Archived freezer/refrigerator issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Quickart

Cart Magician turned GSTL
Has anyone else here been through a freezer failure? Tonight at our store the main compressor/condenser/whatever it's called that runs all refrigeration failed. Keep in mind I work at a super so we have a crap ton of stuff to try and save. This all started a couple hours before we closed when the alarm went off. We dismissed it as usual thinking someone left a door open but soon relized this was different. A half hour later we had the whole sales floor team over in grocery cardboard and saran wrapping the coolers in an attempt to keep everything at temp.

This would have been well and good but I am at a store that is essentially in the middle of nowhere so a refrigeration tech couldn't come until 3 hours after this started. We let the FDC know what was up and they said that if we don't have this fixed soon that they would route the truck back to the FDC and keep the merchandise. That is another fun fact, our FDC is over 500 miles away so if everything fails we won't get enough to fully restock for at least 2-3 days.

I am hoping that everything gets fixed but when I left our freezers on the floor that should normally be negative were already at 36. Not a good sign. I am getting ready to apologize like none other to every guest tomorrow when I go in...

Try having no power in coolers/freezers for 3 days. Then having no pda's or a/c during this time. We had fun fighting the clock & lost in the end. But, we were not defeated, just real tired. We came up with the unique ways to record to the inventory loss during this time. I can't say how we did it, too much info.
Hopefully, your leadership followed the flip chart & store guidelines book, 100%. You should be ok.

A good SFT could have diagnosed the problem and either replaced the faulty - relay / capacitor / censer's --- if the main condenser motor needed replacement - he could have gotten everything ready to go for the guy with the CFC license - otherwise known as -- "The A / C guy" --

A good SFT - would get a general CFC certification his own ?

O / P -- No full store generator in your store ???

SFT's aren't allowed to touch refrigeration, I don't think........ But I had the condenser one night go down around 7pm right out of remodel. Called FMOC/STL/ETL-Remdel and it was like they were scrambling to figure out what to do. FMOC ended up calling a Tech and they said, three hours. Not much you can do other than issuing the doors stay closed etc..... The tech ended up coming in within 25 minutes as I goes they were coming the next day to do tune-ups and final adjustments. Well, needless to say that NO ETL nor STL would come in so I got a second lunch that night and overtime. I didn't leave until the Flow Team Leader got in at 4am the next morning.

Last edited:
I have when I worked for spot but its been a long long time (over 1yr), one of my favorite TL's tried calling me in on my day off when I was on a lake fishing.....

We have a generator but it only works if the power goes out. The only backup we had in this case was for the walk in coolers and freezers. We don't have anything for the floor units.

We have a generator but it only works if the power goes out. The only backup we had in this case was for the walk in coolers and freezers. We don't have anything for the floor units.

Partly true -- one day a week a load test should be done ----- and if for whatever reason - the power coming from the grid can be cut off or bypassed and the store run on the generator --

Ask your SFT - when the generator are on line --- backroom walk-ins / all floor coolers / A / P office / select front-end registers and about 1/3 of the stores lamps are on ---

A good SFT could have diagnosed the problem and either replaced the faulty - relay / capacitor / censer's --- if the main condenser motor needed replacement - he could have gotten everything ready to go for the guy with the CFC license - otherwise known as -- "The A / C guy" --

A good SFT - would get a general CFC certification his own ?

The OP said "tonight" so the SFT was probably already done for the day.

And I'm betting there was something wrong with the Einstein if EVERY cooler/freezer on the floor was malfunctioning. In a super, that would be a lot of individual systems to fail.

In a super, that would be a lot of individual systems to fail.

Yes it would -- I know that -- I are in one --- got that Spot
rofl.gif

We had a complete power outage last year and we don't have a full generator (landlord issues makes it too expensive, so I was told)
Two days of throwing everything out and power washing the coolers racks etc.
Fun, fun, fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back