Archived GSA rant

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobbasg1

GSA
So I have been GSA for about a year now at a C volume store. Our goal is normally between 40-60 and we hardly ever reach it, normally getting in the high 20s- mid 30s. It has become EXTREMELY stressful for myself, the other GSAs and GSTL with the LODS (mainly ETL-GE/SF and STL) up our asses, which I get. HOWEVER, we recently got a lot of new leadership, including ETL-GE/ SF and STL. The ETL came right out of college and is young, so knows close to nothing. The STL transferred to our store after our old one left due to her husband being stationed somewhere else. Recently, both of them have been tag teaming and basically, what another GSA calls it, bullying our GSTL. Our GSTL has been with Target for over 20 years and a GSTL for 17 of them, so she is experienced and our DTL has known her for lord knows how long. She comes out of meetings defeated and actually is so hurt by the words of them that she cries, also because she got coached for it.

That was just a back story, I am basically wondering what other GSAs/ GSTLs do to drive REDcards. We feel like we do everything we can, but maybe new advice could help.

Honestly, it's just a lack of cashiers asking. Usually if each and every cashier asks each and every guest if they're using a redcard and pitch it a little, you should be able to pull out at least 7 a day. I personally don't ask unless I hear something about Cartwheel and saving money, see lots of items that are expensive, gaming console purchases, gamers, and people buying $300+ in grocery items. Ya know, the people who are investing a lot who I think would appreciate saving a bit of money.

I hate the excuse "Oh I have too many cards already." or "I know you have the debit option but I just don't want a redcard" is total BS. Literally with 0 strings attached you save 5% on every purchase with only some exclusions that could be open to abuse. Hell, I don't wanna pay the amount I'm supposed to pay, so for sure I'll be saving that extra $1 or 4 cents or $20. I'm surprised some Target TMs absolutely refuse to get a redcard just to spite target. It's stupid. %15 off on everything except those abusable exclusions.

I've made the plea so many times "Oh I mean I literally just wanna save ya some money and have you shop here more often. Literally 0 strings attached." and people will go "eh." and not sign up... or won't sign up in store so it doesn't count towards me. Or go to Guest Services, GAH. :mad:

But, I'd start giving some incentives. Food from Food Ave, free Starbucks, Gift Cards(literally paying your cashiers to ask because god forbid.), and extended breaks. stuff like that motivates at least one cashier.. I think. I know the free food certainly did. One time my store did a thing where if you got a red card, you had 1 minute to go get stuff up to $15 and it'd be free if you got items for $15 or under and you were back in 1 minute.

We are having issues meeting our goals as well. Even our top performers are having a hard time getting red cards. Our store use is 33%, so 1/3 of our guests are already using a red card. The other 2/3 of our guests are so tired of being asked. I strongly dislike red cards.

We are a D-volume with a goal in the neighboorhood of 50 and frequently make the goal. Not only do you have to ask every guest, you have to sell the RED Card, you have to educate the guests about the perks, you have to drop a pamphlet in their bag so they think about it when they get home.

Bottom line is, if your store isn't getting RED Cards, the blame gets placed squarely on the shoulders of the GSTL. If the GSTL were training, developing, and properly holding TMs accountable, then your store would regularly get more RED Cards. You can pity your GSTL and she can cry all she wants, but she needs to participate in a culture change at your store, or move on to somewhere else.

Bottom line is, if your store isn't getting RED Cards, the blame gets placed squarely on the shoulders of the GSTL. If the GSTL were training, developing, and properly holding TMs accountable, then your store would regularly get more RED Cards. You can pity your GSTL and she can cry all she wants, but she needs to participate in a culture change at your store, or move on to somewhere else.

Culture Change: gift cards, free food or Starbucks.

How many red cards did you get last week, personally? If the team tries hard to red cards, get them a break.

I'm specifically talking about the issue in this thread. A store continually underperforming isn't going to turn around their performance with some drinks from SBUX. Reward someone who goes above and beyond their core roles, not someone just doing the expectation. Getting a RED Card or 2 for a store with a goal of 70+ a week isn't reward worthy IMO.

Your opinion. My interpretation of "core role" is not the same as yours. I know I get more cards when I get a little something that the non performing cashiers don't get.

The issue is getting the underperforming cashiers up to your level. By just rewarding cashiers who already do well does not fix the problem. Getting rid of those who won't perform without an extra incentive is the issue.

I'm specifically talking about the issue in this thread. A store continually underperforming isn't going to turn around their performance with some drinks from SBUX. Reward someone who goes above and beyond their core roles, not someone just doing the expectation. Getting a RED Card or 2 for a store with a goal of 70+ a week isn't reward worthy IMO.
Ok. I had covered electronics one night & hl, only 2 transactions all night. Should spot penalized me, for not getting red cards. I did ask on a game & some batteries.

my store is about to meet this special month goal after meeting 4 weekly goals....$800 extra. we are rewarding our whole store with a pizza party, and with with our top performers or all cashiers a small personal gift basket to show that we actually care and think about them and appreciate the extra hard work they put in.

Holding TMs accountable for their performance provides much better results than giving someone a reward for merely just performing their core roles.

Eh, you have to be careful with this. There are too many overzealous GSTLs who love to coach TMs for not selling red cards. The TMs feel too much pressure and morale goes to hell.

Our most successful GSTLs inspire the cashiers. Keep morale high and do incentives (not every day but every now and then) to motivate the team.

