Archived Get ready

Status
Not open for further replies.
The quantum level of awesomeness of that pun in this situation is unquantifiable.

So the beginning topic of this post was incorrect. Target is not cutting hours in Logistics... Currently a lot of Stores are giving hours from other workcenters to Logistics in an effort for the store to make payroll. Target is getting ready to have certain stores participate in a payroll test. These stores were chosen by the Group Leaders who know which stores in their groups are running effective Logistics processes. The details haven't been passed down yet but the idea is that these stores will track actual times that it takes to complete tasks and the company will reevaluate payroll allocations and RWT to reflect these findings. For example RWT gives too much time to work backroom batches and HBA repacks but too little time to Softlines and Cosmetics. They also realize that carton counts do not accurately reflect workloads as not all areas take the same amount of time. I'm not sure how this will turnout but the bottom line is that they most likely will allocate more payroll to logistics (maybe less to B/R day) and then can utilize the cashier and salefloor fill to need based on sales to accurately give stores the payroll they should be using.

I hope that transitions come into play as many months we miss payroll due to transitions for the next month and then the next month make the month by hundreds of hours. Knowing that freight does not arrive the day that it sells is part of the allocation issue.

So the beginning topic of this post was incorrect. Target is not cutting hours in Logistics... Currently a lot of Stores are giving hours from other workcenters to Logistics in an effort for the store to make payroll. Target is getting ready to have certain stores participate in a payroll test. These stores were chosen by the Group Leaders who know which stores in their groups are running effective Logistics processes. The details haven't been passed down yet but the idea is that these stores will track actual times that it takes to complete tasks and the company will reevaluate payroll allocations and RWT to reflect these findings. For example RWT gives too much time to work backroom batches and HBA repacks but too little time to Softlines and Cosmetics. They also realize that carton counts do not accurately reflect workloads as not all areas take the same amount of time. I'm not sure how this will turnout but the bottom line is that they most likely will allocate more payroll to logistics (maybe less to B/R day) and then can utilize the cashier and salefloor fill to need based on sales to accurately give stores the payroll they should be using.

I hope that transitions come into play as many months we miss payroll due to transitions for the next month and then the next month make the month by hundreds of hours. Knowing that freight does not arrive the day that it sells is part of the allocation issue.

read first sentence, how bowt no?

edit read whole post...okay maybe they are reevaluating...but are they really going to say that it takes longer than we previously thought?

They will probably reevaluate at the lowest of low volume stores that has the most stacked team in the country and take their best time on a good day and say "By gosh, we have actually been giving TOO MUCH payroll...cut cut cut!"

Last edited:
They will probably reevaluate at the lowest of low volume stores that has the most stacked team in the country and take their best time on a good day and say "By gosh, we have actually been giving TOO MUCH payroll...cut cut cut!"

There is a variety of store involved. Ours is an A volume Super Target. I'm not saying they're going to give the stores lots of hours but are trying to give them what they need. Our team does a great job but still overspends by hundreds of hours a month. Target's not going to cut hours from Logistics when most Logistics teams are horribly overspending. They're just trying to prevent stores from using all of the salesfloor hours to staff Logistics.

well if that's the case, then good on them. It's a running joke at my store when we are understaffed and they give us like 4 hours total to work a 2800 piece truck. Everybody knows it's impossible, and everybody loses respect for the leadership everytime they give us a bs goal time. Maybe it's their jobs to repeat what they are told, but most of the team I work with is rather insulted. If target is trying to fix the problem, excellent...

however i'll believe it when i see it.

Does anybody else's STL steal from other workcenters? Our logistics team is in the top 10 in the region for productivity (hours spent per truck), but it's inflated because often times players are scheduled under POG or taken from the BR to push the truck.

EDIT: I used to be on that flow team, and the team we had when I started 3 years ago could run circles around the team that's there now, but we were never anywhere near that rank in productivity.

um who cares if they are lying, cheating, and stealing hours. That top 10 placement is all that matters, given your process is also GREEN!

um who cares if they are lying, cheating, and stealing hours. That top 10 placement is all that matters, given your process is also GREEN!

But backroom productivity is in the bottom 10%! I wonder where all those hours are running off to... hmm....

that's funny! But I think I can help...

Just maintain flow scores, and improve backroom scores so that they are top ten as well. And no, we are not in the business of giving you extra resources, just use what you have!

Only cutting down on wasteful hours? This past SATURDAY, our A volume store closed with 1 person on the salesfloor, 1 person in softlines (who had to cover Starbucks, cashier, guest service, and GSTL breaks, so basically they weren't in softlines at all), one GSTL, 2 cashiers, 1 guest service, no electronics, and the LOD. It was hell.

Does your logistics team do the ad too? There is a store in my district that does it. That store is "a"volume store.

Only cutting down on wasteful hours? This past SATURDAY, our A volume store closed with 1 person on the salesfloor, 1 person in softlines (who had to cover Starbucks, cashier, guest service, and GSTL breaks, so basically they weren't in softlines at all), one GSTL, 2 cashiers, 1 guest service, no electronics, and the LOD. It was hell.

Something smells fishy.

Something smells fishy.

Must be that fish oil I've starting taking. It says that it's odorless and controls fish burps, but I'm not so sure about that...

But anyways, I agree, something is up. Every area of my store has been cut to the bone, but our leadership says we're devoting more hours to cashing (and that's why I'm only getting cashing shifts even though my primary workcenter was recently changed to Hardlines). :confused:

Must be that fish oil I've starting taking. It says that it's odorless and controls fish burps, but I'm not so sure about that...

