You can do that. You are within your rights to do that. I can also have more pressing needs on your next shift than busting through the service desk line and taking care of the guests who are just there to pick something up or have a question when I'm not in a pick. That would be within my job duties to take care of other things if need be.

No, I don't ignore the line at the desk when not picking. Just saying that I could without problem normally.

you don't really seem like the kind of person we'd want as a guest advocate anyway, so

You can do that. You are within your rights to do that. I can also have more pressing needs on your next shift than busting through the service desk line and taking care of the guests who are just there to pick something up or have a question when I'm not in a pick. That would be within my job duties to take care of other things if need be.

No, I don't ignore the line at the desk when not picking. Just saying that I could without problem normally.
No one would expect you to. No flex ™ at my store helps guests at the SD, even when there’s a line, because first of all, they’re not trained, but even if they were, they havemore pressing tasks for their job. I don’t expect them to hop on any more than they expect me to start picking.

What RCJJ described is placing an order, as a guest. There’s no reason they can’t and shouldn’t do that (I personally don’t do it often, only when there’s an online deal)

If I’m putting in an order and there’s a line for Pickup, I’ll most likely help out. Feels nice to just stand after running around like a mad woman all day. As for OPUs from my fellow team members, I tell them they are free to place one after I leave or when I go on lunch.

For guests, if its super quick like scan something or look something up sure, but a backroom pull for a guest? Yeah I am calling the TM for that area and making them do it. At guest services if they get backed up and I have downtime, I flip over and pull people out of line picking up orders. My register ID doesn't even work anymore so I can't help other guests but it helps when you take two or three people out line and get them out the door.

No one would expect you to. No flex ™ at my store helps guests at the SD, even when there’s a line, because first of all, they’re not trained, but even if they were, they havemore pressing tasks for their job
What RCJJ described is placing an order, as a guest. There’s no reason they can’t and shouldn’t do that (I personally don’t do it often, only when there’s an online deal)

I mean I kind of am expected to help guests at the desk and I am trained to do it. Since I only do OPUs my role is to help out the rest of the store where needed when I don't have a pick active. Even on days with 150+ OPU units during my shift, there are downtimes because OPU orders are clustered at certain times of day and dead at others typically.

Occassionally, a lead will tell me to do X when I'm not picking, but I'm mostly free to determine for myself how to help out the rest of the store. Since I'm at the front so often, I normally help at the front. Grab guests out of line who just have questions, want to apply for a RedCard, or are there to pick something up. Do a quick carryout. Take care of a cashier with a blinker on when the GSTL is busy as 95% of the time they just need someone with a device or walkie. I won't hop on or process a return because that could get me stuck, but anything else to help out, keep guests happy, and make having to call TMs from other workcenters up I'll gladly do.

But, I don't have to do it. I can decide there are other things that need doing around the store and do them. With payroll what it is now, there is always something else that someone doesn't have time to do, but I might. And, I might at times be more interested in doing those other things because they ultimately make doing OPUs easier or the TM who is behind is a friend or covered my lunch, or whatever.

When I say do your own clothes shopping to TMs, I'm half joking. On the one hand, you are free to order whatever you want in your capacity as a guest. On the other, you know that softlines slows us down. Scratch my back and I'll scratch yours here.

I don’t expect them to hop on any more than they expect me to start picking.

We'll see. I'm currently being asked to train all cashiers and GSTMs on the basics of picking. The directions are very unclear from above if they will be expected to actually do any of it when needed though. I really hope not.

I admit i order softlines a lot for store pickup because whenever i go shopping we never have my size on the floor and our sl gals suck at finding product in the back. You know who will find it???? My opu/sfs team. Cuz we rock!

I admit i order softlines a lot for store pickup because whenever i go shopping we never have my size on the floor and our sl gals suck at finding product in the back. You know who will find it???? My opu/sfs team. Cuz we rock!
If it's like my store for clothes that are folded, they just toss them into the wacos and never scan them in. You never know what you'll find back there with the RFID.

We'll see. I'm currently being asked to train all cashiers and GSTMs on the basics of picking. The directions are very unclear from above if they will be expected to actually do any of it when needed though. I really hope not.
Front end will do OPU and DRU picking from now on, so they will have to know how to do it and will be doing it. Flex will only be doing SFS now.

According to who? I’ve not seen this anywhere.
We have been doing it this way since we got drive up and started modeenization last year. Sfs only helps out when it gets crazy in opu. The opu/du person is a front end person who helps at gs and covers breaks up there. Sfs had to train them all.

My store has been outsourcing OPU to someone in hardlines or what’s left of backroom the last few days. That someone was already trained for OPU, they just got moved to a different workcenter.

We were told last year that front end was supposed to take over OPU, but our sfs team is still doing it.

Last edited:
That would sure make my life easier, as it seems that I get a mad rush of OPUs from 3-4:30 as people get off work, and they fall at such intervals that I'll put one up at GS, get back to the backroom to work on packing for the deadline and another one drops the second I open Pack & Ship again, repeat as needed 😔 but then again I don't want them taking part of my job away ...

According to who? I’ve not seen this anywhere.
According to the modernization guide. It says they will be fully in charge of pick ups, both picking and fulfilling. We already moved one of our sfs team members to the front end to be OPU/DRU person for night time, other front end people will take care of morning time. I don't have a copy on me but it did say on there.

Anything that involve logistics metrics and shyt will fall under the GM TL that oversees Fulfillment stop it! Might still be a case of ASANTS.

guest advocates are supposed to be entirely focused on the guest and helping provide them with the best guest experience possible. picking orders is counter intuitive to that. the modernization guide for service and engagement does state that S&E owns drive up and order pickup, but it means the guest facing portions of it only. processing order pickups at the service desk and bringing drive up to the guest in the parking lot.

guest advocates are supposed to be entirely focused on the guest and helping provide them with the best guest experience possible. picking orders is counter intuitive to that. the modernization guide for service and engagement does state that S&E owns drive up and order pickup, but it means the guest facing portions of it only. processing order pickups at the service desk and bringing drive up to the guest in the parking lot.
This is how i interpreted as well. I do not see anything that says GS will be picking orders— that wouldn’t make sense. We have to stay at GS.

Back