Archived Follow Ups

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello again guys. :)

After having no luck with Target, I waited a few months and continued the job hunt elsewhere. However, my attention has turned back to Target. I applied to a different location a little over a week ago, and have heard no response back from them.

I was wondering, is it okay to follow up through a quick call to the store of interest? I know this is never as simple as it used to be, and people today seem to be split 50/50 over whether it is a good idea to call employers after applying. I haven't pushed like that any other time I've applied to Target, but I feel I should speak up now to show my interest. I don't want to be annoying, but I really feel I am a qualified candidate.

If there were any alternative means like email or other, I would go that route, but I don't know if individual target stores have an email address.

Thank you! :)

Hello again guys. :)

After having no luck with Target, I waited a few months and continued the job hunt elsewhere. However, my attention has turned back to Target. I applied to a different location a little over a week ago, and have heard no response back from them.

I was wondering, is it okay to follow up through a quick call to the store of interest? I know this is never as simple as it used to be, and people today seem to be split 50/50 over whether it is a good idea to call employers after applying. I haven't pushed like that any other time I've applied to Target, but I feel I should speak up now to show my interest. I don't want to be annoying, but I really feel I am a qualified candidate.

If there were any alternative means like email or other, I would go that route, but I don't know if individual target stores have an email address.

Thank you! :)

If you live close by, I think you should just drop in to the office & ask the person there if they can check to see the status of your application.

Dress nicely enough that you don't look like a slob & be friendly & I'm sure they will be pleased that you are showing a real interest in joining the team.

You have nothing to lose & everything to gain.

If you know someone who works at Spot, have them tell the HR people to pull your application for review.

If you don't know anyone, then you can call, but you may or may not get through to anyone. At my store, we are trained to tell you that if they are interested, they will call you...we are not to put those those calls through to HR. If you show up, that's even more annoying. You can show up and politely insist on speaking to someone in HR if I try to give you the, "they'll call you if they're interested" line. But then I just go back and tell them that you won't go away and need to be placated, and that could count you out altogether.

This, of course, varies by store...but our store's HR will talk to current TMs, will barely tolerate new TMs with issues, cannot stand dealing with potential interviewees needing accommodations, and do their best to avoid applicants at all costs. YMMV

Thank you both for your answers. I see that it does vary by store, but I'll probably stay on the cautious side for now.

This is why I like to listen to people actually in the business than many of the job/career advisers I see out on the internet. You guys know what goes on within Spot. :)

I believe I specified "Anytime" for the whole week, including the default Days/Nights/Weekends. I may have even put evenings. I think my availability was why they didn't call me earlier in the year. Now I'm just a bored 18 year old looking for something to do over the summer, preferably job experience. Target has always seemed preferable to me over Wal-mart.

I would pop in, dressed nicely, and ask for the HR manager. It's his/her job to talk to potential employees. So why not?
Do you have a resume? It's always nice to give them something physical they can take back to their desk so they don't forget who you are. That's why business people have business cards.

I actually called in to my store to ask about my application, and was able to set up an interview right then and there. Communication in my store sucks though, so I had to call in almost every step of the way.

As an HRTM, I really appreciate when people call and I always have the operator patch them through to me. It helps the selection process when rifling through application after application. I want to know that the person we're calling for an interview cares enough about the job to put more than 15 minutes into the application process. It's indicative that they'll be less likely to flake for an interview/orientation, and more likely to stick with the job once they get hired.

Open availability is key. We rarely looked at applicants who didn't have open availability, which is faulty because Target should be able to work around your schedule, especially if you have another job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back