Archived Flow Team Leads - What are your best tips for training team members?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Afternoon, y'all

I'm a Flow TL and I'm pretty much starting with a brand new team. I could use advice from any Flow TL veterans who've had success with training team members on both quickness on the line during the unload and on the salesfloor when stocking. Anything you could offer would be appreciated. Thanks!

Not a TL but I've been on flow for ~3 years now and I can share my observations and hope they help you out. Can't offer much with the stocking part since i'm only around for unload these days mostly.

Learn how to pace the line. I cannot stress this enough. It's hard to put concisely into words but while you want the line to move at a decent speed, don't focus on speed above else. Force boxes out the trailer and down the line too quickly and you get a mess as things fall off the line (especially if you have an older, crappy line pieces), bay TMs scrambling to grab things that have passed them by, while also trying to grab things in their bay while also trying to grab things their neighbor's handing them who is also trying to run their bay and a general mess. Our current Flow-TL just rams things down and throws boxes to people it is freaking stressful. If you don't have TMs dedicated to pulling pallets this will especially be an issue.

Quickness is going to take time because a lot of it comes from repetition and experience. For example, for half the boxes I handle on the line or in breaking out I don't need to look at the pick label. I can just tell by looking at it what pallet to put it on or roughly where in what aisle it goes down. But that took weeks or months to learn. If you pay attention to your team you'll learn who is faster at what tasks and can place them accordingly. For example, we've got a TM who is decent at pulling pallets and working pulls but if you put them on the line they're going to muck it up by picking up every. single. box. to hold it right up to their face to read the label yet somehow miss a third of the freight that goes in their bay.

Also, don't put completely fresh TMs in the first bay, even with help. It's just going to be a mess. Some of my worst unloads were trying to run the first bay, pull PIPOs out of the trailer and keep the line moving while also explaining to a total newbie how to read pick labels and all the weird exceptions to the blocks and repacks.

Not a TL, but as a flow TM my first recommendation is to lead by example, like not asking someone else to do what you are not willing to do yourself. That goes a long way IMO.

As for training...I don't think it helps when the trainer 'hovers'. Show them what to do...and let them do it, but make sure they understand they can ask questions about anything at and any time. When you notice mistakes, don't wait to correct them, but doing so in a way that shows them the correct way to do it. Not just saying "don't do it that way" or "that isn't right". Why isn't it right? Explain the why to them and show them physically how to do it.

Since you said you are starting with basically a brand new team...make sure they understand the urgency during unload. Speed. Our team has people that have been with the company on on the team for 5-10 years and they are slow as hell because they figure "it will get done, eventually". Or they let someone else pick up their slack and that other person will because they realize the line will get backed up, etc. Tell them to speed up, urging them to have more urgency, does nothing. With a new team, you should have better luck to get them started on the right foot. If you are running around at a good speed...they'll see that and (hopefully) emulate it. We always have music going when we do unload...which seems to help the energy a bit. Upbeat music...not country or classical or something. lol.

That's all that comes to mind at the moment...

Yeah, I'll just tell them that if they work REALLY slowly then I'll have no choice but to extend them and they'll get more hours. That'll work.
If your team is anything like ours you'll get half "sure I'll take the extra hours, I'll stay all day if you want me too" and half "I'm leaving when I'm scheduled to leave."

Cross train other tms to the line in case of callouts and attrition. Nothing effs up a shift like a disorganized unload.
So much this. Our unload today had TM who had never scanned fumbling around with a PDA and having no idea what they were doing. And all the times one of our 3 unloaders called in and somebody was nominated for tribute had to learn unloading on a 2000 piece truck? Fun times.

9EF6CAEE-5CBC-403B-8F25-0718F9741CC2.png On good training:
I completely agree with explaining the big picture and WHY things are done a certain way. Giving a brief overview of the process, or how your role fits in the store is EXTREMELY helpful. Target has a different way of organizing duties within the store, and how teams interact with each other than other retailers. Explaining how this works is a good way to start.

