Archived GM2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have information on this position? Primary responsibilities. Things to consider. Believe this is a key-carrier lead too.

I understand ASANTS. Assuming the core responsibilities will be consistent store to store. Was offered the possibility of taking this role. Would be my first TL role. Have Logistics, Salesfloor and POG experience. But, all before the modernization transition started. Been Backroom/Ship since 4th quarter. We're low vol. ($20mil).

Worried mostly about having time to plan everything for transitions and juggle main concentration areas. Wish we had stronger TMs in pog too.

Anyone have information on this position? Primary responsibilities. Things to consider. Believe this is a key-carrier lead too.

I understand ASANTS. Assuming the core responsibilities will be consistent store to store. Was offered the possibility of taking this role. Would be my first TL role. Have Logistics, Salesfloor and POG experience. But, all before the modernization transition started. Been Backroom/Ship since 4th quarter. We're low vol. ($20mil).

Worried mostly about having time to plan everything for transitions and juggle main concentration areas. Wish we had stronger TMs in pog too.
I thought the 1, 2, 3, 4, and so on varied by store.

Here’s a hypothetical setup; one GM will own a portion of the PP2 areas and team, end-to-end. They will also oversee presentation. I don’t think ours will be a permanent key carrier, but will be issued temporary keys when assisting with major transitions with the transition team. Being end to end, you’ll have complete ownership of your area. Once it is unloaded and sorted from the truck, your team pushes it, zoning as they go, backstock it, audits it, pulls the autos for it, and sets salesplanners and revisions for it. They’ll do the price change for it, and maintain their backroom aisles of it, PTMing and keeping discontinued product out of the back room and getting it sold before it goes on clearance. It sounds like a lot, but they’ll have only a small chunk of the sales floor. Every TM pretty much is either a dedicated business owner of a chunk of the floor, or they’re a secondary person for that area. Everyone should work the same area every shift.

Another GM will own the other portion of PP2 end-to-end, as well as overseeing flexible fulfillment. Not a key carrier.

Another GM will own a portion of PP1, as well as overseeing unload/inbound operations/reverse logistics with a peer. This one is a key carrier.

Another GM will own the other portion of PP1, and will also oversee unload/inbound/reverse log with the above TL. I imagine they’ll split up the different aspects of it, and they’ll rotate which days they run the unload. This one is a key carrier.

Food and bev TL will also be a key carrier.

3 service and engagement (gstls), at least one key carrier.

2 style TLs, one key carrier.

Closing TL, key carrier.

No more electronics or beauty TL.

Here’s a hypothetical setup; one GM will own a portion of the PP2 areas and team, end-to-end. They will also oversee presentation.

This is our GM2. We're only getting 3. Probably because it's a small store. 3 trucks typically.

I'm hesitant mostly because of the presentation workload. It burnt out a lot of leaders in the past or just ran them under. We only had one year we were ahead. Every other year we were behind on sets. Or we were neglecting one department to cover our asses. It was a lot of poor planning because there was barely any planning. I'm just worried the same will happen if I take the role. And then I'll get stressed out cause once you're behind, you're only playing catch-up till 4th quarter. It's a cruel system.

This is our GM2. We're only getting 3. Probably because it's a small store. 3 trucks typically.

I'm hesitant mostly because of the presentation workload. It burnt out a lot of leaders in the past or just ran them under. We only had one year we were ahead. Every other year we were behind on sets. Or we were neglecting one department to cover our asses. It was a lot of poor planning because there was barely any planning. I'm just worried the same will happen if I take the role. And then I'll get stressed out cause once you're behind, you're only playing catch-up till 4th quarter. It's a cruel system.
Owning the presentation aspect isn’t the same as the role of the presentation TL. The other TLs and their teams will own most of their workload. The transition team will mostly work GM, unless needed to help with full transitions, in which case they’ll lend their presentation efficiency and expertise to the area with the transition. When there’s a major transition, you’ll assist the respective TL with the planning and sequencing of it, and utilizing the transition team as needed for it. Beyond that, your ownership of presentation will consist of keeping an eye on upcoming workload and keeping an eye on the adjacency calendar and transition workload tool (or whatever is replacing it on greenfield) and emailing your peers about it to make sure they are on it. I’m guessing you’ll be able to schedule a few hours for dealing with ISM and the fixture room.

