Archived Getting rid of Cafes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My store opened in 2014, and we have both. I don't know what they would replace Cafe with, since the city and state refuses to grant us a liquor license because we're too close to an elementary school, and California doesn't require a separate liquor section anyway; most stores have it out on the sales floor.
Did they explain their reasoning? The state may refuse to grant a liquor license to stores within 600 feet of a school, but they don't have to, or even necessarily usually do, and such licenses are granted all the time. When I was in middle school, there was a traditional liquor store and a 7-11 with a liquor license both right across the street. I live across the street from an elementary school right now, and there are at least three liquor stores, four bars, and a grocery store that sells spirits within 600 feet. When I worked in the liquor section of a wanna-be import store, we were less that 600 feet from a high school. There's a pretty new Target near me (so their liquor license is brand new) that sells spirits and is across the street from an elementary school, and within 600 feet of both a high school and a middle school. There's also a grocery store next to said Target that sells spirits. My dad works at a Walmart less than 600 feet from the elementary school I attended as a kid, and they recently got their license for spirits. The state may be allowed to deny liquor licenses on these grounds, but they definately don't do so universally.

Also how do they get a bottle cap lock off???
The ones we used when I sold liquor were different than the ones Target uses, but sometimes I'd just brute force them because they liked to jam. If you were strong enough, you could put the bottle on the floor and use your back muscles to yank them off. I'm also pretty sure that, with sufficient time, I could pry them off with a pocketknife.

Did they explain their reasoning? The state may refuse to grant a liquor license to stores within 600 feet of a school, but they don't have to, or even necessarily usually do, and such licenses are granted all the time. When I was in middle school, there was a traditional liquor store and a 7-11 with a liquor license both right across the street. I live across the street from an elementary school right now, and there are at least three liquor stores, four bars, and a grocery store that sells spirits within 600 feet. When I worked in the liquor section of a wanna-be import store, we were less that 600 feet from a high school. There's a pretty new Target near me (so their liquor license is brand new) that sells spirits and is across the street from an elementary school, and within 600 feet of both a high school and a middle school. There's also a grocery store next to said Target that sells spirits. My dad works at a Walmart less than 600 feet from the elementary school I attended as a kid, and they recently got their license for spirits. The state may be allowed to deny liquor licenses on these grounds, but they definately don't do so universally.
It was more the city refusing to issue the liquor license, and they say there's an over saturation of businesses that sell liquor in the area.

My state doesn't permit (hard) liquor sales any where but licensed liquor stores so, even tho our store sells beer & wine, I'd be surprised if we were licensed to sell hard liquor in-store.

There’s literally two plastic tabs keeping the whole thing together. Pull and twist and it breaks. We pay an awful lot for these things btw.

There’s literally two plastic tabs keeping the whole thing together. Pull and twist and it breaks. We pay an awful lot for these things btw.
o_O?!

Edit: bottle cap locks, I presume.

Last edited:
I dunno if it's just me, but it seems like when I do the food orders maybe a fourth if any of the things I order come in. It's become a recurring problem. Order 8 boxes of popcorn, get 6, order 5 boxes of chicken tenders, none come. It took us 3 months of ordering every single week to get one Hi-C bib.

I'm convinced a lot of orders go to the wrong store. I had a bunch of name tags come to my store for a store 1 number different than ours.

Half the names werent even at my store we don't have a "Tyquesha"

Last edited:
I dunno if it's just me, but it seems like when I do the food orders maybe a fourth if any of the things I order come in. It's become a recurring problem. Order 8 boxes of popcorn, get 6, order 5 boxes of chicken tenders, none come. It took us 3 months of ordering every single week to get one Hi-C bib.
This.
We'll order things we're out of, things we're nearly out of & things that we just need to keep on hand.
We'll get maybe 1-2 of the items we're low on, NONE of what we're out of but a TON of what we don't really need.
Makes me wonder if, like HRZone said, if we're getting another store's order.

You’re all getting the correct orders, they just aren’t sending everything because they might not have it.

If you’re ordering 8 cases of popcorn and only getting 6, there is probably an order cap on it or something like that. For soda, chicken tenders, etc - they might not have it at the DC to send to you, so you need to order it multiple times to get it.

The original Food Aves were pretty popular at my higher volume stores. But at my lower volume store it was Busy/Slow/Busy/Slow.

If stuck at the store, there was nothing better than a burger/fries or breakfast.

But after the grill/fryers were removed, the only thing keeping FAs open was the popcorn and drinks/Icees.

The main problem with FA was there was too much overhead with promotional items or items that didn't sell well.

For orders, look What @Xanatos mentioned.
I can’t recall the number of times I had called the DC cause OOS items for months. Be careful when you do multiple orders, sometimes, I’ve noticed at my house, if the item replenished, DC will not only send you the new order qtys, but also the old order since they were OOS. Lets just say one week I had 15 cases of hotdogs come in and 12 of the chicken strips. Ahh, fun times.

I looked under 2018 remodel but I didn’t see anything about what stores were getting what part remodeled.

I looked under 2018 remodel but I didn’t see anything about what stores were getting what part remodeled.
I'd have to see it again to know the exact wording, but there are a few different cycles (they may have used the word "flight" instead of cycle) of stores; one group of stores in early 2018, one in spring, etc. Somewhere, there are like 4 spreadsheets with a bunch of stores listed and what they'll be remodeling. I don't think the first set of stores listed details, but I know the second and third spreadsheets said exactly what was getting remodeled in each store, including a section for cafe closure.

I'd have to see it again to know the exact wording, but there are a few different cycles (they may have used the word "flight" instead of cycle) of stores; one group of stores in early 2018, one in spring, etc. Somewhere, there are like 4 spreadsheets with a bunch of stores listed and what they'll be remodeling. I don't think the first set of stores listed details, but I know the second and third spreadsheets said exactly what was getting remodeled in each store, including a section for cafe closure.
I remember seeing those spreadsheets but I don’t think they said what was happening

Food Ave is a huge money pit in my store and is closed all the time since people call out and there’s no coverage. However, it’s illegal to sell alcohol in grocery stores in my state, so I doubt they’ll take it out since we can’t replace it with a liquor section.

Our cafe is slated to be taken out, and a new, larger guest services will take its place. Then we are supposed to get some self-checkout lanes where guest services was. We already have a Starbucks, and are unsure if we will lose the cafe completely or get a small express counter.

They announced a remodel for our store at huddle today. Sounds like we will probably be losing the cafe, but it either hasn't been decided yet or they're not saying what will replace it. ETL said it could be a liquor store, could be an expanded deli, etc. Liquor stores require a separate entrance, but that should be doable in the existing cafe space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back