Ok. I had covered electronics one night & hl, only 2 transactions all night. Should spot penalized me, for not getting red cards. I did ask on a game & some batteries.

Having a cashier shift and getting 2 transactions in Electronics are two completely different scenarios.

Getting rid of those who won't perform without an extra incentive is the issue

We shouldnt get rid of anyone unless they are intentionally negligent on their job. I dont understand painting everyone with one brush. Some people will sell red cards better than others.

We have a cashier who almost never sells red cards. He stutters and is very soft spoken but he gives incredible guest service. We value him to death even if he struggles to sell. Would he be coached out at your store for not performing?

Eh, you have to be careful with this. There are too many overzealous GSTLs who love to coach TMs for not selling red cards. The TMs feel too much pressure and morale goes to hell.

Our most successful GSTLs inspire the cashiers. Keep morale high and do incentives (not every day but every now and then) to motivate the team.
my GSAs and GSTLs stopped slamming us with redbirds after we found it wasn't helping. they laid off a lot. low and behold we are meeting our weekly goal by at least 5 each week. they gave us gift cards for getting red cards, and they let us pie them in the face, and they would say "you can get one!" not "you NEED to get one or else"

We shouldnt get rid of anyone unless they are intentionally negligent on their job. I dont understand painting everyone with one brush. Some people will sell red cards better than others.

We have a cashier who almost never sells red cards. He stutters and is very soft spoken but he gives incredible guest service. We value him to death even if he struggles to sell. Would he be coached out at your store for not performing?

The short answer: yes.

Having the right person in the right place is a key ingredient to having a successful store. If you have a great TM who is a cashier, but is awful at getting RED Card, move that TM off the registers. We have moved these TMs to Food Ave, Sales Floor, etc. While being a leader, you have got to be consistent with development and accountability. Giving preferential treatment to a TM (a great TM that is a cashier who can't get RED Cards) creates several issues that can be a nightmare to correct.

The short answer: yes.

Having the right person in the right place is a key ingredient to having a successful store. If you have a great TM who is a cashier, but is awful at getting RED Card, move that TM off the registers. We have moved these TMs to Food Ave, Sales Floor, etc. While being a leader, you have got to be consistent with development and accountability. Giving preferential treatment to a TM (a great TM that is a cashier who can't get RED Cards) creates several issues that can be a nightmare to correct.

See and thats why I cant imagine morale being very high at your store.

Sell red cards or else you will be moved or let go. Many studies have shown few people work well under pressure, but plenty work well when they feel motivated and supported.

Yes corporate has a focus on red cards but there is also great focus on great guest service. Some of our low RC cashiers are mentioned on our guest survey because they offer fast fun and friendly service.

Each store can do it their own way I suppose but I know which one isnt going to burn out their cashiers.

So I have been GSA for about a year now at a C volume store. Our goal is normally between 40-60 and we hardly ever reach it, normally getting in the high 20s- mid 30s. It has become EXTREMELY stressful for myself, the other GSAs and GSTL with the LODS (mainly ETL-GE/SF and STL) up our asses, which I get. HOWEVER, we recently got a lot of new leadership, including ETL-GE/ SF and STL. The ETL came right out of college and is young, so knows close to nothing. The STL transferred to our store after our old one left due to her husband being stationed somewhere else. Recently, both of them have been tag teaming and basically, what another GSA calls it, bullying our GSTL. Our GSTL has been with Target for over 20 years and a GSTL for 17 of them, so she is experienced and our DTL has known her for lord knows how long. She comes out of meetings defeated and actually is so hurt by the words of them that she cries, also because she got coached for it.

That was just a back story, I am basically wondering what other GSAs/ GSTLs do to drive REDcards. We feel like we do everything we can, but maybe new advice could help.
All you can do is get cashiers to ask everything adult guest. High dollar transactions get the cashiers to ask multiple times with the estimated discount.

The issue is getting the underperforming cashiers up to your level. By just rewarding cashiers who already do well does not fix the problem. Getting rid of those who won't perform without an extra incentive is the issue.

I wouldn't push for more than 1 or 2 per shift if there wasn't some sort of incentive that appealed to me.

See and thats why I cant imagine morale being very high at your store.

Sell red cards or else you will be moved or let go. Many studies have shown few people work well under pressure, but plenty work well when they feel motivated and supported.

Yes corporate has a focus on red cards but there is also great focus on great guest service. Some of our low RC cashiers are mentioned on our guest survey because they offer fast fun and friendly service.

Each store can do it their own way I suppose but I know which one isnt going to burn out their cashiers.

Morale can be effected both ways. You can either set clear expectations that you will hold everyone accountable or you can pick and choose who you will hold accountable for underperforming.

In the first scenario, TMs know what they are expected to do - sell the RED Card to every guest that passes through your line. Practice makes perfect. TMs may feel uncomfortable at first, but will learn the strategies, build a comfort level, and reduce pressure as a routine is built. You can argue that holding TMs accountable to their core roles puts pressure on them to perform, but as long as expectations are clear and everyone is held to the same standard, those that want a job will learn the routine, making it natural and and decrease pressure.

In the second scenario, you can hold no one accountable and just hope you have cashiers who will come in and want to perform well. These cashiers will carry most of the burden, while watching underperformers get away with not performing up to company standards, lowering the morale of the top performers. At some point the better TMs will stop performing and just wait until rewards are handed out in order to step up their game.

Our store does very well on the BTS. We set clear expectations, hold everyone accountable to an equal standard, and reward those who make a concerted effort to exceed expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back