Archived Frustrated ETL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, so first post here not sure how to exactly start but here's my story and question to current/former ETLs.

I am a Service and Engagement ETL, got hired straight out of college, and been in this position for 7 months. I studied Business and Consulting in college and I was excited about this role thinking it would be a great experience, having my own team, running a multimillion-dollar business, gaining management experience, etc.

However, I am feeling frustrated with the amount of manual labor we do as ETLs, the obsessive micromanagement from my store director and how they speak about team members. My store director barely lets me spend time with my team, always using me as extra help to push, merchandise, backstock, pulls, presentation, planogram, SFS, etc. I definitely do not mind helping, some manual labor, working along with the team but 90% of my time is spent in other departments of the store and always get stuck with the market push and stressing to make goal times in SFS and I can barely spend time doing things related to my position.

Also, the store director is always giving numerous task at once when I haven't even partially completed the other two they already gave me. Another thing that bothers me is how they sometimes speak so badly about team members, profanity, calls them useless, numerous profanities, etc. Making mistakes will land TMs in their sh*t list. The HR ETL is just as bad in how they view TMs as insignificant beings and couldn't care less about them. I get that we have to run a business and look after target first, but c'mon, is it really necessary to speak so badly and putting people down to make yourself feel better? Both store director and HR ETL have their favorite TMs but talk so much garbage on the rest of the team, it is sickening. THIS PARTICULARLY UPSETS ME. I am a firm leader who expects things to get done but I REALLY care for my team, and not just the ones that are under me but the entire store team. So many always come to me for help because the HR ETL always gives TMs attitude, rolls their eye, or just says "I'm busy". Every time a TM has an issue, I try to solve it right then and there if possible, not avoid them and send them away. I have TMs begging to be switched to my dept. because of how I treat them. Truly, I feel bad for how the SD and HR ETL treat the team.

Then there is working weekends, holidays, being told that Q4 you won't see family or friends.
Lastly, the company has some seriously unrealistic expectations from team members with this whole modernization and new store ops. Is waaaaaay too much work for the very little payroll they are willing to give stores. Our store is one of the best in the district, but still, the workload for the team is unrealistic and overwhelming.

I feel I did not go to college so I could do so much manual labor and work all holidays and half my weekends (I get it.... is retail, and is definitely probably not for me). Anyone experiencing anything similar? or any EX ETLs with advice on how to get out? I have no truly have no intentions of staying after Q4.

I don’t blame you for wanting to leave, sounds like your store is retail Hell, and your management team is making it that way. Start looking for a new job now and when you find one put in your two weeks notice. Honestly, if you are leaving anyway don’t subject yourself to the horrors of Back to School and Q4. It’s not worth it, and there are better and less stressful jobs out there. Good luck.

Such a shame the management team is making it so miserable to work there. At my store we have wonderful management and they make it fun to come to work. We gripe and laugh all day long. The work expected is truly unrealistic but we do the best we can do. I am only a "expert" but I have never heard anyone talk derogatory about another team member. I am sorry about your situation and it sounds like the store is rotten from the top down.

Welcome to TBR!

First, what may be some crushing news for you. Target doesn't hire people right out of college for these ETL roles because they are the best or the brightest, they hire them because they are the cheapest. Look around your district, how many ETLs came from out of the company with previous retail experience? I'll guess not many because that experience would cost Spot extra.

Second, I feel bad that the recruiters sold you a bad bill of goods when it came to working for Target. I always thought that was the case and you have helped to confirm that.

Now to your situation at hand.

While I appreciate and respect Leadership who will do the grunt work, I realize that is not their primary function. Once Modernization started, our last STL literally was on the sales floor 90% of his time in the store pushing or zoning. I thought, don't you have actual STL work you should be doing? He gave 2-weeks notice 3-weeks before Thanksgiving to go work in financing.

Current store management all seem to balance their time in the store better, but because of hours, the store is not functioning the way it should.

You are young, you have a college degree, and the job market is still a relatively hot one. Each day two of those things come closer to ending. So, get out of Target as soon as you can. Polish your resume/C.V. and start hitting the job sites, your old college's job center, friends, family, wherever and whatever, to get leads on openings to apply for.

