Archived GSA/SEA Pay Difference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I talked to my HR ETL and come to find out cashiers and GSA are going to be making the same amount hourly which is 12, it’s absolutely crazy that a gsa has to do bAsicly everything a GSTL does (beside writing PDDs ) but at the same time get payed the same as a cashier, I’m currently already looking for a new job but for now on I’m basicly done with this gsa position, I’m done arguing price and coupon with guess if the price is 200 dollar lower than they can have it for 200 dollar lower, they can use as much coupons as they want, and steal as much as they want. Because target is the real theift when it comes down to it. And I was a very hard worker .. target truelly dissapointed me today.

When we did the reviews this year 3 GSAs put in their 2 weeks. The store offered them .50 more an hour if they stayed. Two of them decided to stay.

Won't that get absorbed when base pay moves to $13. Or will the store honor the .50 bump again?

Coming from someone who got promoted from gsa to gstl it’s never been about the .50 so I don’t see what the big deal is. I don’t know about anyone else’s store but my store is pretty picky about gsas and the intention is always a developmental role to see if someone is ready to be a TL. It’s definitely an ASANTs situation but gsa should not be doing “everything a gstl does except coaching” which I seem to hear a lot but ask anyone who’s gone from gsa to gstl there is definitely a lot more work that goes into it and pressure from above that the gsas don’t see. Gsas tend to take on more than necessary and act as though it’s required of them. For example if the gsd calls you over to fix something and the guest asks to speak to a manager, I have a couple that will just claim well I am the manager. No.... just call the LOD and stop acting like you run the place. I have plenty of cashiers that would be more than capable of watching the front and the only reason I trust my gsas more than said cashiers is they get more communication than the cashiers for obvious reasons. If gsas strictly did what gsas were supposed to do they’re nothing more than a senior cashier of sorts. Now coming from gsas I totally agree the position sucks and you’re taken advantage of so clearly people aren’t doing it for the money so why is it such a big deal now. Are people really upset about that 4 dollars a day?

For example if the gsd calls you over to fix something and the guest asks to speak to a manager, I have a couple that will just claim well I am the manager. No.... just call the LOD and stop acting like you run the place.
To be fair, the first line of the official GSA job position is:

As a Guest Service Attendant, you manage the front end and are the face of what we stand for.

Manage/supervise it doesn’t really matter what you call it, in the eyes of target gsas are not managers. TLs trying to play off like they’re the manager is hard enough. I’m not saying gsas don’t do a ton and trust me I know I was one for a couple years but realistically they’re paid for what they’re supposed to do. The job titles of everyone at target incorporate “the face of what we stand for”

GSAs do run the front end. To pretend that they aren’t expected to not run the front end is not accurate. They are allowed to take manager calls for the front end and it’s part of their core roles to address guest issues. If you’re instructing them to just “call the LOD” when they ask to speak to a supervisor, you’re not understanding their role or the gstls role either.

Not what I’m saying.... if theyre called to guest service and the the guest is unhappy with their decision and asked to speak to a manager under no circumstance would I expect my gsas to claim to be the manager and not call the LOD and honestly unless it’s an issue the GSA is directly involved in he/she should not be taking calls when someone asks to speak to a manager. The LOD and if unavailable the TLOD.

GSAs do run the front end. To pretend that they aren’t expected to not run the front end is not accurate. They are allowed to take manager calls for the front end and it’s part of their core roles to address guest issues. If you’re instructing them to just “call the LOD” when they ask to speak to a supervisor, you’re not understanding their role or the gstls role either.
Also notice your wording.... they are “supervisors” not managers. A GSA in any other retail environment would be a shift leader or head cashier. Just because target has weird leardership titles doesn’t make a GSA a manager. It’s that kind of mind set that makes gsas think they are entitled and are “basically gstls”

Also notice your wording.... they are “supervisors” not managers. A GSA in any other retail environment would be a shift leader or head cashier. Just because target has weird leardership titles doesn’t make a GSA a manager. It’s that kind of mind set that makes gsas think they are entitled and are “basically gstls”
Supervisor or manager they can take the call. They are there to resolve guest issues. They should not be calling the lod every time a guest asks to speak to a manager in the front especially if they can fix the issue. If I was the lod and I was being called to the front for every manager call and the gsa told me that the gstl intructed them to do so, it would give me the perception that their leader doesn’t know how to develop their team nor understand what is expected of them.

Supervisor or manager they can take the call. They are there to resolve guest issues. They should not be calling the lod every time a guest asks to speak to a manager in the front especially if they can fix the issue. If I was the lod and I was being called to the front for every manager call and the gsa told me that the gstl intructed them to do so, it would give me the perception that their leader doesn’t know how to develop their team nor understand what is expected of them.
I mean the same could be said for a Sr TL that doesn’t feel like dealing with a guest issue. I guess I’m just used to leadership that doesn’t mind helping out and acting as the LOD. But to reiterate what I said I’m not saying they should call the LOD anytime a guests asks to speak to a manager but if a GSA gives a guest an answer and they aren’t happy with it, the train doesn’t stop there and the guest knows that. Anyone who’s ever worked or shopped in retail know there are levels and if they don’t like the GSAs answer they will once again ask to speak to THE manager. All I’m saying is I have GSAs that week to think they are in charge and their word is god. If a guests asks to speak to a manger because they don’t like what the GSA has to say then they should 100% call the LOd

I mean the same could be said for a Sr TL that doesn’t feel like dealing with a guest issue. I guess I’m just used to leadership that doesn’t mind helping out and acting as the LOD. But to reiterate what I said I’m not saying they should call the LOD anytime a guests asks to speak to a manager but if a GSA gives a guest an answer and they aren’t happy with it, the train doesn’t stop there and the guest knows that. Anyone who’s ever worked or shopped in retail know there are levels and if they don’t like the GSAs answer they will once again ask to speak to THE manager. All I’m saying is I have GSAs that week to think they are in charge and their word is god. If a guests asks to speak to a manger because they don’t like what the GSA has to say then they should 100% call the LOd
Well LOD is being phased out, so get used to handling the issue if you are the Service and Engagement Advocate/SEA/Lead/Leader. There’s no LOD to call.