Not necessarily a key carrier as you wouldn’t be there with the inbound team . Key carriers are at SD discretion . In my store just me , the inbound tl remained with keys since we are the only two in the store at 5 am , and the closing lead . As for gm is as the other post stated . But only with 3 trucks a week should be dam easy to do everything it’s to do and more .

In my store all of the GM TL’s and one Style TL are key carriers. SE TL and FB TL’s are not. However, the SE TL’s still work regular closing/opening shifts. Can’t seem to get a straight answer about why either. Adding to the frustration now is that the new key holders are getting codes for the cash office which means that our peers have to let us into our work center now. When this rolled out, our SD said that we would not be closing/opening so we wouldn’t need keys and yet we are. So this makes makes it seem like we are trusted to be in the store on our own or at the very least to open a key box. Apologies for the rant, but this has been an ongoing issue form myself and my co-worker. We are both frustrated and feeling like we are being taken advantage of.

In my store all of the GM TL’s and one Style TL are key carriers. SE TL and FB TL’s are not. However, the SE TL’s still work regular closing/opening shifts. Can’t seem to get a straight answer about why either. Adding to the frustration now is that the new key holders are getting codes for the cash office which means that our peers have to let us into our work center now. When this rolled out, our SD said that we would not be closing/opening so we wouldn’t need keys and yet we are. So this makes makes it seem like we are trusted to be in the store on our own or at the very least to open a key box. Apologies for the rant, but this has been an ongoing issue form myself and my co-worker. We are both frustrated and feeling like we are being taken advantage of.

This is the explanation given to me as far as Key Carriers are concerned. First big change, Key Carrier status does not come with a pay increase for having keys. That has been taken away. Secondly, keys are now specifically given to TLs that are scheduled to do perimeter checks. If you are never scheduled to do a perimeter check, you are never expected to get keys. So mid-shift TLs will not have Master keys. The perimeter schedule is 30mins earlier/later than opening/closing shift schedules. A TM will also be scheduled at that time for the buddy-system, never alone reason. At my store, most of the key holders are also scheduled to run a truck unload. The weekly Closing TL will have keys obviously. My SD and one ETL also have keys, but most of the other TLs do not.

As for cash office, we never had TLs in that role. Always a TM and always had to be let into the room. ASANTS, so I assume this is not consistent across the board. However, all TLs in my store do have access codes to the cash office, so if they're scheduled to open, they should have access to do the morning processing. IDK though as we don't have those TLs in role yet and those duties are being handled by TMs that don't have access.

There are TLs that have had key responsibilities, that have lost their keys in this transition. So it's a company wide scenario.

As I understand it: SRTL in the past used to get a pay bump for carrying keys. Now that SR is going away, ALL TL are peers at the same PAy Grade but only SOME will carry keys (with no ADDITIONAL pay over their peers). We have 11 TL, only 5 of those carry keys even though we are all the same pay grade. By discretion of Store Director . Probably depends mostly on the roles, maybe just a little on the person.

Planning presentation is easy and fun if you have been trained well. I learned on my own and was nervous for about 6 months until I got the hang of it. After a year you will see the entire store re-set and the following time is a piece of cake. Absolutely vital you get the best of the best team members or you will be miserable.
I’m hoping for a few strong replacements myself because I find myself picking up too much slack from what some of the presentation team leaves not quite finished or sloppily done. I’m going to spend more time auditing and coaching so I spend less time finishing and fixing.
Planning ahead and communicating what needs doing and when assistance is required to finish on time is vital. It’s a great position if there is a great team.

