close a cart instead make:
Cart 1 SHP ZA: ZA01-04
Cart 2 SHP ZA: ZA05-08
Cart 3 SHP ZA: ZA09-12 etc.
I assume it would be confusing as fuck to have different carts with the same letter but different numbering schemes. You'd have to read the label every time to figure out which collates go with which carts.

When it asks to scan a parent location, you can scan any single hold location instead.

The main difference seems to be that you can use any cart at any time, regardless of if an order is stuck in there or if someone just finished packing from it.
That could be good for flats/tubs, but could be problematic with smart carts. I like that most batched orders are usually in one cart, makes it easy to pack. That solution sounds like you could possibly put a big order in multiple carts. I would have to see it in action. I'm still not sold.

That could be good for flats/tubs, but could be problematic with smart carts. I like that most batched orders are usually in one cart, makes it easy to pack. That solution sounds like you could possibly put a big order in multiple carts. I would have to see it in action. I'm still not sold.
You can already split a big order into another cart by hitting start a new cart (I think it's called that) when you pick an item.

This method sounds like it just gives more flexibility to be able to scan any item into any location for any reason.

I'll try it myself when things calm down in January and let everyone know how it goes.

There should be instructions on workbench under the SFS page. But basically your ETL needs to go into SAP, find the order, and request a rush on it. It will cost several thousand dollars and the store will be charged out for it.

Be careful when you audit for ordering, the cut-off is either sunday or monday, can't remember which. But if you end up ordering on a Tuesday, it'll be 10 days from the cut-off, not from your order date.

Be careful when you audit for ordering, the cut-off is either sunday or monday, can't remember which. But if you end up ordering on a Tuesday, it'll be 10 days from the cut-off, not from your order date.

i don't know the official order date, but it could be another week before we see the order? Damn. This is going to suck. We'll definitely be more diligent about ordering going forward.

I assume it would be confusing as fuck to have different carts with the same letter but different numbering schemes. You'd have to read the label every time to figure out which collates go with which carts.

That lurker's method will be a bigger pain if someone had to back out, re-enter, then skip all those INF again... for each cart. My hypothetical one at least keeps that skipping in one cart technically speaking. That being said I wouldn't use either method.

That lurker's method will be a bigger pain if someone had to back out, re-enter, then skip all those INF again... for each cart. My hypothetical one at least keeps that skipping in one cart technically speaking. That being said I wouldn't use either method.
Wait what? It wouldn't be any different than having to back out and go back into a batch with parent/child hold locations.

The way I think it would look like is exactly the same as we have carts now, but with the parent hold label removed and no more "hold location in use" messages. We get at least one order per week where it ties up a cart for days because the collate never prints and we have to call the CSC and wait several days for them to push it through or cancel the order.

Last edited:
Wait what? It wouldn't be any different than having to back out and go back into a batch with parent/child hold locations.

The way I think it would look like is exactly the same as we have carts now, but with the parent hold label removed and no more "hold location in use" messages. We get at least one order per week where it ties up a cart for days because the collate never prints and we have to call the CSC and wait several days for them to push it through or cancel the order.

Going from SHP ZA to SHP ZB wouldn't prevent any "hold location in use" errors that could occur or maybe I just don't get it. Not saying you're wrong I just don't understand is all.

Back