Do it NOW! BTS is here and your free time will be rapidly evaporating from here on out.

Good luck on finding something new and getting out.

Two types of teachers in life...those who show you what works and how to do it, and those who show you what not to do. Both are valuable. Lol...

So now you know what not to do. Trash talk is just unprofessional.

And you can avoid it easily.

Spot culture is to set the bar high. It kinda does work, and the real metric will always be sales.

Such a shame the management team is making it so miserable to work there. At my store we have wonderful management and they make it fun to come to work. We gripe and laugh all day long. The work expected is truly unrealistic but we do the best we can do. I am only a "expert" but I have never heard anyone talk derogatory about another team member. I am sorry about your situation and it sounds like the store is rotten from the top down.
I've read so many stories from TMs about how awful their leaders are - like you, I'm lucky in that our leadership team is overall pretty good, with a couple of really great TLs. That makes all the difference. I may not always agree with what leadership focuses on, but they are good people.

You clearly weren't a fit for retail. Your store's leadership and culture suck...no other way to put it. Neither of which YOU can change, particularly if your store is doing well. I don't know if going over your SD's head would help.

I'd suggest just sucking it up for the next 5 months to get in a full year and move on.

I honestly don’t understand why hq thinks we need an etl to focus on just front end. Compared to the gm etl it’s a pud job. That’s probably why the SD has you doing so many other things. (Lots of stores went from an etl over Hardlines, softlines, and front end to 3 different etls). The SD doesn’t think it’s enough of a job for 50 hours a week. I think front end etl should also have elect and beauty.

Hey I’m an ETL- you should not be doing so many tasks. You should be doing some tasks to help TMs, and on things that legit need help, but not just pushing all day. Only do tasks if it benefits your team and helps you spend time with them. Mostly I do it to set the pace and make them smile/ help them know I’m there for them. Majority of your time should be delegating resources, leading your team, planning, and dealing with problems. Your SD sounds like a huge problem at that- and should NEVER speak about his team like that. Try reaching out to HRVP about your concerns because you shouldn’t be feeling like this at all- an HR ETL should know better. Working for Target is a great job right out of college so even if nothing changes- get a year of experience and switch! Its super common for college grads to switch quick. It’s your career and you have the right to make it positive and beneficial to your growth.

Last edited:
Keep an eye open for new opportunities with another company. To an extent, what you are describing is not unheard of at Target but most SDs are much more cautious and professional in their choice of words describing individual rank-and-file TMs.

Mistakes were made... They got you hook line and sinker with that fancy “executive” title. Brush up the resume and gtfo as soon as possible it’s only going to get worse for you when 4th quarter hits. You’re nothing more than an overpaid grunt who gets none of the credit when things go right and all of the blame when things go bad. I’ve heard ETLs and TLs openly bash team members, make fun of their disabilities, and single out lists and lists of people who “got to go”. Keep your dignity and get out while you can.

Most of your frustration is exactly how team members feel especially the micro management and favoritism. It is what it is right now. Sure you should be spending 80% of your time delegating, training and coaching but that is just not reality anymore. Some stores have figured it out, but most haven't. If you are unhappy in July, you had better start putting in applications before 4th quarter hits. Hours are long from Nov 1st until the first few weeks of January. You will kiss your family good bye in early November. Thanksgiving will not be spent with your family but at Spot Extended hours suck. Working short staffed every single weekend (call offs during 4th quarter are insane) will wear on you fast. And if you have an immature leadership team (which it sounds like you do) it will be a nightmare.

Thanks for all the responses guys. To address some of the comments, I actually do have a pretty decent salary (more than most of my friends in my same field) so at least I am not underpaid. My fellow ETLs and SD (except HR-ETL, that person's moods swing more than a swing set) are nice to me. My SD just micromanages the living soul out of me and is almost impossible to please, they are such micromangers and controlling that I am not allowed to make my team's schedule =/ . The SD just demands unrealistic results, and, I wouldn't say they are immature.... just mean towards TMs who they don't like/can't meet their unrealistic workloads. The SD even makes comments about wanting to make a TL cry. For example, We already started setting BTS (we are having the TMs come overnight) and I feel they have made great progress already, but the SD was cussing and angry that the progress made was not "enough".