Thanks for the reply:). At my store TL’s don’t do cash office either, we just have been a little bit salty about the closing/opening schedule. And now with the key carrier and cash office codes added in, its just adding to the frustration. Not a lot of communication and at times not a lot of interest in our work center or development. Definitely feeling left out of all the modernization.

Anyone have a definitive response to what Commodities represents for GM2? Still trying to figure out all my areas. This is one we're not sure about.

Your areas will probably either be home/domestics or like toys/sporting goods/automotive and seasonal. At least from what i understand GM2 and 3 lead mostly PP2 areas and GM1 is responsible for truck process and they usually lead in areas of PP1- chemicals/paper/hba etc... but yes its ASANTS and i believe all stores are implementing and adjusting based on business needs.

Last edited:
Anyone have a definitive response to what Commodities represents for GM2? Still trying to figure out all my areas. This is one we're not sure about.
Gm2 dólar spot, b-block , c and d. Gm3 toys , sports , sea , check lanes and gift cards and SFS. Gm1 inbound and pp1

GM2 for our store is Paper, Pets, Chem, Auto and Commodities. But, we don't know what Commodities represents. That's the confusing part of the guide.

GM2 for our store is Paper, Pets, Chem, Auto and Commodities. But, we don't know what Commodities represents. That's the confusing part of the guide.
So what’s gm 1 if you have all the priority 1 in gm2? Because gm2 doesn’t start until 8 am or 10 am

So what’s gm 1 if you have all the priority 1 in gm2? Because gm2 doesn’t start until 8 am or 10 am
GM1 Office, Dom, Storage, Home, Seasonal and Baby.
GM3 Toys, Luggage, Sporting Goods, 1 spot and checklanes.

I think. I'm not positive though.

Paper and Chem are called out in the guide. Commodities is a third area. But we don't have anything specified in our store as Commodities. That's the confusion.

. Yes they are , sprt dbo also owns plastics , bpls. And home dbo owns furn and heck and hell
lol@ the same person owning furniture and hearth and hand. Heavy as fuck furniture to pull push and backstock, and also being able to maintain the VMGs for hearth and hand? Forgive me for stereotyping but I imagine finding someone good at both those types of task isn’t exactly easy. The DBO for H&H also owns home innovation candles frames lamps. DBO for furniture owns plastics home improvement and plug.

lol@ the same person owning furniture and hearth and hand. Heavy as fuck furniture to pull push and backstock, and also being able to maintain the VMGs for hearth and hand? Forgive me for stereotyping but I imagine finding someone good at both those types of task isn’t exactly easy. The DBO for H&H also owns home innovation candles frames lamps. DBO for furniture owns plastics home improvement and plug.
The vmg for those departments are owned by the visual merchandiser . The dbo only stocks those are after it’s been set.

The vmg for those departments are owned by the visual merchandiser . The dbo only stocks those are after it’s been set.
Okay so I’ll play along and agree that the VM actually owns and maintains the setting of it.

Pushing dec home flats is a bit different than the rest of hardlines. But yeah, most VMs are too busy doing who knows what in softlines and are merely a ‘resource’ to help people with VMGs.

Don’t get me wrong, I actually wholeheartedly agree with you on this one, but seems to be the norm that VMs neglect anything that isn’t moments and mannequins

Okay so I’ll play along and agree that the VM actually owns and maintains the setting of it.

Pushing dec home flats is a bit different than the rest of hardlines. But yeah, most VMs are too busy doing who knows what in softlines and are merely a ‘resource’ to help people with VMGs.

Don’t get me wrong, I actually wholeheartedly agree with you on this one, but seems to be the norm that VMs neglect anything that isn’t moments and mannequins
I agree, however with 2 etls and 4 soft lines tls at my store , my vm can’t get away with not doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back