I always recommend using a checklist of some sort. I know Target used to have training brochures, but since 'all stores aren't the same' it may be helpful to create one specific for your store's processes. Doesn't have to anything fancy, but if you're going to be training people a lot, it'll be nice to have so you are consistent from trainee to trainee.

The recommended training at my company is:
-Tell: Tell the trainee what you are doing and why it's important
-Show: Show the trainee the task you want to complete. Explain what you are doing while you are doing it.
-Do: Have the trainee confirm understanding by having them complete the task
-Review: Provide feedback to the trainee.

Most people respond to positive reinforcement more so than negative reinforcement. Be positive, and point things that they are doing well, but be constructive when correcting someone.

Always let the trainee ask questions!

bullseyekindaguy

If your team is anything like ours you'll get half "sure I'll take the extra hours, I'll stay all day if you want me too" and half "I'm leaving when I'm scheduled to leave."

So much this. Our unload today had TM who had never scanned fumbling around with a PDA and having no idea what they were doing. And all the times one of our 3 unloaders called in and somebody was nominated for tribute had to learn unloading on a 2000 piece truck? Fun times.

There are stores that still scan the trucks. I’m so jealous!

I learned line on a double truck day, back when we only got them once a year. First truck was 2,300 second was 1,900 pieces.

Urgency, push to piece, accuracy. Lead by example is most important.

Wow a push all store?? I don't know how you all do it. :eek:
We've had to do that with doubles before...because the ETL or TL screwed up receiving/opening the truck. It's a nightmare...all push 5500-6000 piece double during 4th quarter. So. Much. Backstock.

I couldn't do it every time though...that would get really annoying for how much backstock we are sent (at least 300 cases a night, usually more than 500).

We've had to do that with doubles before...because the ETL or TL screwed up receiving/opening the truck. It's a nightmare...all push 5500-6000 piece double during 4th quarter. So. Much. Backstock.

I couldn't do it every time though...that would get really annoying for how much backstock we are sent (at least 300 cases a night, usually more than 500).
we've been push all for years. With one or two doubles a week all 4th quartet I thought I wad gonna see some epic rage quitting.

We had a couple push all trucks one week because some TM who know too much decided to save time by acknowledging FDC trucks early and acknowledged the GM trailers early instead. Because I guess there's some report that just lists the trailer numbers or something.

We had a couple push all trucks one week because some TM who know too much decided to save time by acknowledging FDC trucks early and acknowledged the GM trailers early instead. Because I guess there's some report that just lists the trailer numbers or something.
Yeah acknowledging those trucks is a BIG deal. That function should only be done by TL's/ ETL's, as they pretty much "set the tone" for any replenishment process.

n00b question--so, this weekend, I'm listening to walkie chatter about FDC trucks--how are they scheduled, exactly, and how does variation in that affect the stores? First night, the truck was late, or they were trying to find the driver or something, until maybe an hour after the truck was scheduled. Next day, walkie chatter was all about the truck arriving an hour early and calling all hands to get it unloaded. It always seems to be a big deal and market team gets big kudos when its done.

FDC is perishables, right? I've been trying to get that from context clues.

n00b question--so, this weekend, I'm listening to walkie chatter about FDC trucks--how are they scheduled, exactly, and how does variation in that affect the stores? First night, the truck was late, or they were trying to find the driver or something, until maybe an hour after the truck was scheduled. Next day, walkie chatter was all about the truck arriving an hour early and calling all hands to get it unloaded. It always seems to be a big deal and market team gets big kudos when its done.

FDC is perishables, right? I've been trying to get that from context clues.

Times can vary based off when the trailer gets picked up, what stores are en route and when their arrival time is then ultimately how long it takes to unload. Some days I can unload in 20 minutes other times it takes up to an hour becuase they just shove the pallets anywhere it seems or there’s just no room to maneuver.

Add to that we’ve had an odd array of drivers not from our area and one of them said they are short a couple of trailers due to mechanical issues on top of being 48 drivers short this season. Poor southern guys can’t handle the colder weather. :cool:

Our entire group is push all. From the D volume stores all the way up to the AA.
Does a lot of your freight actually replenish the store or do you get a ton of backstock. I'm not sure if Push Audits are still done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back