Well LOD is being phased out, so get used to handling the issue if you are the Service and Engagement Advocate/SEA/Lead/Leader. There’s no LOD to call.
I appreciate the tip but my statement was about gsas entitlement and giving my opinion as to one of the reasons I think they believe that they deserve more money. I have no issue dealing with guest issues that’s what my entire job is centered around even though your statement is sorta true. There will always be a ranking person unless you are an ETL or “leader”.

I appreciate the tip but my statement was about gsas entitlement and giving my opinion as to one of the reasons I think they believe that they deserve more money. I have no issue dealing with guest issues that’s what my entire job is centered around even though your statement is sorta true. There will always be a ranking person unless you are an ETL or “leader”.
I read what you said there are gsa who think their words is god, and probably take on way more than they have to but I truelly believe that gsa deserve a raised and payed differently from cashiers because at the end of the day they are in charged of way more than a cashiers starting with the keys responsibility and idk about anyone else but gsa open and close registers by them self and work their own shifts. Gsa basicly do cashier work(ringing up on register) and gstl job. At most stores Ilv been gsa are in charge of all management calls and if they can’t handle it they pass it to LOD . At the end of the day if a cashier can do a gsa job than take the damn position away. Also I understand that gsa positions are there to help transform into a TL gstl but so is a senior TL becoming a ETL but you don’t see them making the same as a TL rate. Gsa jobs are there to make gstl workload lighter just like TL jobs are there to make senior TL workload lighter. LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS THINK

I read what you said there are gsa who think their words is god, and probably take on way more than they have to but I truelly believe that gsa deserve a raised and payed differently from cashiers because at the end of the day they are in charged of way more than a cashiers starting with the keys responsibility and idk about anyone else but gsa open and close registers by them self and work their own shifts. Gsa basicly do cashier work(ringing up on register) and gstl job. At most stores Ilv been gsa are in charge of all management calls and if they can’t handle it they pass it to LOD . At the end of the day if a cashier can do a gsa job than take the damn position away. Also I understand that gsa positions are there to help transform into a TL gstl but so is a senior TL becoming a ETL but you don’t see them making the same as a TL rate. Gsa jobs are there to make gstl workload lighter just like TL jobs are there to make senior TL workload lighter. LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU GUYS THINK
I agree they should get something but was the 50 cents really worth it? The only thing I disagree with is your thing about TLs making it easier for seniors. TLs and seniors are peers not above and below. Seniors have their own departments to worry about. TLs report to their etls.

All I know is if I had it to do over, I'd have said "no, thanks" when approached re: being a GSA (which is what I was called at the time). The 50 cents wasn't worth it, so making the same as the cashiers certainly isn't. The stress is taking a toll on my mental and physical health.

As for "entitlement," I can't speak for all GSAs/SEAs, but I certainly don't think my word is gospel. I'm fully aware it isn't. If a guest wants to speak to a higher-up, I find one without argument.

I agree they should get something but was the 50 cents really worth it? The only thing I disagree with is your thing about TLs making it easier for seniors. TLs and seniors are peers not above and below. Seniors have their own departments to worry about. TLs report to their etls.
Maybe he meant more when the SrTL is LOD, the TLs are making their work load lighter?

The 50 cent didn’t even come close to being worth it but atlist they got something that separated A cashier pay rate and gsa but now it’s basicly nothing, at my store gsa are in charge of POGs I would love to see a cashier going on the computer and printing out POG labels and setting up encaps. I say take the position off if the pay isn’t going to change, because I’m pretty sure TL would not want the promotion to SENOIR TL if there wasn’t a pay raise

The 50 cent didn’t even come close to being worth it but atlist they got something that separated A cashier pay rate and gsa but now it’s basicly nothing, at my store gsa are in charge of POGs I would love to see a cashier going on the computer and printing out POG labels and setting up encaps. I say take the position off if the pay isn’t going to change, because I’m pretty sure TL would not want the promotion to SENOIR TL if there wasn’t a pay raise
To be fair a ton of hardlines TMs art sales planners in my store and they’re only paid the 12 dollars an hour

My store actually increased the GSA/SEA pay differential. I won’t say how much because I don’t want to out myself, but it does make me feel a lot better about it particularly because I do pretty much everything our GSTLs do with the exception of talent management.

at my store gsa are in charge of POGs

I think this comes back to the point @gsa4lyfe was trying to make. YOU shouldn't be setting POGs and building endcaps. GSAs are supposed to be available for guests at all times, and that means GSAs are not supposed to be tasking at the front lanes. I can get on Workbench tomorrow to prove that. I know that some stores expect a lot more of their GSAs (mine included), but corporate is paying GSAs for what they're expecting GSAs to do: watch the front lanes and support the GSTL. Anything more than that is your store piling on.

Please don't get me wrong: I'm not saying that it's easy or that it's fair for the work that your store is making you do. The real issue is the fact that your store is making you do that work in the first place, because it literally isn't supposed to be your job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back