Foodservice and Starbucks Dress Code...

Specifically regarding all in-store foodservice and Starbucks positions--

Target is experiencing some re-branding, utilizing the upgrade of an appearance renvention with a company-wide remodel-- creating a brand new and even iconic look and feel throughout the entire in-store shopping experience... and customer-facing positions can wear jeans now, too.

I'm generally LOLing @ the block against any jewelry except a simple or minimalistic wedding ring/band:
*(Dear Steritech: )
  • gloves can cover/protect rings and nail polish
  • frequent and when-needed handwashing
  • all jewelry has the same fall risk as glasses
  • majority of tasks revolve around the hands and mental focus: awareness, knowing, and feeling are naturally heightened
  • a very detail-oriented position like foodservice means strong focus and an incredible amount of attention being paid
  • if I can pass a "shake test," the jewelry is secure. (vigorously shake part of body donning jewelry- if the jewelry falls off or falls out of piercing, it is not safe)
  • a septum piercing, especially when wearing a closed bead or seamless ring, is more secure than wearing glasses
  • I can shake my head quickly and my glasses will fly off my face
  • I can shake my head even harder and faster, and my nose ring still hasn't moved, fallen out, or attempted to eject itself
  • I don't touch any part of my face or body while I'm preparing/serving food or creating a beverage- no excuse for jewelry falling out
  • I'm not rubbing or physically touching things on purpose with my face on people or things at work- no excuse for jewelry being knocked or bumped out into food
  • - if the jewelry falls out of the piercing or off of my body into the food, I would very obviously remake the food or drink (see mental focus above)
  • - - if I knock my nametag off of my chest and it falls into the food or drink, I would also very obviously remake or re-prepare the food or drink.
  • - - - this, even if it does occur, would be incredibly rare, and most especially if I am well-trained and condifently practiced/skilled and positively competent in my job skills/roles
I know and have seen plenty of baristas, bartenders, servers, and kitchen staff who have piercings and wear their jewelry at work regularly without any issues or complications.

7242 7243 7244 7245 7237 7239 7240 7241 7246 7247

Last edited:
It’s not like it is a new policy that just rolled out. Every team member that gets interviewed for those work centers is told the expectation. They make a choice to follow it or not, Target makes a choice to employee them or not.

I actually do not disagree with you on some of those points. Face piercings are usually pretty secure. Big gauges in ears the same. The nail polish/fake nails and stones in jewelry ban seems pretty reasonable though.

Last edited:
I worked at Borders and our baristas looked like just about all of those pictures plus more evolved members.
We never had any issues.
I did in a bar/restaurant where a bartender who had fancy nails lost one in someones drink.
Now that caused a ruckus.

True, but I would have to hit or bump my head on something to knock an earring out or lose a piece of jewelry from whatever body part carries the jewelry. I know it’s an overall safety and thoroughness thing, though, no jewelry, no chances of it falling into food or drinks being made. I just think I would definitely notice the loss or it falling out at all, even controlling/influencing the loss so that it would fall to the floor or other sanitizable surface and not create a food or drink loss. And then pocket it and wash my hands, even mid-rush.

I worked at Borders and our baristas looked like just about all of those pictures plus more evolved members.
We never had any issues.
I did in a bar/restaurant where a bartender who had fancy nails lost one in someones drink.
Now that caused a ruckus.
OMG Borders was my favorite job to date. I'm still sad they don't exist anymore and Barnes and Noble does.

I have to agree with OP on this one, at least for Starbucks. The rules against jewelry are supposed to be for food prep, which Starbucks doesn’t do. Same goes for hats.

I have to agree with OP on this one, at least for Starbucks. The rules against jewelry are supposed to be for food prep, which Starbucks doesn’t do. Same goes for hats.

tbh we only wear hats when the DM is in store or during Steritech (or Ecolab now) visits 🤐

tbh we only wear hats when the DM is in store or during Steritech (or Ecolab now) visits 🤐
I wear mine all the time and it's difficult to get my team to wear them without asking. It's not something I want to document so they know they can get away with it. I even bought them Starbucks visors so it's easier on their hair.

I wear mine all the time and it's difficult to get my team to wear them without asking. It's not something I want to document so they know they can get away with it. I even bought them Starbucks visors so it's easier on their hair.

we have a hat bandit at our store, so mine went missing. plus i don't want to deal with hat hair for the rest of my shift when i'm just covering a break in sbux lol

I would definitely notice my whole earring falling out of my lobe— my ears are stretched to 1+1/4,” and usually wear solid opalite glass teardrops. It’s just a bit more weight and momentum than just the back of an earring that could magically wiggle itself loose without being touched or bumped and more likely than not simply falling to the floor and not into a drink being made, as my eyes, hands, and mind are carrying my attention more than anything on what I’m making without touching my ears.

I know this thread is a year old now, but I am one of the people you posted photos of (2nd photo). I am actually a shift supervisor and would like to add that I have more piercings then that now. In total i have 12 between my ears and facial piercings and my store manager hasn't really made comments at all about them.

When I visit other stores though, the SM's have made statements about removing them, so to further add -- it is fully up to the store manager and DM. That being said, I always advocate for what is normal for my home store and have never been made to take them out at work.

Starbucks is very lax if you don't make a big deal out of it and ask about the dress code when hired.

I can agree that sometimes it gets very annoying when clients complain that I have accessories like rings or earrings. Really very annoying and I support the opinion that it is worth changing the rules because they prohibit too much. I know this is kinda of track but I really like rings and Last year I decided that time was coming and I started to search for a ring for my future wife. My search was hard because I wanted to find the perfect ring for the love of my life. I thought I would never find a perfect wedding ring but my friend told me about a place that he found online. Place where you can order a custom engagement ring. I made my order and after one week I already had the perfect engagement ring. Guess what, she said yes. Now she is saying that one of the reasons she said yes was that ring. I am really glad that i found this place.

Last edited:
I can agree that sometimes it gets very annoying when clients complain that I have accessories like rings or earrings. Really very annoying and I support the opinion that it is worth changing the rules because they prohibit too much.
Anything that can trap germs or fall into food should be a no-no in food service. It's a hygiene issue, common sense. The long fake nails sported by one of our Starbucks TMs irk me, as does the fact that she puts the sleeve on cups by picking the cup up by the rim. Why are they not taught to keep their hands off the rim of the cups and the drinking spout of the lids?

Back