I am definitely looking for new opportunities in the Consulting and Tech fields. I have made powerful connections while serving on the university's board, networking with alumni, and being very close with all my professors. Is just a matter of going through the applying process I guess. Just unsure if waiting until next year to get my bonus is worth it or not.

Last edited:
Hey I’m an ETL- you should not be doing so many tasks. You should be doing some tasks to help TMs, and on things that legit need help, but not just pushing all day. Only do tasks if it benefits your team and helps you spend time with them. Mostly I do it to set the pace and make them smile/ help them know I’m there for them. Majority of your time should be delegating resources, leading your team, planning, and dealing with problems. Your SD sounds like a huge problem at that- and should NEVER speak about his team like that. Try reaching out to HRVP about your concerns because you shouldn’t be feeling like this at all- an HR ETL should know better. Working for Target is a great job right out of college so even if nothing changes- get a year of experience and switch! Its super common for college grads to switch quick. It’s your career and you have the right to make it positive and beneficial to your growth.

Hey, Thanks for this! This exactly how I feel our job should be. Yes, there will be times we need to be helping the team more than usual but it shouldn't be the expectation that we push freight our entire shift every day. I love being involved with my team, mentoring them, building them up in whatever they have planned for in life (whether at target or elsewhere), TMs are always reaching out and I try to always assist them. So, naturally I hate always being pulled away from my team. Is like I have no autonomy, I am not even allowed to make their schedule smh.... As for contacting the HRBP, I honestly think is more trouble than it is worth. I believe it would come out to bite me in the rear end quite swiftly.

I love the pressures, it makes me perform, harder and faster. My wife seems to enjoy it too, angry sex 2-3 times a week.

I thought that was funny the first time you used it.
Now I'm meh about it.
It's not funny enough to be a meme.

please stop talking about this so inappropriate and unchristian

It's a joke, albeit an inappropriate one.
And for those of us who aren't christian, making that argument really is tone deaf.

Thanks for all the responses guys. To address some of the comments, I actually do have a pretty decent salary (more than most of my friends in my same field) so at least I am not underpaid. My fellow ETLs and SD (except HR-ETL, that person's moods swing more than a swing set) are nice to me. My SD just micromanages the living soul out of me and is almost impossible to please, they are such micromangers and controlling that I am not allowed to make my team's schedule =/ . The SD just demands unrealistic results, and, I wouldn't say they are immature.... just mean towards TMs who they don't like/can't meet their unrealistic workloads. The SD even makes comments about wanting to make a TL cry. For example, We already started setting BTS (we are having the TMs come overnight) and I feel they have made great progress already, but the SD was cussing and angry that the progress made was not "enough".

I am definitely looking for new opportunities in the Consulting and Tech fields. I have made powerful connections while serving on the university's board, networking with alumni, and being very close with all my professors. Is just a matter of going through the applying process I guess. Just unsure if waiting until next year to get my bonus is worth it or not.
Hey, Thanks for this! This exactly how I feel our job should be. Yes, there will be times we need to be helping the team more than usual but it shouldn't be the expectation that we push freight our entire shift every day. I love being involved with my team, mentoring them, building them up in whatever they have planned for in life (whether at target or elsewhere), TMs are always reaching out and I try to always assist them. So, naturally I hate always being pulled away from my team. Is like I have no autonomy, I am not even allowed to make their schedule smh.... As for contacting the HRBP, I honestly think is more trouble than it is worth. I believe it would come out to bite me in the rear end quite swiftly.
thats so strange- we make our schedules because we know their strengths/ enjoyments the best. The thing about target is that your experience truly depends on your SD and just the store itself

I thought that was funny the first time you used it.
Now I'm meh about it.
It's not funny enough to be a meme.

It's a joke, albeit an inappropriate one.
And for those of us who aren't christian, making that argument really is tone deaf.
Anything can be funny enough to be a meme if used often enough. I’ll stop using it to cater to people’s sensibilities.

Anything can be funny enough to be a meme if used often enough. I’ll stop using it to cater to people’s sensibilities.

True enough.

But thanks for that, I was getting a little tired of the reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back