But anyways, I agree, something is up. Every area of my store has been cut to the bone, but our leadership says we're devoting more hours to cashing (and that's why I'm only getting cashing shifts even though my primary workcenter was recently changed to Hardlines). :confused:

This situation is actually what Target is trying to fix! A big majority of our stores reallocate hours to workcenters for their own specific needs... If your STL is logistics focused they may allocate more hours to the replenishment workcenters and steal from the salesfloor or front end! Others might go the other way... What Target is doing is making you schedule to the actual NEED of the trucks! If the truck calls for 110 hours and backroom needs 60 to finish backstock and autofills, that is what you are going to get from my understanding! You can't rob from peter to pay paul!

My BS detector is going off. ULV's don't even operate with no boat coverage. We'll have boat coverage with no salesfloor, but not vica versa.

This situation is actually what Target is trying to fix! A big majority of our stores reallocate hours to workcenters for their own specific needs... If your STL is logistics focused they may allocate more hours to the replenishment workcenters and steal from the salesfloor or front end! Others might go the other way... What Target is doing is making you schedule to the actual NEED of the trucks! If the truck calls for 110 hours and backroom needs 60 to finish backstock and autofills, that is what you are going to get from my understanding! You can't rob from peter to pay paul!

^^^^^THIS^^^^^ They will be taking it one step further though. Spot will also 1) cut hours and ask the team to have the same productivity with fewer overall hours (meaning you have to have a faster more efficient team) OR 2) extra tasks will be added to the logistic team work load. From what I am hearing (1) seems the most likely scenario. All I was saying is get ready, the winds of change are blowing. Keep in mind, when I say fewer hours, I'm not talking huge slashes. Look for 5-8% depending on the day of the week. Heck, on my stores team, if you cut out redundant smoke breaks that would make up the hours.....and that is exactly what spot is looking for. Efficiency, productivity, and accountability.

It can be possible during a certain period on a weekend for like 3 hours.
My past saturday was this between 2 & 4pm, with some call outs.
Backroom:
1 tm
Softlines:
Operator & 1 sl tm on the floor
Hardlines:
1 electronics tm, & me. Pfresh tm left early due to hours.
Frontend:
2 cashiers, 1 gs, 1 fa, 1 starbuxs, ca, & awesome Gstl!
1 etl & lod, who covered all salesfloor when front end got real busy.
I survived it! Beer was good on sat night.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^ They will be taking it one step further though. Spot will also 1) cut hours and ask the team to have the same productivity with fewer overall hours (meaning you have to have a faster more efficient team) OR 2) extra tasks will be added to the logistic team work load. From what I am hearing (1) seems the most likely scenario. All I was saying is get ready, the winds of change are blowing. Keep in mind, when I say fewer hours, I'm not talking huge slashes. Look for 5-8% depending on the day of the week. Heck, on my stores team, if you cut out redundant smoke breaks that would make up the hours.....and that is exactly what spot is looking for. Efficiency, productivity, and accountability.

I do agree with you, insite. Most of my team doesn't smoke. We were cutting back hours on regular tm's & still hiring. All the tl's are over task & have no tm's to help out. I might do what spike grouchy did, step down.

We've had a few hires for summer but we're still not seeing any more hrs.
The cuts have been across the board, too, so it's not likely that hrs are being shifted to high-demand areas.

What really pisses me off the most is these new batch of leaders at my store. I am constantly having to either teach them how to do their jobs, doing their jobs, or forcing the other team members to do their jobs. One of them recently asked me how to print up substitution signs, out batches, and even the idiotic "How do I make a sign?".

We have a senior team lead who has trouble going from 7 to 8 while counting. Yes, you read that right, apparently the ability to get from 7 to 8 is no longer a requirement when they are looking for leadership. It took them three tries to get it done when counting team members. It was deadly quiet because we couldn't believe that this was happening.

But my favorite thing about this new batch of leadership has to be the disconnect from reality because they spend so little time on the floor. They told us we have to ask everybody if we can help them find something and then we have to call it over the walkie. Yeah, the problem with that is that there are only two members on the salesfloor and everybody else pretends to not have a walkie. So the electronics team member usually ends up doing all of hardlines while the fitting room operator does all of softlines. Now they are upset with us because our electronics score is in the red. Which of course leads them to berating us for doing what they told us to do. Whenever somebody calls out for help in electronics, it takes three calls to get a response on anything.

Its the motto. Expect more, pay less. Not for the guest for the team members. I'm a stickler for best practice. I've spent some time in the military so I'm all about rules and standards. You give me a sheet that says exactly how I'm supposed to do something and I'll get it done. Best practice says two team members are supposed to do instocks on weekends, but I'm the only one scheduled? Sure, I'll ask CIHYFS and I'll catch calls. Push reshop? Na.

Heres the thing. We need technology. Working PDAs/LPDAs and working walkies. If you can't provide us that you are already failing us. We need competent leadership. We need ETLs to be supervising, not working. Its nice, but when they are busy building end caps, they seem to loose the concept of the store. We need people. Its BS that I'm scheduled instocks and you expect me to scan the whole store, push reshop, give guest service and cover electronics? I'm pretty good, but I'm not that good? Fast, fun and friendly? Yeah, you are probably going to get 2 out of 3 and I'll let my ETL pick.

I know I come on here and gripe so much, but damn. Its redicilous. You're going to tell me that we don't have enough people that can work on weekends because of avability? Oh well, tell them we don't have enough hours during the week and we need to push more on weekends. You want to keep 40 hours? You're going to have to work five of them on the weekend. I've done the math. I could work the schedule so that everybody works one weekend day a month and we can have more people on the floor. But of course, then it boils down to the "we don't have the hours." Well, this whole Vibe crap is based on the belief that if I go out of my way to give excellent guest service to make sales (which has the biggest goals on the weekends), but you have one team member working A, B, C, and D, how much Vibe can I get? /Rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back