Archived GSA vs. Starbucks TL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy folks!

I recently moved and applied to target. My ex worked at a Target, and as far as retail goes, I figured I would enjoy it.

I have a rather good guest service background despite being 21, so I decided to apply for a GSTM position.

I was called back for a second interview and basically told that they would like me to either become a GSA or a Starbucks TL. I have a third interview next week with someone who wasn't available today.

I have the feeling that if I strongly prefer one vs. the other, that would be the position they give to me. So, what would pros and cons (for someone who has never worked at Target before) be? I realize that a TL is obviously (at least a pay) step up from a GSA, but if I want to advance in the company, would it be better to go for the GSA position?

Thanks in advance for your advice/suggestions!

Tl;DR New to Target and basically offered GSA vs Starbucks TL; which to choose?

Last edited:
Howdy folks!

I recently moved and applied to target. My ex worked at a Target, and as far as retail goes, I figured I would enjoy it.

I have a rather good guest service background despite being 21, so I decided to apply for a GSTM position.

I was called back for a second interview and basically told that they would like me to either become a GSA or a STL. I have a third interview next week with someone who wasn't available today.

I have the feeling that if I strongly prefer one vs. the other, that would be the position they give to me. So, what would pros and cons (for someone who has never worked at Target before) be? I realize that a TL is obviously (at least a pay) step up from a GSA, but if I want to advance in the company, would it be better to go for the GSA position?

Thanks in advance for your advice/suggestions!

Tl;DR New to Target and basically offered GSA vs STL; which to choose?
A Store Team Lead (STL) or a Softlines Team Lead (SLTL) ?

If I had to choose, I would go with Starbucks TL.

GSA is basically a GSTL that makes way less and has to work with a hand tied behind their back because they can't actually enforce anything.

Starbucks TL you get better pay, more/better hours, and it'll start you higher up on the food chain if you want to promote. Just make sure you're diligent with making your team follow their cleaning routines and you'll be golden

I'd go for the Starbucks TL position. As an external hire I think you'd be able to pick up SBX better/quicker than GSA. While both positions are very hectic, in Starbucks you'd just be focused on making drinks, cleaning, and stocking. As a GSA you'd have to learn registers, service desk, and how the store works across teams and workcenters (i.e. how to get an item from the backroom for a guest; the best way to clear out reshops; etc.) Those are gross over-simplifications; neither job is easy, but Starbucks is more straightforward.

Once you are comfortable in your role in SBX, you'd be able to start branching out and making yourself valuable on the floor. ASANTS though. In some stores the SBTL is expected to just do SBX and Cafe (Yes, as SBTL you would be running Cafe as well). In other stores they push for the SBTL to be more visible on the floor. You don't need to head over to softlines or anything, but build those relationships with the Market TLs. Take ownership fo your schedule, talent development, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back